• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was your LAST GA purchase in this lousy year?
3 3

104 posts in this topic

s-l1600.jpgHaven't received this one yet, should be here this week.  An upgrade for me.  I haven't been to a show in decades, and get virtually all my books from eBay sellers, some online dealers, & occasionally HA, so the virus situation hasn't really affected my collecting ability.

1 hour ago, fifties said:

s-l1600.jpgHaven't received this one yet, should be here this week.  An upgrade for me.  I haven't been to a show in decades, and get virtually all my books from eBay sellers, some online dealers, & occasionally HA, so the virus situation hasn't really affected my collecting ability.

Very cool book! One of my favorite crime ones. Got a real nice one from Rick’sneatstuff here on the boards about a year ago. 

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Very cool one! One I wish I had. PCH has always been my main love collecting wise. The grittier and gory the better. A few companies like ACG, Avon and St. John were pretty tame content wise so I passed them up in favor of the more "salacious" ones. I did buy the ones with the best covers luckily but am sorry now I didn't really go for all of them (especially Cole). I pick them up from time to time but at this point know my window of opportunity is closing pretty fast. I got my CSS #22 back in the early 1970's when it was priced no higher that any other issue of the title. Pays to be old I guess...

I did something similar when I was trying to complete my Marvel collection, I prioritized them over cheap Pre-code stuff much to my regret now, those price times will never come again :( 

11 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

I did something similar when I was trying to complete my Marvel collection, I prioritized them over cheap Pre-code stuff much to my regret now, those price times will never come again :( 

I realized at a young age that the SA stuff was always around when I was ready to buy them. But, I guess I progressed past the super hero stuff when I got my first EC. I also realized they were more of a challenge to find GA and PCH which as a collector was more rewarding. Guess my logic and taste paid off...

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I realized at a young age that the SA stuff was always around when I was ready to buy them. But, I guess I progressed past the super hero stuff when I got my first EC. I also realized they were more of a challenge to find GA and PCH which as a collector was more rewarding. Guess my logic and taste paid off...

Yeah I guess it comes down to what choices you make, if I had bought all the pre-code stuff back then, I wouldnt be able to afford the Marvel/DC stuff now, I am lucky to have the SA pretty much done and a lot of Pre-code stuff too but its a few books a year these days and we will always be greedy for the books we missed along the way, thats what keeps us driven I guess, its all good :foryou:

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

And then there was this one...

At one time, this book was up in price along with the big boys Like Action #1 and Detective #27. Rick Durell and a couple older guys in my area had copies and they were treated with great reverance. It blew my young teen age mind. One day at Ricks house, I was allowed to hold and look through it as well as Action #1, Detective #27 and many other big keys. Took my breath away.

What a cover! Classic pose and hero battling an adversary. Not a super hero mind you but the image and face to face determination is just classic GA. I love the jungle green colors. And Hogarth adventure art for 68 pages. A masterpiece of comic book history.

Never really sought one out. Never really recalled seeing many of them. I'm not really a Tarzan comic guy anyway. I may have 3 in my collection. But this one is special. I have often drooled at @MrBedrock's beautiful copy. Just staring at the image and the color. Never really thought I would get one. This one turned up with nice color in acceptable shape for a real decent price so I snagged it. It arrived last night safely in my mail box.

Added bonus is the inside back cover. The United Features premium ad. Super rare early comic book premiums. I have had the Junior Flying Legion badge for years. I knew what it was but never seen the ad for it. The Spinners are un-godly rare. I had the Bronco Bill one. A lucky ebay purchase a couple years back. Hakes has had the Tarzan one a couple times and never seen the Capt. and Kids one. And then there are the United Features bound volumes sold at the World's Fair. Never seen one of them either...

So, I figure, this is a good one to go out on...

comtarzansingleseries20a.jpg

comtarzansingleseries20b.jpg

burne hogarth was my teacher at art center in 1988. he was quite the character then. one day i came into class with an xmen comic or tpb and he saw it, and seeing that i was a fan of comics and possibly animation, asked me what i thought the best animated movie ever made was. i said 'easy, heavy metal.' he was flummoxed as he had no idea what that was. then he told me adamantly and loudly, as was his way, that it was fantasia of course. 

11 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

burne hogarth was my teacher at art center in 1988. he was quite the character then. one day i came into class with an xmen comic or tpb and he saw it, and seeing that i was a fan of comics and possibly animation, asked me what i thought the best animated movie ever made was. i said 'easy, heavy metal.' he was flummoxed as he had no idea what that was. then he told me adamantly and loudly, as was his way, that it was fantasia of course. 

Wow, that must have been cool. Sounds like he was probably pretty old school. His would be a class I would never miss. Did he ever show any of his original art?

I took a class at Pasadena City College with Errol McCarthy. At the time he was an underground artist and later went on to do a lot of iconic art at Mattel. We got along great being both comic lovers.