• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Boy pants discussion (post'em if you got'em)
1 1

95 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:
19 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess only time will tell, but it will be interesting to see if a true HG copy of this book ever makes its way into the marketplace.   Especially since the other contender for this early time period would have been the Larson, but that copy of MM7 would only be a Qualified as it is apparently listed with having the coupon clipped out of the back cover.  :taptaptap:  :(

How about the Allentown?  Does anyone know the condition of that copy?

FWIW, according to the Master Allentown List, the Mystery Men 7 was graded as being a Fine copy by Payette at the time.  :gossip:

Looks like all of the Allentown Mystery Men issues after MM 4 had some variation of the "VF" grade designation in there.  Of course, Payette was always known as a strict grader and I believe all of those books that have been graded to date have been into the 9's.  Perfect example being the Mystery Men 13 which was graded by Payette as being only a VF+ copy and yet slabbed as a 9.6 NM+ copy when graded by CGC when they first opened their doors way back in 2000.  hm

Based upon the grade date of July 13, 2000 my bet is that books at that early point in time were still being graded using the old school grading standards before they saw that pot of gold (i.e. maximization of potential) sitting at the end of their grading rainbow.  :devil:

So, not sure if the Allentown copy of Mystery Men 7 will be able to beat the CGC 8.0 graded Church copy or not, but I guess only time will tell.  (shrug)  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

32 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Most everything I really want anymore would be considered “big boy pants”. I’m back to “training pants”...

Awsome book! Another one I’ve never owned and probably won’t.

Have to be content with my reprint books on More Fun’s at this point. 

There are times when coming across “big boy” books that I wish it were only about “training pants”.  Alas, the older we get and the bigger the book the more it cries out for “Depends”.  :blush:

On 12/20/2020 at 3:48 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, here's a copy of a book (unfortunately not mine's) that would certainly qualify:  :luhv:  :takeit:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/562988

ace2.442a.jpg

From my point of view, still a highly under appreciated book as it features the first comic book appearance of the Phantom and came out a few months even before Action 1 hit the stands.  No doubt this book would be a lot more sought after by collectors if it had also featured a cover appearance of the Phantom, as opposed to this nondescript humor cover above.  :p

This copy here sold for $4,656 or over 8X condition guide way back in 2014 as being the highest graded copy.  Looks like it is still the highest graded copy after all these long years of certification which confirms the rarity of this book as there has only been 12 Universal copies slabbed to date so far.  Clearly the highlight book of the entire Ace run as the Phantom would continue on in this rather long running title until its final issue in Ace Comics 151.  (thumbsu  :cloud9:

I might agree but most people (even younger comic collectors) even know who the Phantom is. One of those sadly, forgotten characters. I wouldn’t bank much in this as being a good financial investment...

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I might agree but most people (even younger comic collectors) even know who the Phantom is. One of those sadly, forgotten characters. I wouldn’t bank much in this as being a good financial investment...

Yes, I agree that even the young people do indeed know who the Phantom is.  lol

Well, you never know as they might just do a half decent reboot of that old Phantom movie from back in 1996, but this time with a more breakout actor than Bily Zane.  :wishluck:

Actually, if we exclude the comic book fans, wasn't the Phantom a more well known character as compared to the Black Panther prior to his big movie debut?  hm  (shrug)

Early Fox books in grade definitely earn the Big Boy crews (Lou Fine covers especially).

As for a Phantom reboot that checks the Big Boy box this'd be my first choice to green-light for a movie...

c753b296-89f8-4c6b-b36f-e0b4292a4b94_zpsmemrukwc.jpg.b761cc361ca7ecaa381f9587f743cb0d.jpg

Definitely a tough series in grade due to Victor Fox's poor PQ in the late '40s.  

Matt Baker's art wears serious Big Boy pants.

:tink: 

This has been a very productive thread.  If anyone has overlooked books from less well known lines that fit the Big Boy pants category, please try them on for size here.

At this point I'm just going to sit back and toast all of the big league books which help fuel this hobby.  (thumbsu

:tink:

On 12/28/2020 at 1:24 AM, Ltpink2002 said:

Classic cover-check

Rarely seen for sale in grade-check

Unfortunately, no pants.

MarvelMystery09.001.jpg

Big Boys apparently don't need pants to get the job done!  (thumbsu

Just look at Lou Fine's cover of Samson on Fantastic Comics #3 or Hercules on Hit Comics #3...

89519974-88c5-4468-bb3a-563c1264d1eb_zpsw3jem8sj.jpg.38c08ff81082095a650a7bff23914a7e.jpg

Alex Schomburg and Lou Fine provide the art.  We have to provide the pants & the wallet!  :blush: