• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Be Crazy

29 posts in this topic

Might not be the right forum for this, but I just ran across an example of how you can get some really good deals as a buyer on eBay. Or sometimes the opposite as a seller. I guess that's why we play the game. The following books sold on the exact same day. One raw book graded at VF to NM-, which seemed about right to me. Sold for $22. The other a 9.6 slabbed book for $56. It still amazes me when I see this happening. 

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed the VF to NM- wasn't listed in the title. It was in the seller's description. "I consider it a VF to NM- ".

EBBC.GIF

Edited by WPPJames
Original photo disappeared

11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Buyers of raw are always hoping for 9.8s. 

CGC 9.6s are "guaranteed NOT 9.8" (that is, until it's cracked-pressed-regraded).

Raw books are very rarely 9.8, but the buyers are thinking...

Pin by Tanya Orung on Quotes | Dumb and dumber, Super funny, Memes

(...and the title of the movie is very applicable.) (thumbsu

There are plenty of 9.6s that ARE 9.8s.  CGC is not consistent with their grading and that is clear. Crack it open and try again. 

I know this is not a modern comic but this is NOT a 9.9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-100-CGC-9-9/143410518528?hash=item2163eeda00:g:qwcAAOSwU7lfpDY8

image.thumb.png.808c2fef5e17adfc626d0decc902d909.png

This 9.8 looks better

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-100-CGC-9-8-1968-Boston-Pedigree-D12-1-cm/351247613132?hash=item51c7fd3ccc:g:A7wAAOSwj0NUgz4y

I'm just saying the grading is not consistent at all

Edited by carter3175

1 hour ago, carter3175 said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

CGC 9.6s are "guaranteed NOT 9.8" (that is, until it's cracked-pressed-regraded).

Pin by Tanya Orung on Quotes | Dumb and dumber, Super funny, Memes

(...and the title of the movie is very applicable.) (thumbsu

Expand  

There are plenty of 9.6s that ARE 9.8s.  CGC is not consistent with their grading and that is clear. Crack it open and try again. 

I hope you're agreeing with me, because I clearly said that CGC 9.6s are "guaranteed NOT 9.8" (that is, until it's cracked-pressed-regraded).

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Yea, but my point on that particular example was the seller of the raw book himself graded it as VF/NM-. So his best estimate on it was a 9.2. Sellers aren't generally known for undegrading their own books -- especially on eBay. Any buyer thinking they might later score a CGC 9.8 out of book sold as an 8.5 to 9.2 must also expect to hit the lottery every time he puts his $1 down at the gas station. So a raw 9.2 (maybe less) for $22. Or a slabbed 9.6 for $56. Not difficult to see which buyer got the much better deal.

EDIT: Of course it's entirely possible both were purchased by the same buyer. As I said, they did both sell on the same day.

Edited by WPPJames

The raw book was a BIN while the CGC was an auction.  He would have probably gotten $65 - $70 as a BIN which would have been pretty good considering raw high grade copies go for $25 - $30.  Some people just have a cap on a book and don't mind paying $20 for a 9.0 even though it's not a great deal compared to a CGC 9.6.

3 hours ago, carter3175 said:

They look exactly the same to me plus we can’t see the back of the 9.8

3 hours ago, carter3175 said:

Yea definitely not a 9.9. As far as the 9.8 looking better, they don't show the back cover (really, you are trying to sell a book for $17.5k and you can't (won't!) do that). But also it has Off White to White pages. The 9.9 has White pages. Maybe that made a difference. If only subconsciously to the grader. It can make a big difference in the sales price for older, high $$$ books.

A couple of different possibilities on the X-Men #4...

- The buyer of the raw book may just have a "thing" against CGC, so they won't pay the "extra $30" for the slab even if it is definitely a better book inside.

