• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mega keys have a lot of room for growth
2 2

172 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2021 at 2:55 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Yeah saw the break happen when the card was pulled out of the box. It's a pretty big hit. The article though has an error in that there is no autograph on the card. Doubt it will reach 750k. The logoman autographed version of zion is still out there I assume hidden in a box. That one I can see fetching half a mil or more.

Everyone knows about sports cards now.  Everyone knows that rookie cards in the best condition are worth the most.  Therefore newly produced cards are no longer collectible.  They will never be worth much.  Some people don't want to face this fact....so they manufacture fake collectibles, 1-of-1 cards with gold borders, 3D, and pieces of jerseys stuck to it.  Not interesting to me at all.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

My nephew wants to know when will the fire start on unopened action figures since he's apparently been collecting them for decades?  :facepalm:  :wishluck:

Those are for nerds! lol

3 hours ago, tth2 said:
5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

My nephew wants to know when will the fire start on unopened action figures since he's apparently been collecting them for decades?  :facepalm:  :wishluck:

Those are for nerds! lol

Isn't that what they used to say about guys who collect comic books, or was it something even worse than that?  :bigsmile:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:
8 hours ago, tth2 said:
10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Those are for nerds! lol

Isn't that what they used to say about guys who collect comic books, or was it something even worse than that?  :bigsmile:

No way, collecting comics has always been considered to be very cool and prestigious.

Didn't "Prom King" usually go to the senior with the best comic collection? 

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

Didn't "Prom King" usually go to the senior with the best comic collection? 

Talking about nerds and computer nerds in particular, didn't Bill Gates go out with girls in his younger days and couldn't figure out why girls kept saying "micro" and "soft", but then thought it would be a good name for his new company since it must be the "in" thing with girls back then.  hm  lol

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

And a Tom Brady rookie card just sold for 500k.  Mint. Autographed. 

Very same card that was traded for a NWC a year or so ago.   

It was valued around 150 then and is the same card in the scoop article that describes the trade being brokered through Metropolis.   I thought the card owner lost the trade at the time, and the passing year hasn't been any kinder.     The deal looks worse not better.  

Edited by Bronty

40 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Very same card that was traded for a NWC a year or so ago.   

It was valued around 150 then and is the same card in the scoop article that describes the trade being brokered through Metropolis.   I thought the card owner lost the trade at the time, and the passing year hasn't been any kinder.     The deal looks worse not better.  

Had no idea that was the same card.  Didnt out the 2 together.  Yeah at this point any video game would have a heck of a time catching up to 600k. 

22 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Had no idea that was the same card.  Didnt out the 2 together.  Yeah at this point any video game would have a heck of a time catching up to 600k. 

well, I know the owner a little so its not like I deduced it either.   

Actually there's one specific copy of one specific game that has been offered and turned down above that level .    But yes, incredibly few would meet that bar at this point in time.    But its not zero .    Seems crazy considering games broke 100k not long ago, and comics 1m not long ago, but what's the MH action 1 now - 5, 10, 15?    Mantle PSA 10 is being talked about as 10,15m too.     So that's perspective to say that there might be a game you could get 1m for right now.    Its still 10% of those other hobbies after all so IMO really not out of line, especially when that 100k game mark has been passed by much much less desirable pieces since the first 100k sale.      That 100k number is no barrier at this point if the item is of sufficient quality.     Its just a matter of HA finding something good enough to deserve the price.    There's one in the April sale that should be good for 200+.

Edited by Bronty

8 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Yeah at this point any video game would have a heck of a time catching up to 600k.

Talking about video games, just imagine if you had brought a few thousand shares of that worthless and almost bankrupt Game Stop company a few weeks ago.  :takeit:

Based upon the after hours trading price, you could have been sitting close to a million dollars as they go and take some of those hedge fund short managers out to the woodshed and give them a hard lesson at their own game.  :fear::tonofbricks:  :cry:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Talking about video games, just imagine if you had brought a few thousand shares of that worthless and almost bankrupt Game Stop company a few weeks ago.  :takeit:

Based upon the after hours trading price, you could have been sitting close to a million dollars as they go and take some of those hedge fund short managers out to the woodshed and give them a hard lesson at their own game.  :fear::tonofbricks:  :cry:

I was just reading about that tonight 

13 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:
15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I was just reading about that tonight 

Yes, looks like at least one of the hedge funds decided to call it a day and have now closed out their position on Game Stop with the stock hitting almost a high of $380 after closing yesterday at under $150.  I guess that's the dangers of shorting when you've got a mob of small retail investors sitting at home with nothing else to spend their stimulus money on except for comic book and stocks (or even cheaper killer call options) when it was selling for under $20 about 2 weeks ago.  :whatthe:  :whatthe: :flipbait:

Needless to say, my better half is totally p*iss off at me since she told me last night we should buy into AMC which closed at under $5 yesterday and ended up opening up the trading day at $20.  :slapfight:  :censored:   I told her she really can't complain that much since she still has her almost worthless shares of Blackberry (while I sold off my portion for at a loss well over a decade ago  doh! :censored: ) from way back in the day and these screwballs have now driven that one up to almost $30 from the $6 price point it was at earlier this month.  Finally, after all these long years.  :whee::banana:  

Any chance we can get some of these nut cases from the Reddit WallStreetBets to join us here so that they can drive the price of our worthless 1980's B&W's and Valiant books to go up past the price of Action 1 and 'Tec 27.  lol  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

19 hours ago, lou_fine said:

that was amazing.   I have a feeling we will be talking about that for a while