• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was your LAST GA purchase in this lousy year?
3 3

104 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, that must have been cool. Sounds like he was probably pretty old school. His would be a class I would never miss. Did he ever show any of his original art?

I took a class at Pasadena City College with Errol McCarthy. At the time he was an underground artist and later went on to do a lot of iconic art at Mattel. We got along great being both comic lovers. 

it should have been cooler than it was, sadly. he died a year or two later, and at a memorial for him, his son said something like this, which really summed him up. i am paraphrasing, but it was this:

"growing up, at our dinner table, you had to be prepared to speak. dad would ask each person questions about current events or politics, and you were expected to have a point of view and express it intelligently. sounds stimulating, i know. the problem was, usually, after you spoke, dad would say 'you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and you don't know what you're talking about.' "

hogarth was very abrasive and argumentative with us. i saw that he meant to engage us, but he was pretty out of touch with how to connect with 20 year old kids by 1988. it didnt really work. i said heavy metal was the best animated film just to get a reaction from him, not bc i thought so. it was almost fun to make him go ballistic in a weird way. for our final at least, he was pretty flexible. each of us was to do anything we wanted but in the style of some ancient period of art, such as egyptian art, greco-roman art, whatever. but you had to have a point of view and use symbolism to express it. as long as you did that, you got an A.

i think he expected we would all idoloze him, as was his due. but most of us didn't grow up with his work, so he was not regarded as jack kirby might have been. i don't recall him bringing in tarzan or other comic art. he did alot of drawing in class where he showed how to create and proportion the figure and the head, as in his books. this was good stuff. 

6 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

it should have been cooler than it was, sadly. he died a year or two later, and at a memorial for him, his son said something like this, which really summed him up. i am paraphrasing, but it was this:

"growing up, at our dinner table, you had to be prepared to speak. dad would ask each person questions about current events or politics, and you were expected to have a point of view and express it intelligently. sounds stimulating, i know. the problem was, usually, after you spoke, dad would say 'you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and you don't know what you're talking about.' "

hogarth was very abrasive and argumentative with us. i saw that he meant to engage us, but he was pretty out of touch with how to connect with 20 year old kids by 1988. it didnt really work. i said heavy metal was the best animated film just to get a reaction from him, not bc i thought so. it was almost fun to make him go ballistic in a weird way. for our final at least, he was pretty flexible. each of us was to do anything we wanted but in the style of some ancient period of art, such as egyptian art, greco-roman art, whatever. but you had to have a point of view and use symbolism to express it. as long as you did that, you got an A.

i think he expected we would all idoloze him, as was his due. but most of us didn't grow up with his work, so he was not regarded as jack kirby might have been. i don't recall him bringing in tarzan or other comic art. he did alot of drawing in class where he showed how to create and proportion the figure and the head, as in his books. this was good stuff. 

Sounds like a lettering teacher I had at LB State. A brilliant guy that taught me a lot about my love of type. I appreciate him now but at the time I was scared to death of him. 

We would come in and if you didn’t have your roughs done he would literally grab you by the belt and through you out the door. When we put up our finished pieces up on the wall for critique, if he didn’t like it he would either skip it or even worse, tear it down and throw it on the ground. 

I remember doing a rock poster with psydellic lettering and he went ballistic. He was VERY old school. 

My best friend and I were walking back after one of his classes and my friend said “You know when we die, George Turnbull will be waiting at the Pearly Gates for his asking us if we brought our roughs”. I told this story at his funeral a few years ago and it brought down the house. It was real to us. 

2 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Where's the price?

Top left corner Brian lol It's a 15¢er rather than 10¢.I bought it to read,three for a buck and noticed when I got home.Is there a DELL price thread?

38 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Is there a DELL price thread?

Every dell reg. size comic from Mar 1957 to Aug 1958 was published with both 10 cent and 15 cent cover prices...depending on the area the book was sold in it could have either price.  So, yes, it's a variant...

P.S. Google is your friend...:gossip:

12 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Every dell reg. size comic from Mar 1957 to Aug 1958 was published with both 10 cent and 15 cent cover prices...depending on the area the book was sold in it could have either price.  So, yes, it's a variant...

P.S. Google is your friend...:gossip:

I was wondering if there was a thread here to post it in Brian :makepoint: (and it was three for a buck,Canadian even,wotadeal)

Edited by porcupine48

24 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

20201214_151329.jpg

My uncle (Ghost Rider here r.i.p.) owned and raced horses and my family has been fans of harness racing as long as I can remember.I really need to hunt one of these down now!

Real sweet white on that!

2 hours ago, davidtere said:

This will probably be the last one...but you never know, there's still a couple of weeks left of the year to go. Kind of an unexpected purchase from a storage locker picker. It was there with a stack of drek. A beater but I hadn't ever seen a copy in person before (and it was fairly cheap...so yay!)

IMG_2494.jpg

This cover is kind of ironic. Didn't Wonder Woman's creator invent the lie detector?