- The buyer focused on the photos, rather that the seller's description because:

- They think they can resell it as a higher raw grade (with or without a press)

- They think it could be a CGC 9.8 for a big profit or a CGC 9.6 to "break even" after a press

Edited by valiantman

On 12/16/2020 at 9:37 AM, valiantman said:

I hope you're agreeing with me, because I clearly said that CGC 9.6s are "guaranteed NOT 9.8" (that is, until it's cracked-pressed-regraded).

Is there a lot of success cracking, then resubmitting 9.6's after a press and getting a grade bump?  I understand that grading is subjective, and I guess it would depend on what issues the book has (color breaks etc).  What about sending a cracked book back to CGC for CCS to press and then grade?

Man, the more I type the more it sounds like gambling.  

3 minutes ago, EmoJackson said:

Is there a lot of success cracking, then resubmitting 9.6's after a press and getting a grade bump?  I understand that grading is subjective, and I guess it would depend on what issues the book has (color breaks etc).  What about sending a cracked book back to CGC for CCS to press and then grade?

Man, the more I type the more it sounds like gambling.  

In my experience, the only books that come back a 9.8 from a 9.6 clean and press, are books that were 9.8s to begin with before cracking. 

A book that was originally graded a 9.6 usually stays a 9.6. 

So imho, no, I personally don’t believe there to be a lot of success in cracking 9.6s to get 9.8s. 

I’ve also had luck in raws coming back 9.8s. 
That is a separate point. 

14 minutes ago, D2 said:

In my experience, the only books that come back a 9.8 from a 9.6 clean and press, are books that were 9.8s to begin with before cracking. 

A book that was originally graded a 9.6 usually stays a 9.6. 

So imho, no, I personally don’t believe there to be a lot of success in cracking 9.6s to get 9.8s. 

I’ve also had luck in raws coming back 9.8s. 
That is a separate point. 

Sounds like a educated gamble.  I hope to be able to tell the difference with time.  

17 minutes ago, EmoJackson said:

Sounds like a educated gamble.  I hope to be able to tell the difference with time.  

Yep, that’s exactly what it is. Educated by experience, and a gamble because I still can get it wrong 

On 12/16/2020 at 12:43 PM, WPPJames said:

Yea definitely not a 9.9. As far as the 9.8 looking better, they don't show the back cover (really, you are trying to sell a book for $17.5k and you can't (won't!) do that). But also it has Off White to White pages. The 9.9 has White pages. Maybe that made a difference. If only subconsciously to the grader. It can make a big difference in the sales price for older, high $$$ books.

To get a 9.9 or 10.0 I believe it has to be perfect white pages. But if you’re wondering if the 9.8 pedigree didn’t get a 9.9 because it doesn’t have perfect white pages, than no that had nothing to do with it.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 12/16/2020 at 9:25 AM, carter3175 said:

I don’t think the 9.8 looks better, but it’s certainly an exceptional 9.8. Also I disagree that CGC is not consistent. I think from a macro POV and taking into account the thousands and thousands of books they grade weekly, they’re pretty consistent. I’m not saying they’re perfect, but I’ve gotten thousands of comics graded over the last 8 years I’ve been collecting and I can’t think of many times that stand out where I was disappointed. To me, that’s the pure definition of consistency. I mean are there times I got a 9.4 on something and wished it was a 9.6, sure lol. But overall, I find they catch defects that most people don’t take the time to look for.

Edited by LDarkseid1

3 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

To get a 9.9 or 10.0 I believe it has to be perfect white pages. But if you’re wondering if the 9.8 pedigree didn’t get a 9.9 because it doesn’t have perfect white pages, than no that had nothing to do with it.

Help me understand. If it requires perfect white pages to get a 9.9 or 10.0 then the color of the pages obviously matter. If it was otherwise a 9.9 but didn't have perfect white pages then it couldn't be higher than a 9.8? So it seems "But if you’re wondering if the 9.8 pedigree didn’t get a 9.9 because it doesn’t have perfect white pages, than no that had nothing to do with it" seems contradictory.

Not trying to argue with, but I'm obviously missing something here.