• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mega keys have a lot of room for growth
2 2

172 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, looks like at least one of the hedge funds decided to call it a day and have now closed out their position on Game Stop with the stock hitting almost a high of $380 after closing yesterday at under $150.  I guess that's the dangers of shorting when you've got a mob of small retail investors sitting at home with nothing else to spend their stimulus money on except for comic book and stocks (or even cheaper killer call options) when it was selling for under $20 about 2 weeks ago.  :whatthe:  :whatthe: :flipbait:

Needless to say, my better half is totally p*iss off at me since she told me last night we should buy into AMC which closed at under $5 yesterday and ended up opening up the trading day at $20.  :slapfight:  :censored:   I told her she really can't complain that much since she still has her almost worthless shares of Blackberry (while I sold off my portion for at a loss well over a decade ago  doh! :censored: ) from way back in the day and these screwballs have now driven that one up to almost $30 from the $6 price point it was at earlier this month.  Finally, after all these long years.  :whee::banana:  

Any chance we can get some of these nut cases from the Reddit WallStreetBets to join us here so that they can drive the price of our worthless 1980's B&W's and Valiant books to go up past the price of Action 1 and 'Tec 27.  lol  :screwy:

I was so close to buying AMC stock. Kicking myself 

3 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Well, instead of kicking yourself, you just might be patting yourself on the back for not letting the crazed FOMO win out over your saner thoughts as this game might just be coming to a bad ending for the late comers.  hm  (shrug)

Unlike yesterday where stocks like Gamestop closed up about 90% for the day and then almost immediately went up a further 100%+ in the after hours session before finishing up some 200% at the close today, all of them seem to take an immediate dip of some 30% to 40% in tonight's after hours session.  Although they've pared these drops in the interim, it definitely does not bode well for what's most probably going to take place tomorrow.  :tonofbricks:

Looks like Chewy founder, Ryan Cohen, made a big bet on GME when it was still below $10 and have made a paper profit of well over a billion dollars in his equity position, but said that he's in it for the long term.  Sounds like another billionaire investor, Chamath Palihapitya, went in on it by buying call options yesterday and had already closed out his position early this morning.  Sounds as though this was just a learning experience for him and he said that he will be donating all of his profits plus his $125K original starting position to some kind of charity fund.  (thumbsu

If anything, you probably should have gone into Koss which was under $5 at the start of this week, closed at something like $10 yesterday, had a high of roughly $70 today before hitting $90 in the early part of the after hours session.  And we thought that ASM 300 and TMNT 1 prices were crazy with all of these nutsos sitting at home on their laptops with nowhere else to spend their stimulus money!!!  :flipbait:   :screwy:  :screwy:

Definitely don't see this dangerous game going much longer as some of these high risk hedge funds have apparently chosen to close out their short positions with having to absorb billions and billions of dollars in losses.  Looks like this could have a big negative impact on the equity markets as they are now being forced to sell some of their big winners like some of the big tech winners which most of us probably have in one form or another, in order for them to to cover their huge short losses.  :( :censored:  

These Reddit WallStreetBets online guys really needs to come over here in order to pump some life and supercharge the dead part of our comic book market so that we can finally unload a lot of this worthless turd that we have sitting in our collections.  :wishluck:   :whee:  :banana:

Edited by lou_fine

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

These Reddit WallStreetBeats online guys really needs to come over here in order to pump some life and supercharge the dead part of our comic book market so that we can finally unload a lot of this worthless turd that we have sitting in our collections.  :wishluck:   :whee:  :banana:

Divide and conquer: I'll pump the 90s worthless , you pump the 80s worthless . We can do this, remember the buzzwords.

4 hours ago, bpc3qh said:
4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

These Reddit WallStreetBets online guys really needs to come over here in order to pump some life and supercharge the dead part of our comic book market so that we can finally unload a lot of this worthless turd that we have sitting in our collections.  :wishluck:   :whee:  :banana:

Divide and conquer: I'll pump the 90s worthless , you pump the 80s worthless . We can do this, remember the buzzwords.

Sure, why not give it the old college try at least.  (thumbsu

How about if we start with this little former worthless piece of drek, but in today's social media pandemic driven environmment, has all of a sudden become a super hot gem of a beauty where the sky is the limit for this book now:   :fear:   :sick:

Geriatric Gangrene Jujitsu Gerbils #1

Just imagine, the lucky buyer can have this green beauty of a book for only $1,000 tonight before the auction houses like HA, CC, and CL opens up in the morning and they just might have to pay $10K to acquire it.   :luhv:

I'll take it  :takeit:......................the money, that is!!!  :whee:  :banana:

Okay, since I don't actually think I have that book or the equally in demand Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters book, how about this turd here which I do have for the piddly sum of only $2,000 before they go ballistics tomorrow:   O.o  lol

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/26/2021 at 1:40 PM, Bronty said:

Seems crazy considering games broke 100k not long ago, and comics 1m not long ago, but what's the MH action 1 now - 5, 10, 15?  

Funny you mention this as going through some of my old paperwork the other day I came across an old letter I got from Comic Connect about the very subject. 20210115_234508.thumb.jpg.97d05e3e57d4f407e6696ab51806f8d3.jpg20210115_232538.thumb.jpg.67650223bbb93e824155206ada19e1e6.jpg20210115_232555.thumb.jpg.1b492ec5c270c52bbe5d314afbdb77ac.jpg

Still as far as collectibles. I still stick with the age ol'  collect what you love. Which like anything can change over time. New intrest develop. The trick is not to just dump everything else.  Although looking back I sure wish I had more of my old cards that went into my bike spokes.:facepalm:  

I was, however,  talking with one of my local collector friends who has been getting into the Pokemon and I did miss the train on that one, but I did follow and play Magic The Gathering when it first came out, as at that time my local Baseball Card Shop started getting them. Anyway we were discussing him making some HUGE sales and he kept asking what he should reinvest some of that on. I reiterated, " collect what you love" and shared some pictures of some of the complete randomness of my collection of collections.  Everything from Comics, Books, Money( Paper and Coins) , VHS, Disney, Art, Cels,Toys,Guns, Games, Records, Cards( Sports/ Non-Sports/Games) I will not completely blow this up with a TON of pictures, but here is one of the Card pictures I shared with him.

20210128_012814.thumb.jpg.957ced9988e2518b0036fa60e6720cc5.jpg

Now if only the Non Sports would get the same love as game card from CGC then they definitely would be getting a LOT more of my money.  Still fighting myself over where to send a lot of my sports card collection to have it graded. I know NON of my sports will get Top grades, but at the same time I am not looking to let them go. It would just be easier for insurance purposes and preserving. Sad part is most of them I do not look at anymore as with the way these prices have gone they went to the bank. The rest well, that's part of the reason for the gun collection. So back to our talk. He ended up buying a lot of Hot Toys, some guns, and key comics. Although even he mentioned that a lot of the "Key" books have been on a steady rise. Like most though the MEGA KEYS are still unobtainable even if there definitely still is  room for growth. 

On 1/11/2021 at 5:01 PM, Mmehdy said:

This is sort of the "golden age" for all collectables time....But we must remember that unlike most collectables, GA/SA comic book collecting has been steady upwards on price since the 1097's. If you were to ask me why? I would say one name...Bob Overstreet...even today in the jet age on information, there still is a mention or look at what the "Guide" says...and it was not to many years later that they realized that Bob was keeping price tame, or conservative in terms of growth, it was the auctions I believe which blew away Overstreet when its influence diminished .

I would be very wary of making any kind of investment in these new card collectables, knowing that Baseball cards took big dip at one time just stamps etc. GA/SA Comic book collecting is a true rarity in the collecting field given it stable price history. What if these new collectors discover comic books......

From a former card collector, I wanted badly to always have the "key cards" when I was collecting cards heavily back 20-30 years ago, but the prices always seemed just out of reach on most.  I did manage to obtain a few at the time, thinking they will always be there if I wanted them. Now, 20-30 years later I have slowly watched as some of the cards I wanted, and always thought I would be able to get (like a 52 Mantle) have gone through the roof, even in low grade.  I think this is what is starting to happen in the Comics field too.  Although prices have gone through the stratosphere for some key issues it's just starting, and low to mid grades in these areas will only increase because most can't afford copies of high grade examples.

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

How about if we start with this little former worthless piece of drek, but in today's social media pandemic driven environmment, has all of a sudden become a super hot gem of a beauty where the sky is the limit for this book now:   :fear:   :sick:

Just imagine, the lucky buyer can have this green beauty of a book for only $1,000 tonight before the auction houses like HA, CC, and CL opens up in the morning and they just might have to pay $10K to acquire it.   :luhv:

I'll take it  :takeit:......................the money, that is!!!  :whee:  :banana:

Okay, since I don't actually think I have that book or the equally in demand Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters book, how about this turd here which I do have for the piddly sum of only $2,000 before they go ballistics tomorrow:   O.o  lol

s-l1600.jpg

No joke but I loved this book.

3 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

From a former card collector, I wanted badly to always have the "key cards" when I was collecting cards heavily back 20-30 years ago, but the prices always seemed just out of reach on most.  I did manage to obtain a few at the time, thinking they will always be there if I wanted them. Now, 20-30 years later I have slowly watched as some of the cards I wanted, and always thought I would be able to get (like a 52 Mantle) have gone through the roof, even in low grade.  I think this is what is starting to happen in the Comics field too.  Although prices have gone through the stratosphere for some key issues it's just starting, and low to mid grades in these areas will only increase because most can't afford copies of high grade examples.

Long ago, I came to the realization that I wouldn't be able to chase the Mickey Mantle cards I wanted in NM/MT 8 or finer, but (at the time) things were still doable in grades good through EX or so. While I wasn't able to get a '52 Topps Mantle, I did manage to get his true Bowman rookie and much of his other issues. I have no complaints about the cards I've managed to hang onto. Did miss the boat on a Jordan rookie, I'll admit, and I really don't know why I did, as I was about 15 when it was issued. Somehow or other I wasn't paying attention at the time, but yet I don't feel that bad. Had I once had packs or a full wax box of '86 Fleer Basketball in hand, ready to buy and then said "nah", yes, I would be kicking myself now. :)

3 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

Long ago, I came to the realization that I wouldn't be able to chase the Mickey Mantle cards I wanted in NM/MT 8 or finer, but (at the time) things were still doable in grades good through EX or so. While I wasn't able to get a '52 Topps Mantle, I did manage to get his true Bowman rookie and much of his other issues. I have no complaints about the cards I've managed to hang onto. Did miss the boat on a Jordan rookie, I'll admit, and I really don't know why I did, as I was about 15 when it was issued. Somehow or other I wasn't paying attention at the time, but yet I don't feel that bad. Had I once had packs or a full wax box of '86 Fleer Basketball in hand, ready to buy and then said "nah", yes, I would be kicking myself now. :)

Oh, don't get me started on the 86 Fleer Basketball.  A friend of mine used to work in a local grocery store, so he and I would get a box or two almost every week.  We used to wrap the stickers around Bic lighters.  At one time between us we probably had 10 Jordan rookies.  Too bad our Mom's threw these away and kept the 80's baseball cards.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Oh, don't get me started on the 86 Fleer Basketball.  A friend of mine used to work in a local grocery store, so he and I would get a box or two almost every week.  We used to wrap the stickers around Bic lighters.  At one time between us we probably had 10 Jordan rookies.  Too bad our Mom's threw these away and kept the 80's baseball cards.

Ugh!! I'm sorry, if that helps at all. Wish I had seen a box to buy and then put away (in my mind, I might actually have done this at 15.) :)

On 1/27/2021 at 4:54 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Like I said, after the big time fiasco that took place in the equity markets with these particular stocks today, you are probably patting yourself on the back.  (thumbsu

There's probably no worse feeling than holding a stock when its share price is crashing as most of the small time retail customer online trading platforms are banning new purchases and only allowing selling of your equity position in these companies.  Especially when the big hedge funds are still apparently allowed to wheel and deal and no doubt driving the prices down even further with massive short selling knowing full well that the little guys can't buy.  :mad:  :censored:

Definitely some massive class action lawsuits coming as this looks like the 21st century version of Robin Hood in terms of robbing the poor while their hands are tied behind their back and then giving it all to the rich and wealthy.  hm  :mad:  :censored:

On 28/1/2021 at 12:13 AM, lou_fine said:

s-l1600.jpg

I'll be the new Green Arrow hitting the streets for real before this bullst*t hits $1000.  I better start learning karate...

↓↓↓ Don't kick yourself for not having that sold for 6-figures.  There are still some GA comics that the hobby hasn't discovered yet...

39 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Speaking of room to grow, the 6.5 Tec 27 is still sitting there on Heritage waiting for someone to make an offer if they won't pull the 1.2975 trigger.

You and me are to old to spend that kind of money on books we paid 1000 for back in the day :preach:

On 1/2/2021 at 3:07 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Unbelievable.  There must be hundreds of them out there.  I had a couple of them back in the day....they came back graded 8 & 9 though.

Once again I say....if things like this are worth $500K+, then many top-graded GA's keys should be worth 8-figures.

Edited by ChillMan
I meant "8-figures" but accidently typed "7-figures".