Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
11 11

808 posts in this topic

On 12/31/2020 at 9:06 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

According to Mike's Amazing World, Marvel Special Edition preceded the Marvel Super Special by a few weeks.

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/comic.php?comicid=60832

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/comic.php?comicid=68418

I figure this is the best way to be sure; I've got 39-44 as well.

ESB.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The thing about those books is that we only had the original trilogy movies when Heir To The Empire arrived in 1991 - four years before the comic book adaptation - so the Heir To The Empire books were fantastic because you had to "watch" this new trilogy (Thrawn trilogy) in your head, page by page, using only what you could bring forward from the original trilogy, the cover art, and your imagination.  That tiny little artwork for Thrawn on the cover of Heir To The Empire novel might not look like much, but for those reading the books as they arrived, was enough to picture him doing everything for 1,200 pages over three books.  Yes, the 1995 comic book adaptation is the "first" Thrawn in comics but that's four years after Thrawn mattered to those of us "watching" as it happened. :grin:

thrawn1991.thumb.png.bdb40c1d1f80cdbaef559e981a480e1a.png

Nicely done. I love the part about using your head reading about it. That really accurate. The books were fantastic I need to finish the new ones as well.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Read the Thrawn trilogy books in my teens.  That was the first legit Star Wars content for any of us after Return of the Jedi.  Reactions were mixed at the the time but I enjoyed it.  There are alot of people that have fond memories of those novels which is why Thrawn should sustain interest over characters like Bane and Revan who at this point are a long shot to be seen in live action.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

hat was the first legit Star Wars content for any of us after Return of the Jedi. 

I was too young to pay attention and the internet wasn't really a thing, so I don't know how it was received, but this being the first SW content since ROTJ was a huge deal for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2021 at 12:17 AM, divad said:

I've never even seen 600 issues of Star Wars in one place . . . I guess I live a sheltered life.  lol

 

I pretty much bought every issue in nice shape from the marvel run in any dollar box for at least a decade. I don't know if I have 600 though. Maybe 300. Unfortunately, as I did not know which Dark Horse ones mattered, I bought less of those.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2021 at 10:57 AM, valiantman said:

The thing about those books is that we only had the original trilogy movies when Heir To The Empire arrived in 1991 - four years before the comic book adaptation - so the Heir To The Empire books were fantastic because you had to "watch" this new trilogy (Thrawn trilogy) in your head, page by page, using only what you could bring forward from the original trilogy, the cover art, and your imagination.  That tiny little artwork for Thrawn on the cover of Heir To The Empire novel might not look like much, but for those reading the books as they arrived, was enough to picture him doing everything for 1,200 pages over three books.  Yes, the 1995 comic book adaptation is the "first" Thrawn in comics but that's four years after Thrawn mattered to those of us "watching" as it happened. :grin:

thrawn1991.thumb.png.bdb40c1d1f80cdbaef559e981a480e1a.png

I suspect I'm a bit older (:preach:), but I remember a similar experience with Splinter of the Mind's Eye when it was released in February of 1978. Keep in mind, this was sandwiched in between Jaxxon the giant green rabbit of Marvel's first Star Wars issues (November, 1977?) and the dancing Wookies of the Star Wars Holiday Special (November, 1978). The idea that we could have relatively sophisticated original content between movies was mindblowing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pkveronese said:

So where the heck is this Grogu prototype in Star Wars Tales #13 or is this eBay lister just running with it?

There's a story with a nursery in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

There's a green yoda-like baby in the nursery.

That one corner of one panel is all there is. :grin:

Cz6gogkwJHouCc25-jaDEGl6r05QHOyN9h8Zoi_w81b6iw8wuM_ml2qQMeXh3ywAkaBYqTZTKsCh=s1600

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There's a story with a nursery in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

There's a green yoda-like baby in the nursery.

That one corner of one panel is all there is. :grin:

Cz6gogkwJHouCc25-jaDEGl6r05QHOyN9h8Zoi_w81b6iw8wuM_ml2qQMeXh3ywAkaBYqTZTKsCh=s1600

Woah that's a stretch! Creepy yoda nipples too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pkveronese said:

Woah that's a stretch! Creepy yoda nipples too.

If Luke had known about them yoda nips he would've milked them, instead of the weird monster from last jedi. :roflmao:

g_m3a-.gif

Edited by maidenmate91
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pkveronese said:

So where the heck is this Grogu prototype in Star Wars Tales #13 or is this eBay lister just running with it?

That's dumb I thought it was because the entire book is entirely compromised of Mace Windu stories. Mace Windu is a definite fan favorite, and most star wars tales comics are split stories, not entire dedications. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2021 at 1:32 PM, fastballspecial said:

Honestly I think the newsstand and Hasbro copies are undervalued as far as rarity. 

 

I agree.   I pick them up whenever I see them in back issue bins.  

Here is a completed listing for a huge lot of the Hasbro copies.    This looks like a toy store who opened the 2-figure comic packs for the figures and then lumped the comics together to sell in one lot.  Take a look at what was in this lot.   Among many others, 14 Hasbro Heir to the Empire #1s.

I would have been all over this had I seen it.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-HASBRO-LEGACY-DARK-HORSE-COMIC-EXCLUSIVES-/273777181091?hash=item3fbe6441a3%3Ag%3AKLQAAOSw-mda~HdQ&nma=true&si=JVc8k%2BirkX7zPn%2BZh%2Fat7UNY24c%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
11 11