• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Not modern and not a comic, but first Boba Fett published cover appearance is Famous Monsters 165?  July 1980.  Can't seem to find another publication before that with him on the cover.   

San Rafael Newspaper: Independent Journal Sep 25th 1978
When Fett comes up I always think of this article and I still want a copy.

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-real-first-appearance-of-boba-fett

4 minutes ago, Rip said:

San Rafael Newspaper: Independent Journal Sep 25th 1978
When Fett comes up I always think of this article and I still want a copy.

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-real-first-appearance-of-boba-fett

I read about that parade before.  Pretty cool.  

Here is another one...first Thrawn was in Star Wars Insider 25.  Dave Dorman did a 2 page pin up.  

54 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Here is another one...first Thrawn was in Star Wars Insider 25.  Dave Dorman did a 2 page pin up.  

Thrawn is on the artwork cover of Star Wars Heir To The Empire (1991).  It's not a comic book, but neither is Star Wars Insider #25 (1995).

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Not modern and not a comic, but first Boba Fett published cover appearance is Famous Monsters 165?  July 1980.  Can't seem to find another publication before that with him on the cover.   

Very nice, but I'm stuck on the fact that it's a photo.  Seems like there should be other Boba Fett ESB photos used on publications prior to July 1980. Converting the "actors' photo reality" into the "artists' comic world" seems to be a different "first appearance" question (to collectors) than the uses of freely-distributed movie publicity photos.

Edited by valiantman

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Very nice, but I'm stuck on the fact that it's a photo.  Seems like there should be other Boba Fett ESB photos used on publications prior to July 1980. Converting the "actors' photo reality" into the "artists' comic world" seems to be a different "first appearance" question (to collectors) than the uses of freely-distributed movie publicity photos.

I think Boba Fett is a movie character who is beyond just the comic book community's exposure.  Similar to how Michael Jordan early Sports Illustrated covers fetch big dollars, well Famous Monsters 165 is the first and yes CGC grades them. 

11 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:
2 hours ago, valiantman said:

I think Boba Fett is a movie character who is beyond just the comic book community's exposure.  Similar to how Michael Jordan early Sports Illustrated covers fetch big dollars, well Famous Monsters 165 is the first and yes CGC grades them. 

Interesting comparison.  The earliest Sports Illustrated covers for Michael Jordan are older than his basketball cards, significantly rarer than his basketball cards (especially slab counts), and somehow significantly cheaper than his early basketball cards.  There is definitely some "critical point" between earlier-and-rarer and later-but-popular which actually favors later-but-popular.  It would make sense that "earlier-and-rarer" deserves the higher value, but we're not seeing it consistently.  Star Wars #42 is definitely "later-but-popular" and winning at the moment, but part of that popularity is based on the incorrect labeling as "1st Boba Fett".  In a way, Star Wars #42 is benefitting from both the "earlier" side logic and the "later-but-popular" factor because it is continually being misrepresented as "1st".

6 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Felt for sure I had an OO copy of Star Wars Insider 25. Just checked and I started buying from issue 26. Oh well. I hope Star Wars Galaxy mags start seeing some heat! 

10 hours ago, valiantman said:

Thrawn is on the artwork cover of Star Wars Heir To The Empire (1991).  It's not a comic book, but neither is Star Wars Insider #25 (1995).

Since we are the topic of Thrawn.  I thought I would add this for the Star Wars collectors. Dark Horse Insider #44

Insider2.png

Insider.png

Insider1.png

10 hours ago, valiantman said:

Interesting comparison.  The earliest Sports Illustrated covers for Michael Jordan are older than his basketball cards, significantly rarer than his basketball cards (especially slab counts), and somehow significantly cheaper than his early basketball cards.  There is definitely some "critical point" between earlier-and-rarer and later-but-popular which actually favors later-but-popular.  It would make sense that "earlier-and-rarer" deserves the higher value, but we're not seeing it consistently.  Star Wars #42 is definitely "later-but-popular" and winning at the moment, but part of that popularity is based on the incorrect labeling as "1st Boba Fett".  In a way, Star Wars #42 is benefitting from both the "earlier" side logic and the "later-but-popular" factor because it is continually being misrepresented as "1st".

I think this is an interesting take. I imagine what it largely comes down to is that people put more money into the thing that is seen more as the thing that people collect. For pretty much my entire life, I thought of sports cards as something that people collect, and as comics as something that people collect. But not so much in regards to magazines (although obviously people do).

8 hours ago, Bare.min said:

Felt for sure I had an OO copy of Star Wars Insider 25. Just checked and I started buying from issue 26. Oh well. I hope Star Wars Galaxy mags start seeing some heat! 

Ouch . . . (we've all been there.):sorry:

On 1/3/2021 at 5:42 PM, Rip said:

Going to be very very tough to find 9.4 or better copies. I would guess if a 9.6 (or if a 9.8 exists?) pops up it would get something that would shock people. The vast majority of the copies I've seen are in the VF to VF/NM range.

It will be interesting to see what these Advance copies go for in the future as well. Final price for this dinged copy. $250.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-The-High-Republic-Adventures-1-Uncorrected-Advance-Copy-NotforResale/274632798751?hash=item3ff163f21f:g:Cd4AAOSwyo5f7zX8

I think I want that book. :p