• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mega keys have a lot of room for growth
2 2

172 posts in this topic

I think there's a world of difference between the T206 Wagner and any comic, including Action 1 or Detective 27--if nothing else, there's significantly more "rarity mystique" surrounding the T206; and I also think that there are more copies of both of those books available. Maybe the GA Keys do have room to grow, but comparing them to pre-Ruth baseball cards is not the right comparison to me.

3 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

I think there's a world of difference between the T206 Wagner and any comic, including Action 1 or Detective 27--if nothing else, there's significantly more "rarity mystique" surrounding the T206; and I also think that there are more copies of both of those books available. Maybe the GA Keys do have room to grow, but comparing them to pre-Ruth baseball cards is not the right comparison to me.

You think the T206 is rare, try finding that scarce T1000. That thing will cost you your life :grin:

maxresdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, circumstances said:

I dunno.

Old funny books are far cooler than any kind of sports card!

As someone who collects both, I won't 100% sign onto this. If you give me the option of Action 1 or the T206, I'm choosing the T206. If you give me the T206 or AF15, it's the former. Some sports cards are so rare, and so universally known, that they overcome even the best comic books.

26 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

As someone who collects both, I won't 100% sign onto this. If you give me the option of Action 1 or the T206, I'm choosing the T206. If you give me the T206 or AF15, it's the former. Some sports cards are so rare, and so universally known, that they overcome even the best comic books.

Im sure everyone doesnt Know Superman or Batman.

Everyone knows Wagner... 

Hes also dead. Rip.

Wagner had a big head start value wise. 

Supes and Bats live forever 

Also its a comic book forum so gotta go with its holy grail. 

I don't think the gulf is that wide between a $3.8m T206 and what the best copies of Action #1 sell for, which is what, like $3.2m? After the T206, there's the relatively common '52 mantle at 2.8M, then a steep drop off into the hundreds of thousands. 

Seems to me baseball card values are on par with comic values. 

Edited by SuperBird

5 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

What's the deal with Mr. Honus anyway. Was he even that good :nyah:

Heck yeah he was. I think he didn't want his card to be used to sell cigarettes and he told them not to make it, but the sneaky sob's made some anyway. Supposedly no more than 200 of them. I just read there are about 57 known to exist, thats way more than I thought.

15 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

Heck yeah he was. I think he didn't want his card to be used to sell cigarettes and he told them not to make it, but the sneaky sob's made some anyway. Supposedly no more than 200 of them. I just read there are about 57 known to exist, thats way more than I thought.

Yes indeed, as that's a rather surprisingly high retention rate at 28.5% for a card that's well over a full century old.  :whatthe:

Looks like there must have been far fewer collectors of comic books then since the retention rate for the GA keys are a tiny tiny fraction of the books printed back then.  hm

6 hours ago, SuperBird said:

I don't think the gulf is that wide between a $3.8m T206 and what the best copies of Action #1 sell for, which is what, like $3.2m? After the T206, there's the relatively common '52 mantle at 2.8M, then a steep drop off into the hundreds of thousands. 

Seems to me baseball card values are on par with comic values. 

Sad but true. 

Screenshot_20201217-183921~2.png

Edited by Northwest

1 hour ago, Northwest said:

Sad but true. 

Screenshot_20201217-183921~2.png

I read somewhere that Trout rookie cards were commanding big $$, which surprised me since he's still playing. I didn't think we were talking close to $4M.  

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but that price point seems about 80 years premature

Edited by KCOComics

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, as that's a rather surprisingly high retention rate at 28.5% for a card that's well over a full century old.  :whatthe:

Looks like there must have been far fewer collectors of comic books then since the retention rate for the GA keys are a tiny tiny fraction of the books printed back then.  hm

Sure is high. And yes I'm sure more people saved cards back then because they were made to be collected into sets, whereas comics were I suppose read and use as kindling to get the fireplace going. People just didn't save them as much. Also I believe its the physical size that might be a factor. It was more likely to find an old tobacco card in the back of great aunt Gertrudes junk draw after she passed than a comic book. 

Regarding the Trout card I just don't get it. A company decides to make only 1 of a particular card and that makes it worth millions? Maybe I'm missing something. 

3 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

A company decides to make only 1 of a particular card and that makes it worth millions?

Thinking back to the sports card and comic book crashes from back in the 90's, this is what I would clearly call a manufactured collectible that if history is correct, will tend to fall rather dramtically in value over an extended period of time.  

Any bets that the Honus Wager card will be worth a whole ton more than this Mike Trout card before too long.  hm

Heritages sports card auction this week had some eye popping sales.  Gretzky hockey card 1.5M  !  and a bunch of others.  But, the huge numbers were cards graded as 10.0s , so that probably had a lot to do with it. Unlike in comics, cards seems to have a supply of quite a few big key cards in 10.0 grade.  Imagine SA or GA keys in 10.0!  With all the pressing etc, this is just not happening, or doable.  yet?

10 hours ago, zen514 said:

Im sure everyone doesnt Know Superman or Batman.

Everyone knows Wagner... 

Hes also dead. Rip.

Wagner had a big head start value wise. 

Supes and Bats live forever 

Also its a comic book forum so gotta go with its holy grail. 

I'd bet cash money that at least half, if not more, of anyone under the age of 25 has never heard of wagner.