• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How are we feeling about the new CGC Boards tweaks?
3 3

89 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, CrocHntr said:

Any idea how to “mark the forum read”?  Used to be a link at the top of each forum.  I can never read all the posts, so always like to mark forum read to know the last time I scanned the boards.  I’m not seeing it now...?

Click on the orange chat bubble to the left on the forums home page.1647144736_Screenshot2020-12-19at19_47_53.thumb.png.8b57fd39a873d1ed93614fd5e5df86ad.png

On 12/19/2020 at 2:49 PM, Foley said:

Click on the orange chat bubble to the left on the forums home page.1647144736_Screenshot2020-12-19at19_47_53.thumb.png.8b57fd39a873d1ed93614fd5e5df86ad.png

4 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

Thanks for the tip...that’s a HORRIBLE change, especially since you can’t individually mark the sales sub categories 

My thoughts exactly.  Now I actually have to exit the GA Forum to mark it read.  Much simpler when there was a link at the top within the forum you’re viewing.

25 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

tweak !? :roflmao:  more like F-up

Clark's handle has a second line and all that wasted space to the left.  doh! 

Capture.thumb.PNG.7cd229bdb3008bd474dae89394d37fd4.PNG

Caesar got squashed to make room for the side bar - hopefully we'll see the back of it soon Peter :wishluck::

Nice to see Christmas Elvis back by the way :headbang:

EP-xmas.thumb.gif.cb852587dfef3345e80a4da5874293dd.gif.226103b40dce8cf4f3fb9d2af8f72512.gif

On 12/18/2020 at 1:48 PM, comicdonna said:

There's a drop down menu.  Click on the 3 dots in the upper right section of your posts.  

Got it.  So, making one step into two is a considered an improvement?

I’m not feeling much love for these tweaks.  Really dislike ‘em on my iPad because of the squeezed boxes.  Have no use for expanded Announcements box inside threads.  Other’s mileage may vary, but my impression is that after the side bar scrolls past whatever site news is there ...usually the first post... there’s wasted space grayed out on the right.  

Hiding the reaction icons makes their use clunkier too.  Nope, not a fan.

The notification side bar on right is apparently in every thread, but this one.  It’s an annoying waste of space that reduces image size on iPads.  IPads are the ideal in between size mobile data conveyance, so reducing iPad usefulness by turning site platform functionality into a cell phone app seems counterproductive.  If those overseeing the “tweaking” process consider this a site upgrade, it seems woefully misinformed.

In fairness, some of the modest changes ...such as hiding the emoji reaction icons and moving the edit button into a drop-down menu... are fairly easily adapted to once you know what you’re dealing with.  Those changes may not add anything to the convenience, but if folks like the tweaks, raising issues over the less significant ones is much ado about very little.  

OTOH, constricting space at the expense of iPad users to make the site a bit more cellphone friendly seems misguided.  The analogy that comes to mind is the old adage about robbing Peter to pay Paul.  To my way of thinking the notifications would be better placed at the start of the thread rather than running along the side.

No doubt some tech savvy folks will see any contrarian viewpoint as the typical “get off of my lawn, kid” argument. But I’m not coming at this from a lawnmower’s perspective.  Is it really that unreasonable to value consistent functionality and familiarity over technical changes that provide a small benefit to some while reducing usefulness to others?  :foryou:

My intent here isn’t to be critical, but rather to understand the reasons for these changes/tweaks.  Just curious about where others stand on this or if it even matters to anyone besides the overly caffeinated.  hm

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Good ale, natch!