• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mega keys have a lot of room for growth
2 2

172 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2020 at 10:05 AM, Northwest said:

The fine art comparison would require a different reference. Frazetta OA auctions have indeed opened people's eyes to potential values for comic art. In both cases original art is unique, one of a kind. It is true that prices in the art market have their own dynamics independent of broader cultural awareness. 

Definitely the case since even Frazetta's most expensive painting sold for only a fraction of what Roy Lichtenstein's Masterpiece managed to sell for at a whopping $165M:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

http://lichtensteinpaintings.com/Masterpiece Roy Lichtenstein.jpg

Masteripiece.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely the case since even Frazetta's most expensive painting sold for only a fraction of what Roy Lichtenstein's Masterpiece managed to sell for at a whopping $165M:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

http://lichtensteinpaintings.com/Masterpiece Roy Lichtenstein.jpg

Masteripiece.jpg

Luckily, F/VF copies of the original comic book source material for this one can occasionally be found for about one ten millionth the cost of the painting..

Masterpiece.jpg

As we are discussing Wagner vs. Superman/Batman, I think the Pokemon train has left us all behind.

Was reading the HA description on their PSA 10 Charizard card and it notes that "only" 120 of these been graded 10.0 and that one sold last month for $350,000 (presumably USD).

At least with the sportcards it seems the numbers were much more limited. Is there any other hobby where there are 120 of the highest graded examples of something and they bring $350K each? (forget that the item itself is barely 20 years old).

3 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

As we are discussing Wagner vs. Superman/Batman, I think the Pokemon train has left us all behind.

Was reading the HA description on their PSA 10 Charizard card and it notes that "only" 120 of these been graded 10.0 and that one sold last month for $350,000 (presumably USD).

At least with the sportcards it seems the numbers were much more limited. Is there any other hobby where there are 120 of the highest graded examples of something and they bring $350K each? (forget that the item itself is barely 20 years old).

The Pokemon prices are insane. I had most of the first run of cards in the early 2000s, and of course gave them away. They weren't in top condition so they wouldn't fetch top prices, but it kills me now b/c I kind of want to purchase my favorite cards again. At least it seems like mid-grade copies of all the cards can be had for reasonable prices.

13 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Every new generation needs to lose its shirt at least once.

14 hours ago, tth2 said:

Every new generation needs to lose its shirt at least once.

For an entire generation to have just one shirt is exceedingly meager.  How do they even decide who gets to wear it on which day?  And then to lose that one shirt would be downright cruel.  Unless of course the climate is very hot all year round.

On 1/1/2021 at 3:24 AM, MusterMark said:

For an entire generation to have just one shirt is exceedingly meager.  How do they even decide who gets to wear it on which day?  And then to lose that one shirt from futuristic mens clothing would be downright cruel. Unless of course the climate is very hot all year round.

i totally agree with you, at that time you need to have light weight shirts

Edited by emmasophie927

2 hours ago, ChillMan said:

Items produced for the sole purpose of collecting and preserving....to me it's not interesting or a good investment.  The younger generation doesn't see it my way....yet.  They think a 10.0 Charlizard is worth a fortune, even if thousands of them exist.  They think if a company makes 1 baseball card of a player like Trout, it's worth millions.  To me, these are fake collectibles.

The 1/1 Trout (and all chase cards) were produced to fuel pack/case gambling. It's an aritificially rare manufactured collectible and the price seems completely ludicrous to me. 

The Charizard, on the other hand, was produced as part of a game meant for kids to actually use. Pokemon has spanned generations at this point, and the first group of kids to play with these are hitting their earning potential. The first set's value, while super high, has been fueled much more organically than the "black atomizer inverse refractor 1 of 1 bazooka gem mint polarizer card of Joey the Tubba professional bowling card" as my card-collecting dad put it. 

