• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What ever happened Joe Madureira?

61 posts in this topic

He's CEO of Airship Syndicate, which is working on the Ruined King game mentioned above

@Crops068 -- if you didn't download your copy, maybe worth emailing them. I backed the Kickstarter and got mine. I loved the game, but I love both jRPGs-style games, Joe's art AND Battle Chasers.

Mad also just posted a teaser for BC #10 on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CL7AS6GAcWD/?igshid=1m0jv7jjqur3v

8 minutes ago, mexicanuck said:

He's CEO of Airship Syndicate, which is working on the Ruined King game mentioned above

@Crops068 -- if you didn't download your copy, maybe worth emailing them. I backed the Kickstarter and got mine. I loved the game, but I love both jRPGs-style games, Joe's art AND Battle Chasers.

Mad also just posted a teaser for BC #10 on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CL7AS6GAcWD/?igshid=1m0jv7jjqur3v

May be an illustration

20 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

I wish he'd continue BC, but I have zero faith in him now.

Patrick

Yeah, I wish so too. He's my #1 top artist, and wish we could get more of his work on a regular basis. That said, it was clear even from interviews his X-Men days that video games were his true passion. Can't blame the guy for pursuing his passion.

re: BC -- there was an update from Joe on June 2019 for Kickstarter backers saying that, in order to speed up new issues, Joe would draw some pages, but they'd be getting other artists to to do most of it. They got some negative feedback about that (mostly "we're here for Joe's art, not anyone else's". No idea what they ended up doing for this issue, but I'm sure we'll hear soon

22 hours ago, mexicanuck said:

Yeah, I wish so too. He's my #1 top artist, and wish we could get more of his work on a regular basis. That said, it was clear even from interviews his X-Men days that video games were his true passion. Can't blame the guy for pursuing his passion.

re: BC -- there was an update from Joe on June 2019 for Kickstarter backers saying that, in order to speed up new issues, Joe would draw some pages, but they'd be getting other artists to to do most of it. They got some negative feedback about that (mostly "we're here for Joe's art, not anyone else's". No idea what they ended up doing for this issue, but I'm sure we'll hear soon

Here's my thing with Joe Mad, as much as it pains me to say it, because I was a huge BC fan, which was miles ahead of what his X-Men art (even though I liked that too), I just hold a bit of a grudge against him now.

He bailed on BC at issue 9, which sucked, to pursue other ventures... whatever... but then he comes back, to milk his fan base with a game, and to tease issue 10, 11, and 12 to complete the series, and bails on that too...

Have to dish out refunds to people who bought in for those issues and he couldn't deliver.

And now he is, yet again, going back to the same well... 

200.gif

Joe's a fantastic artist in terms of the quality of his finished work. Unfortunately, he seems utterly incapable of meeting a deadline, and no one ever seems to be in a position to hold him to one. As a result, he's pretty much made a career out of amazing work that is compromised by his apparently inability to finish what he

Well he has said he is not doing the interior art, he is passing it to someone else to do.  Not sure how that will go but maybe it will actually get it pushed to get completed.

I still don't have 7-9 because of the original hiatus so I completely get it.

If 10-12 releases I will at least buy them though.

1 hour ago, D2 said:

Here's my thing with Joe Mad, as much as it pains me to say it, because I was a huge BC fan, which was miles ahead of what his X-Men art (even though I liked that too), I just hold a bit of a grudge against him now.

He bailed on BC at issue 9, which sucked, to pursue other ventures... whatever... but then he comes back, to milk his fan base with a game, and to tease issue 10, 11, and 12 to complete the series, and bails on that too...

Have to dish out refunds to people who bought in for those issues and he couldn't deliver.

And now he is, yet again, going back to the same well... 

200.gif

Issue #10 is now coming out BUUUT not with Mad art, which kind of defeats the purpose (as everyone in the comments is making sure to let him know)

Posted earlier today to his IG:

“Here’s a peek at Battle Chasers #10 with art by @ludo_lullabi Every page is 🔥🔥🔥! This will be an oversized issue with 32 pages of action-packed story, no ads. BCNW backers will receive theirs, and it will be available in shops later this year. So yes, it’s happening! Thanks so much for the continued support over the years!”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL9kWxAg0x0/?igshid=jk22ycs68w1t

I don’t have a big issue with coming back with the game; I backed it, played it, and enjoyed it. I’m not happy about no Joe Mad in BC #10 tho... nobody bought it because of the mind-blowing storyline, it’s all love for Joe Mad art

46 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Kind of disappointing preview, but thanks for posting.

Patrick

It is at least progress, more than we have seen in the last 20 years for the comic.  That is all I want to see myself.

Now to go get 7-9, I have been slacking and not really worrying about them.

6 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

It is at least progress, more than we have seen in the last 20 years for the comic.  That is all I want to see myself.

Now to go get 7-9, I have been slacking and not really worrying about them.

They were selling for a bit more not too long ago. 

But I don't think they are too hard to find.   If I see them for cheap, I typically grab them.

Patrick

I absolutely loved his work on Ultimates 3.  He’s the reason I read that series.

I met Joe Mad in NYC... back in 2008...

Had a good conversation with him.  A real cool dude, man.  

Is there a reason why CGC does not recognize the first appearance of Gully in the prelude? I'm having a look at some online and none make mention of it. I have a CGC of #1 and it states there as the first apperance?

Is it one of those previews don't count till they count thing?

On 3/3/2021 at 6:18 PM, mexicanuck said:

Issue #10 is now coming out BUUUT not with Mad art, which kind of defeats the purpose (as everyone in the comments is making sure to let him know)

Posted earlier today to his IG:

“Here’s a peek at Battle Chasers #10 with art by @ludo_lullabi Every page is 🔥🔥🔥! This will be an oversized issue with 32 pages of action-packed story, no ads. BCNW backers will receive theirs, and it will be available in shops later this year. So yes, it’s happening! Thanks so much for the continued support over the years!”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL9kWxAg0x0/?igshid=jk22ycs68w1t

I don’t have a big issue with coming back with the game; I backed it, played it, and enjoyed it. I’m not happy about no Joe Mad in BC #10 tho... nobody bought it because of the mind-blowing storyline, it’s all love for Joe Mad art

LOL

absolutely hilarious. No one bought it for the mind-blowing storyline, is so true. His art is legendary. I loved his Savage Wolverine stint, looked amazing. Mediocre storyline, epic art.

The art people posted below highlights the problems too, even Joe Mad could have made those sequences better...

On 3/3/2021 at 7:45 PM, Bird said:

action packed!

They took away the laugh emoji!

This deserved the laugh emoji

4 hours ago, D2 said:

LOL

absolutely hilarious. No one bought it for the mind-blowing storyline, is so true. His art is legendary. I loved his Savage Wolverine stint, looked amazing. Mediocre storyline, epic art.

The art people posted below highlights the problems too, even Joe Mad could have made those sequences better...

They took away the laugh emoji!

This deserved the laugh emoji

re: Savage Wolverine -- this is also how I felt about Ultimates 3; I really don't enjoy Jeph Loeb's writing in general, but I have the B&W HC with Mad's pencil artwork, and it's gorgeous.