• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dear Steve Ditko....

20 posts in this topic

I've heard Ditko had an office or something around the Times Square area.  For years, that area was full of people in costumes trying to get $$$ for paid photo-ops.  You'd pick one Spidey to pose with.  And then a bunch of other costumed people would photobomb.  And all of them would want to get paid.  Imagine Ditko having to pass by Spider-man on the street.  It would be eerie if there was actually a picture of Ditko posing with a bunch of people in Spidey costumes in Times Square.

Edited by Will_K

I barely survived the melee that ensued outside Grauman’s Chinese Theatre when my 12 year old daughter took a “free” picture with “Captain Jack Sparrow.”

Apparently you take a picture you really don’t want and then the hand goes out for a twenty spot minimum. It was a huge surprise for my kid who I had shielded from the hard streets I grew up in.

So the thought of Times Square Marvel Heroes surrounding me or my loved ones seems petrifying. And if Ditko were in the mix....absurd and cool but still frightening. 

Edited by grapeape

17 hours ago, grapeape said:

This is inscribed on a CGC copy of AF 15 coming up for sale on HA.

For future reference:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-signed-by-steve-ditko-and-stan-lee-marvel-1962-cgc-fn-55-cream-to-off-white-pages/p/7239-83001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

CGC notes, "'Hi Charlie, glad you enjoy, Steve Ditko' & 'Sincerely - Stan Lee' written on page 1 in pen & marker".

Not a Signature Series slab.  That's why it says the comic has been written on... not "signed".  Which, if you want something "signed by Jack Kirby" you can find links in the Can you guess why you probably shouldn't buy this "Jack Kirby" piece? topic.

2 hours ago, grapeape said:

Well I got a request to see the envelope via PM. Of course I saved it. I’ll show you what I can.

imagine my thrill seeing this on my desk after work. Edited out my address😂 Hey happy new year my friends. All the best for you in 2021.

8465FCBF-37CA-4C95-B852-D4FFBB011261.thumb.jpeg.8e7ec12a6b9200ca64aa01f2cbf25e10.jpeg

Mine are all hand-written returns, so that means bonus $$$$ right? :)

On 12/16/2020 at 3:25 PM, alxjhnsn said:

FWIW, there is a Facebook group called Steve Ditko Letters.

Lots of folks don't like Facebook and I get that, but you can sign-up and view a lot of stuff without sharing anything and without "friending" anyone.

Thanks Alex I didn’t even think of Facebook (I’ve never had a Facebook page) but checked it out after you suggested it. There was a short video of Steve and some family members around Christmas time. Had zero insight to comics but oddly I found it edifying. 
Cool letters on that page. Still if any of you care to share one here that would be cool.

11 hours ago, grapeape said:

I knew you would treasure them!!

That would be the only point in corresponding with Steve to begin with. Unless...

https://gcs.thesouthafrican.com/2014/12/Scrooge-McDuck.jpeg

But then...I don't live in Ohio.

Happy New Year to everyone except for those that knowingly export bio-weapons, brutalize the weak as slave labor, and 'disappear' whistleblowers, anyway theirs isn't for another six weeks ;)