• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

I have a Batman 635 that graded an 8.5. Its near perfect (no spine ticks, no color breaks), but grading notes say it has front cover "stain". I THINK I see what they are talking about when I hold up to light, there is one area that doesnt "shimmer" in the light. It looks more like a finger print to me if anything. VERY hard to see. Obviously Im not a professional grader, but Ive seen enough books to know that it looks under graded. Its never been pressed. Im wondering if a press/regrade would help. At this point, if it could get to a 9.4, the price difference to sell is really not worth it. But, if the book continues to go up, Ill think about it.

What was the period of time from first grade to re-submitting?

Just wondering if the encapsulation would have inadvertently 'pressed' the book over time especially if it's a tight slab.

Edited by Jitstark

I bought two Kanan Last Padawan #6 from same seller. Both are 9.8 candidates. $400 total. I didnt have this book. I like buying two of a lot of books. I bought two Thrawn #1 Mattina for $100 total when it came out, sent off to get signed by Mattina and Zahn, and both came back 9.8. I've bought two books multiple times in past so I can keep one/sell one. Might do the same here...

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.092a8561ce4b783c8b402057b6517f73.jpg 

34 minutes ago, NWOslave said:

yall can take DH: star wars 7 and 10 off your hot list. ive had both on ebay in 9.6 and not even a whiff. no one has even tried to low ball me. 

Things will probably heat back up starting on May 4th. Just a guess 

11 hours ago, Twisted_Road said:

Which was published first, the Empire Strikes Back Magazine or STAR WARS: The EMPIRE STRIKES BACK [5/1980] Marvel Illustrated Book? They both have a similar cover.  TIA? 

That is a question people have been trying to answer for quite a while now.  We know for certain the files to produce the illustrated book had to be submitted earlier, because it has the early version of Yoda.  But that could have just reflected a longer production time due to the different format, and which one actually hit the stands first is still a subject of debate.

At least, that's my current understanding.  If my info is out of date somebody will surely correct me.

Finally got Darth Vader 3 in a 9.2. Eh. It's alright, it's no 9.8 but I wanted to get one before it got any more expensive, and also not break the bank. I do feel it's a book that won't somehow take a huge hit like the Donny Cates Venom stuff inexplicably has, because let's face it Disney will probably use her for SOMETHING instead of make up a random character someday.

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:
On 4/22/2021 at 1:32 PM, Twisted_Road said:

Which was published first, the Empire Strikes Back Magazine or STAR WARS: The EMPIRE STRIKES BACK [5/1980] Marvel Illustrated Book? They both have a similar cover.  TIA? 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/431549-star-wars-movies-and-comic-sizes/

More recent answer...

The same Empire Strikes Back artwork by Artists: Al Williamson & Carlos Garzon, Writer: Archie Goodwin can be found in all of these:

1a) The Marvel Comics Illustrated Version of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (224 pages)    Marvel    May 1980    old purple Yoda design - small paperback size

1b) Star Wars Empire Strikes Back Annual (hardcover, 63 pages)    Marvel/Grandreams (printed in Holland, two versions, pounds sterling -or- $ price on first page)    May 1980    old Yoda purple design - magazine-sized hardcover

3a) Marvel Super Special #16 (96 pages)    Marvel    Spring 1980  corrected green Yoda - magazine-sized - CGC grades this one (1st in CGC grade-able size)

3b) Marvel Special Edition Featuring Star Wars:The Empire Strikes Back #2 (100 pages)    Marvel    Spring 1980    corrected green Yoda - Treasury-sized 10"x14"

5th) The Empire Strikes Back Weekly #118-#135   Marvel UK    smaller magazine-sized  - #129 (August 1980) has a Boba Fett cover - CGC grades this one (2nd in CGC grade-able size)

Notable: Star Wars #41 has the "Building an Empire" story of the old/new Yoda designs and mentions the paperback, the MSS #16, and the treasury as published first (months earlier than Star Wars #41)

Another notable: Star Wars #42 has a cover gallery for the Empire Strikes Back Weekly issues including all of them up to #132 as being published earlier than Star Wars #42.

6th) Star Wars #42    Marvel    December 1980    1980-09-23 - CGC grades this one (3rd in CGC grade-able size, first in standard comic size, fewer Boba story pages than the others above)