BeatleBlueCat DEFRAUDING BUYERS with Massive SHILL BIDDING and Same old "Buy CGC graded 7.5, crack and sell as raw "NM" scam
7 7

755 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

That's pretty scummy, but I have to admit...that's a good looking 7.5! I guess that's the scam though...buy up good looking "for the grade" books to help the sale at the end...

That's the first thing I noticed-a very nice 7.5 imho.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CatskillMike said:

That's the first thing I noticed-a very nice 7.5 imho.

From the outside yes, but who knows what's going on inside. Same book looks like. Two distinct color flecks in the black top edge above the letter M and V in Marvel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DR.X said:

From the outside yes, but who knows what's going on inside. Same book looks like. Two distinct color flecks in the black top edge above the letter M and V in Marvel.

exactly...something not visible, or apparent, most likely brought it down...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Callaway29 said:
8 minutes ago, DR.X said:

From the outside yes, but who knows what's going on inside. Same book looks like. Two distinct color flecks in the black top edge above the letter M and V in Marvel.

exactly...something not visible, or apparent, most likely brought it down...

could be a dozen things. stain, water spot, inside covers, staple issues, torn pages, pieces missing, who knows. this guy sounds like a real pos.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironically, Jim Halperin of Heritage who owns most of CGC, did this with coins for years.

"He was dead center of his next misadventure after launching a coin grading agency, Numismatic Certification Institute, in 1984. It, too, went out of business, after the FTC found that Halperin was giving inflated grades to coins and marketing them through a Heritage-backed outfit called Certified Rare Coin Galleries. Using television ads to draw in victims, they sold high-grade silver and gold U.S. coins for more than twice what they would have fetched in more-reputable retail channels." --Forbes 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Ironically, Jim Halperin of Heritage who owns most of CGC, did this with coins for years.

"He was dead center of his next misadventure after launching a coin grading agency, Numismatic Certification Institute, in 1984. It, too, went out of business, after the FTC found that Halperin was giving inflated grades to coins and marketing them through a Heritage-backed outfit called Certified Rare Coin Galleries. Using television ads to draw in victims, they sold high-grade silver and gold U.S. coins for more than twice what they would have fetched in more-reputable retail channels." --Forbes 

Wow. 
 

I want a shocked face. 
they have sad, laughing, confused...

 

I want a mouth and eyes wide open shocked face. That’s unbelievable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, I don't need to buy high grade raws so thankfully, I will never buy one of his books. I see listings like his raw one going for near what nice graded copies sell for and I always fear that someone is greatly overpaying, thinking they will get a NM or better book. There are enough inexperienced buyers out there with cash to burn. Seems like this guy is willing to take advantage of that but from experience, those types of sellers/dealer/collectors never fare well in the end. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be poor practice for me to enter an obscenely high bid so I win, and then never pay but ensure that I make his life hell and somehow leave feedback that shares his nefarious practices?

I took time to send some messages and click on some ebay reports....if enough people do, maybe something will happen. Maybe not. 

Edited by comicginger1789
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, D2 said:

Wow. 
 

I want a shocked face. 
they have sad, laughing, confused...

 

I want a mouth and eyes wide open shocked face. That’s unbelievable. 

:whatthe:

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Would it be poor practice for me to enter an obscenely high bid so I win, and then never pay but ensure that I make his life hell and somehow leave feedback that shares his nefarious practices?

I took time to send some messages and click on some ebay reports....if enough people do, maybe something will happen. Maybe not. 

I haven't read all the eBay rules for sellers, but I doubt whether what he is doing is illegal, or against their rules. Maybe unethical, but not illegal. A CGC label is just an opinion.

I received a book from a boardie recently that was in the original graded bag of an online comic store.  He sold it to me as an 8.5/9.0, but the label said 7.5. When I finally got around to entering the book into my collection, I'll be damned if the book wasn't 8.5/9.0 - it appears that the grader mistook some of artwork for creasing.

Edited by lizards2
- are the spoon filters lifted?
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
7 7