17 hours ago, october said:

The 1/1 Trout (and all chase cards) were produced to fuel pack/case gambling. It's an aritificially rare manufactured collectible and the price seems completely ludicrous to me. 

The Charizard, on the other hand, was produced as part of a game meant for kids to actually use. Pokemon has spanned generations at this point, and the first group of kids to play with these are hitting their earning potential. The first set's value, while super high, has been fueled much more organically than the "black atomizer inverse refractor 1 of 1 bazooka gem mint polarizer card of Joey the Tubba professional bowling card" as my card-collecting dad put it. 

I agree with this.  Pokémon is more legit/organic than those triple-reflector-gold-cards-with-a-jersey-piece-stuck--in.  I know nothing about Pokémon.  But I suspect kids knew to save and preserve them....so the price for 10.0 Charlizards seems way too high.

Cards have more room for growth, but also much greater potential for fraud, from my perspective.

No reservations about cards as high value collectibles, just making the observation that counterfeiting, including holders and labels, would appear to be a lot easier in this hobby than it would be for larger, more easily examined paper collectibles.  The greater the value the greater the incentive for abuse.

OTOH, comics also have potential for growth and given the detail scrutiny of high grade books it’s a disincentive to attempts at counterfeiting.

Also, I’m not convinced that the crossover audience is sufficient to warrant shared auction space. I can see cards and games being featured together, and I can see GA pulps and comics of all eras being featured in the same auction, but the co-mingling of comics, games and cards just doesn’t seem to mesh well. 

My 2 cents, ...the caffeine is provided at no extra charge!  :insane:

As someone who used to be an avid card collector I can tell you that PSA, and their set registries have a lot to do with what card collectors will pay. If one millionaire has a GPA of 9.2 in the registry, then the next millionaire will spend big bucks to move ahead of him with a GPA of 9.4.  While I still have some cards, I moved on, and just started collecting things that interest me.  I have a great ticket collection, and I am currently trying to build a nice comic collection. If CGC ever started a registry similar to PSA's (I assume they haven't yet), then you could expect to see comic prices increase even further.

2 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

If CGC ever started a registry similar to PSA's (I assume they haven't yet), then you could expect to see comic prices increase even further.

:gossip:  https://www.cgccomics.com/registry/

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

I bet it crushes that estimate

2 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

:gossip:  https://www.cgccomics.com/registry/

I bet it crushes that estimate

Goldin Has been a major player lately. Maybe they have been for a long time and I just haven’t noticedHas been a major player lately. Maybe they have been for a long time and I just haven’t noticed

On 1/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Cards have more room for growth, but also much greater potential for fraud, from my perspective.

No reservations about cards as high value collectibles, just making the observation that counterfeiting, including holders and labels, would appear to be a lot easier in this hobby than it would be for larger, more easily examined paper collectibles.  The greater the value the greater the incentive for abuse.

OTOH, comics also have potential for growth and given the detail scrutiny of high grade books it’s a disincentive to attempts at counterfeiting.

Also, I’m not convinced that the crossover audience is sufficient to warrant shared auction space. I can see cards and games being featured together, and I can see GA pulps and comics of all eras being featured in the same auction, but the co-mingling of comics, games and cards just doesn’t seem to mesh well. 

My 2 cents, ...the caffeine is provided at no extra charge!  :insane:

This is sort of the "golden age" for all collectables time....But we must remember that unlike most collectables, GA/SA comic book collecting has been steady upwards on price since the 1097's. If you were to ask me why? I would say one name...Bob Overstreet...even today in the jet age on information, there still is a mention or look at what the "Guide" says...and it was not to many years later that they realized that Bob was keeping price tame, or conservative in terms of growth, it was the auctions I believe which blew away Overstreet when its influence diminished .

I would be very wary of making any kind of investment in these new card collectables, knowing that Baseball cards took big dip at one time just stamps etc. GA/SA Comic book collecting is a true rarity in the collecting field given it stable price history. What if these new collectors discover comic books......