• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problem with the Board Software Update Yesterday
5 5

82 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2020 at 7:11 PM, fastballspecial said:

Is there only certain areas where we can add color now?

In the selling thread I can seem to mark my items SOLD

Some reason for that now?

What the....

CAL who needs to re-learn this Board....

On 12/17/2020 at 3:57 PM, dena said:

New top post/posters sidebar that appears on the right in some threads

• It looks like this sidebar only appears once a thread has reached a certain number of replies. We're looking to confirm this. We feel like we should hide this because we don't think users particularly care about this info 

+58,000,000,000,000

4.thumb.PNG.54fa1900250be62ae643194b1e67663d.PNG

:wishluck:

So I managed to get rid of the annoying right side bar on my own, which only leaves one annoyance on my list.

Would it be possible to go back to having email notifications show the entire text of the forum post/PM rather than just the first line or so? It's particularly annoying in the threads I follow with a daily digest.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, ttfitz said:

So I managed to get rid of the annoying right side bar on my own, which only leaves one annoyance on my list.

I'd like to know how you did that if you're willing to share 

Would it be possible to go back to having email notifications show the entire text of the forum post/PM rather than just the first line or so? It's particularly annoying in the threads I follow with a daily digest.

Thanks.

For me, my daily digest email ( titled "Your CGC Comic Book Collectors Chat Boards digest") has the full post for each entry in the threads I follow. But my email notifications for individual events (person quoted me / responded to my post) and personal messages are cut to only the first line of text. I also would prefer those to revert to full text if possible.

I also have a question about a change to journal entries outstanding which is important to me. I think we're long overdue an update on these things. 

Here's my issue summary from another thread:

6 hours ago, ttfitz said:

Thanks.

Back in 2007 or so, the boards "made the big switch".  with a new format.  It had a sidebar, too.  Finally, a way was discovered to turn it off.  Most quickly did so.  How did you turn this one off?

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/45-topic-view-summary-and-more-r1191/

This seems to show that only admin can switch it off. It looks very easy to do, just untick a box.

12 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:
14 hours ago, ttfitz said:

I'd like to know how you did that if you're willing to share 

8 hours ago, comicdonna said:

How did you turn this one off?

I use uBlock Origin for adblocking, and one of the features is you can block parts of a webpage from displaying. With uBlock installed, if you right-click on some part of a webpage, the context menu has an entry, "Block element". I did that first with the sidebar, and it went away - but the big blank space was left. I then had to do the same, selecting the space and blocking it, which finally spread out the thread.

I initially tried using a different extension, Stylus, which lets you create styles for given webpages, but not being that familiar with CSS, I never could figure out what the important elements were named to remove.

12 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

For me, my daily digest email ( titled "Your CGC Comic Book Collectors Chat Boards digest") has the full post for each entry in the threads I follow.

Well son-of-a-gun, you are right! I hadn't noticed as most of the threads I follow this way tend to be rather short messages.

1 hour ago, ttfitz said:

I use uBlock Origin for adblocking, and one of the features is you can block parts of a webpage from displaying. With uBlock installed, if you right-click on some part of a webpage, the context menu has an entry, "Block element". I did that first with the sidebar, and it went away - but the big blank space was left. I then had to do the same, selecting the space and blocking it, which finally spread out the thread.

I initially tried using a different extension, Stylus, which lets you create styles for given webpages, but not being that familiar with CSS, I never could figure out what the important elements were named to remove.

Cheers - something to try if the feature ends up being left in place

Hi @dena, it's been over a month since you last posted - do you have any update for us on any of the outstanding issues raised in this and other threads?

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/480195-a-list-of-issues-relating-to-the-mid-december-2020-forum-software-upgrade/

I joined the Invision Community last week to see if I could get some answers to the Journals procedural changes but my posts there remain hidden pending moderator approval.

I know you're a busy bee, but a quick update would be much appreciated

:)

I copied this post and sent it to an admin.  It's possible your link helped the sidebar to go away.

On 1/19/2021 at 8:47 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/45-topic-view-summary-and-more-r1191/

This seems to show that only admin can switch it off. It looks very easy to do, just untick a box.

4 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I copied this post and sent it to an admin.  It's possible your link helped the sidebar to go away.

Oh, sure, after I figure out a way on my own to get rid of it! lol

Oh well, at least my method also removed the sidebar on the topics page, too, so the threads cover the entire width of the display. Occasionally there'd be something to catch my eye there, but most of the time I'd rather have the extra space.

• Administrator
On 1/20/2021 at 6:35 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Hi @dena, it's been over a month since you last posted - do you have any update for us on any of the outstanding issues raised in this and other threads?

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/480195-a-list-of-issues-relating-to-the-mid-december-2020-forum-software-upgrade/

I joined the Invision Community last week to see if I could get some answers to the Journals procedural changes but my posts there remain hidden pending moderator approval.

I know you're a busy bee, but a quick update would be much appreciated

:)

Unfortunately we have been tied up with a number of time sensitive projects and have not been able to devote the time necessary to get these issues sorted out as quickly as we'd like. However, we are aware of them and getting to them as we have the time. The sidebar issue for example was something that required that we reach out to Invision support because the option to make it go away could not be found in our admin tools. Thank you for the time you've taken to help others deal with these unexpected changes.

38 minutes ago, dena said:

Unfortunately we have been tied up with a number of time sensitive projects and have not been able to devote the time necessary to get these issues sorted out as quickly as we'd like. However, we are aware of them and getting to them as we have the time. The sidebar issue for example was something that required that we reach out to Invision support because the option to make it go away could not be found in our admin tools. Thank you for the time you've taken to help others deal with these unexpected changes.

You're welcome Dena. I know you'd do more if time and resources allowed. Good luck with the projects.

On 1/25/2021 at 11:53 AM, dena said:

It's dialed in well enough that I'd forgotten the upgrade happened... and that is the sign of a successful upgrade. Coincidentally, I got my first smartphone ever for Christmas this year and the boards seem to work fine for me. I'm not having the issues Cat is referring to. Sometimes cheap is better. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu