• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mega keys have a lot of room for growth
2 2

172 posts in this topic

I would like to see what the top Action 1 or Tec 27 would do in an auction vs the top T206 (the old PSA 8 that Gretzky and McNall owned at one point). I would think that the Church Action 1 would top the T206 if it is completely unrestored/altered, but maybe not Tec 27.

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, SuperBird said:

I'm barely aware of who Mike Trout is. Who watches baseball anymore? zzzzzz

Especially Mike Trout, who has won nothing in his career.  Only one play-off appearance I believe, even in this day of inflated play-off spots.

7 hours ago, kimik said:

I would like to see what the top Action 1 or Tec 27 would do in an auction vs the top T206 (the old PSA 8 that Gretzky and McNall owned at one point). I would think that the Church Action 1 would top the T206 if it is completely unrestored/altered, but maybe not Tec 27.

The top T206 sold for $3.1m in 2016.  The Church Action 1 and Allentown Detective 27 would definitely have sold for more than $3.1m in 2016.

The big thing that baseball cards have going for them is that the best known copies of the marquee cards (T206, Mantle rookie card) change hands publicly relatively often, so a public market is established and headlines in mainstream media are are made regularly.

In contrast, the biggest comics in our hobby (Church Action 1, AT Tec 27, Church Batman 1, Superman 1 (which is not a pedigree as far as I know), Church Marvel Comics 1, AT Captain America 1) are all tucked away, unlikely to ever emerge in my lifetime. 

11 hours ago, Northwest said:

The seller actually agrees with you. He reportedly paid 400k and believes the market is a bubble. A lot of sports memorabilia has intrinsic value but modern cards only have artificially designed scarcity. I think we all saw what happened in the 1990s. 

“Intrinsic value”?  Well maybe $100 for a used bat or glove. 

1 hour ago, SuperBird said:

I'm barely aware of who Mike Trout is. Who watches baseball anymore? zzzzzz

Far far far more people than read comics.

Here is the difference between baseball cards and comics:  All baseball cards were manufactured collectibles from day one.  They were produced to be collected and they were. Which means baseball cards have a much longer period of a robust collecting community than comics.  Baseball card collectors are a small subset of baseball fans, but there are a lot of them.  

Until the 80s, all comics were produced to be read, not collected.  Comics were not created to be a collectible. For me, that makes comics more desirable.

But, the markets are different.  Comparing the two markets is a bad idea.  They are two entirely different things.  You cannot compare a comic to fine art, etc. because the markets all have their own attributes.

13 minutes ago, tth2 said:

In contrast, the biggest comics in our hobby (Church Action 1, AT Tec 27, Church Batman 1, Superman 1 (which is not a pedigree as far as I know), Church Marvel Comics 1, AT Captain America 1) are all tucked away, unlikely to ever emerge in my lifetime. 

You left off the Church MC 1.  But do we really know that about the Church Mc 1 and AT CA 1?

9 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

I'd bet cash money that at least half, if not more, of anyone under the age of 25 has never heard of wagner.

Maybe not by his reputation as a player, but as the figure behind the T206 I disagree. That card is universally famous.

15 hours ago, tth2 said:

The top T206 sold for $3.1m in 2016.  The Church Action 1 and Allentown Detective 27 would definitely have sold for more than $3.1m in 2016.

The big thing that baseball cards have going for them is that the best known copies of the marquee cards (T206, Mantle rookie card) change hands publicly relatively often, so a public market is established and headlines in mainstream media are are made regularly.

Maybe I am mistaken, but I think the only GA mega keys that will top T206 are Action 1 and Tec 27. The Timely keys are important books, but are far less significant from a new character perspective which hurts their value. That applies to Batman 1 and Superman 1 as well.

I am curious to over time see if another sport's top rookie card can surpass T206 as far as value goes since the popularity of baseball is in a decline. From a global popularity perspective, I think it could be a soccer or basketball card that eventually tops it.

Edited by kimik

36 minutes ago, kimik said:

I am curious to over time see if another sport's top rookie card can surpass T206 as far as value goes since the popularity of baseball is in a decline. From a global popularity perspective, I think it could be a soccer or basketball card that eventually tops it.

I mean, you can look at the value of the 1986-1987 Fleer MJ Rookie Card, which should be the gold standard of basketball cards, or the 1948 Mikan rookie card (if you want to talk age/scarcity)--neither of them is anywhere close to T206 or the 1952 Topps Mantle. Maybe they'll get there eventually, but the cultural cache isn't there for most basketball players. It seems like basketball cards are much more subject to quick flipping at a lower price point.

9 hours ago, kimik said:

I think that T206 was found to be trimmed at the end of the day .... so not sure that one would be in the running