• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should you be storing right now?

38 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Solar said:

I think we all realize that. Most collectibles follow a similar lifecycle. OP is asking for the next thing to hoard to be ahead of the curve.

Early handheld electronic toys, like Tomigachi’s, or if you can find one, those robotic dogs by Sony, AIBO. 

Those are both great calls.  Totally forgot about that AIBO dog.

I have an 8 year old and wonder what his generation will collect later.  He's really into multiplayer online games like Fortnight and Minecraft and would rather have the virtual items in-game than any associated physical merchandise. I'm not sure what will remain when those games inevitably go offline.

2 hours ago, Solar said:

The great thing about Shep prints is that there's always a new one to buy next week if you miss out on one. The guy is a machine lol

The ones with the most upside are already over a grand IMO (early works, which are almost impossible to find in nice shape and key images from the later periods).

I cashed in all Obey prints about 10 years ago and used that money to fund a couple grade A originals.

Is the print market in general relatively healthy?  I had thought the print market had waned, but haven't followed it in recent years.

1 hour ago, pinupcartooncollector said:

Is the print market in general relatively healthy?  I had thought the print market had waned, but haven't followed it in recent years.

HA opened up to them and is starting to achieve nicer numbers than eBay.

young adults nowadays collect likes and followers.  i'd consider maybe old phones - particularly old versions of iphones?  or ipods?  but who knows given that alot of collecting is of the virtual nature vs tangible for today's youth. 

Not sure how an old iphone would be collectible.  Maybe old rotary/push button wired phones.  My flip phone (about 5 years old) is almost on the outs (e.g. no CDMA support).  Maybe playing games on phones as a novelty but no actual conversations.

However, I'd stock up on Windows 95 and 32bit PCs because I expect an "Order 66" in some effort of world domination.

Edited by Will_K

On 12/16/2020 at 11:04 AM, Solar said:

Yep, a large canvas from the Deitch show and a retired stencil collage (30x30" - stencil used to make a print included in The Doors vinyl box set):

ShepMorrison.PNG.dfc0304412fa61d8f5bb8fec50f53925.PNG

FINALLY the image is showing. Congratulations upgrading to something you really want, not just a big stack of print-of-the-week intern-make-work "stuff" lol

As I've mentioned elsewhere, trading cards are having a moment again in a big, big way.  And, it's not just Gen Xers and Boomers reliving their youth, as there are loads of Gen Z and Millennials who have jumped on board, including high-profile business people, celebs, social media influencers, etc. Basketball and Pokemon are the hottest sub-markets now (stupidly hot, I would say), but, my bet is that soccer has the greatest long-run potential - some of the prices on vintage material remind me of where comics and OA were 20 years ago. 

And, it turns out that I'm not the first OA collector to have made the switch into soccer cards - I recently found out that a former Boardie made the jump probably about a year before I did and has become a real BSD in that market, where I would estimate that the median collector age is only about the mid-20s or so, and where I believe the size of the collector base has, at a minimum, doubled in 2020, if not tripled or quadrupled (albeit off a low base).  Much better long-run demographics IMO than for comics or comic art, as well as vs. most other trading card verticals (e.g., baseball, hockey) too.

I've long believed that the younger generations are more about experiences, social media flexing/interactions, etc., both due to changing priorities and worse economic prospects (re: less disposable income, less space to store stuff, etc.) That said, the pandemic this year has quite obviously shifted - at least for a time - people's priorities to things over experiences, with the latter simply not possible this year due to restrictions and precautions.  And, the younger generations are finding things to buy in this environment, with things like trading cards and collectible sneakers going ballistic this year (both categories also have far lower buy-ins than, say, original art).  Stock X, which is an online sneaker exchange that has also gotten into sports cards over the past year or two, just got their latest round of funding this week at a reported $2.8 billion valuation.  So, this is a real phenomenon.

Also, the emergence of Rally Road and fractional share companies is lighting a fire under numerous collectibles categories. Might be wise to start trying to anticipate what they might try to buy next/in the future. 

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, trading cards are having a moment again in a big, big way.  And, it's not just Gen Xers and Boomers reliving their youth, as there are loads of Gen Z and Millennials who have jumped on board, including high-profile business people, celebs, social media influencers, etc. Basketball and Pokemon are the hottest sub-markets now (stupidly hot, I would say), but, my bet is that soccer has the greatest long-run potential - some of the prices on vintage material remind me of where comics and OA were 20 years ago. 

And, it turns out that I'm not the first OA collector to have made the switch into soccer cards - I recently found out that a former Boardie made the jump probably about a year before I did and has become a real BSD in that market, where I would estimate that the median collector age is only about the mid-20s or so, and where I believe the size of the collector base has, at a minimum, doubled in 2020, if not tripled or quadrupled (albeit off a low base).  Much better long-run demographics IMO than for comics or comic art, as well as vs. most other trading card verticals (e.g., baseball, hockey) too.

I've long believed that the younger generations are more about experiences, social media flexing/interactions, etc., both due to changing priorities and worse economic prospects (re: less disposable income, less space to store stuff, etc.) That said, the pandemic this year has quite obviously shifted - at least for a time - people's priorities to things over experiences, with the latter simply not possible this year due to restrictions and precautions.  And, the younger generations are finding things to buy in this environment, with things like trading cards and collectible sneakers going ballistic this year (both categories also have far lower buy-ins than, say, original art).  Stock X, which is an online sneaker exchange that has also gotten into sports cards over the past year or two, just got their latest round of funding this week at a reported $2.8 billion valuation.  So, this is a real phenomenon.

Also, the emergence of Rally Road and fractional share companies is lighting a fire under numerous collectibles categories. Might be wise to start trying to anticipate what they might try to buy next/in the future. 

I've never heard of Rally Road or anything like it until your post. Feels weird to invest in a collectible and not have physical ownership of it. I've known there were collectors who were into the hobby as much or more for investment potential as the love of the art, but this Rally Road concept feels really abstract for me, an old timer. Not the way or reason most of us got into this hobby in the first place, is it?

Is it your sense this accounts for some of the current price strength in the OA hobby--Institutional investing?

11 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Is it your sense this accounts for some of the current price strength in the OA hobby--Institutional investing?

I believe so, yes. I think it's pretty much established at this point that there is an investment cabal that has purchased numerous Frazetta paintings, for example. I wouldn't be surprised if investors and fractional ownership companies have been involved in comics and comic art as well.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I've already seen Rally Road or one of its competitors do a fractional comic book share offering.  They've also been active in cars, baseball cards and, very recently, in soccer cards as well, buying up some 6-figure Pele cards recently, including the $288K 1958 Alifabolaget Pele PSA 9 that was at Goldin Auctions a month or two ago - now they are offering fractional ownership in that card at a $315K valuation.  

Who knows, maybe we'll see one of these head-scratching 6-figure OA sales wind up as a fractional ownership offering in the near future... hm 

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

"trading cards are having a moment again in a big, big way...."

http://www.sportscardradio.com/gary-moser-pwcc-marketplace-card-trimming-shill-bidding-scam/

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/966830/the-shill-bidding-from-the-consignment-places-is-ridiculous

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Baseball-cards.pdf

https://www.justice.gov/archive/usao/iln/chicago/2012/pr0725_01a.pdf

https://www.sportscarmarket.com/columns/legal-files/letting-the-shill-win

It is all over the place. Worse than termites, and harder to get rid of.