• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miller/Janson Daredevil 166 cover

29 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Twanj said:

COMMENTS: A 15% BUYER'S PREMIUM WILL BE ADDED TO THIS ITEM AT CONCLUSION OF THE AUCTION

Price after BP: $100,050

Just adding this for posterity.

I don't know the Miller Daredevil art market well. Is this price on the high end for a Miller DD cover?

7 hours ago, fsumavila said:

I don't know the Miller Daredevil art market well. Is this price on the high end for a Miller DD cover?

It feels like a pretty high price for what it is. It's a really cool looking cover, but not from the Miller written part of the run. I would consider it a cover from the lower half of most desired Miller DD covers(my opinion only). Miller DD covers just aren't particularly available in the market at the moment, and considering what DD interiors are going for, it's no surprise that 100k might be considered a floor for those covers.

I noticed ComicConnect had 15% Buyers Premium for a half dozen OA lots (mostly high-end stuff).  Seems like a new wrinkle as "No Buyers Premiums" was a key part of CC past marketing.  Maybe a test case for future CC auctions and/or a way to attract higher-end OA material, competing vs. Heritage (20% BP).  Not even sure if the 15% BP goes to consigner, CC or split.  I have no info, just trying to better understand the rationale. 

Question:  If CC does have 15% BPs for future auctions, will they be applied to high-end items or "select" consignors only?  If so, how is any BP better off for the consigner...theoretically, buyers factor BP into their total cost for bids placed so these lots have worse economics vs. regular consignments.  Heritage and ComicLink consistently apply the same BP (20% and 0% BP respectively) to all lots.  And what happened to the ASM 129 cover, moved to a future CC auction or perhaps sold privately? hm

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

2 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Question:  If CC does have 15% BPs for future auctions, will they be applied to high-end items or "select" consignors only? 

This seems like a question that is best answered by @Micah S. who works the art side for CC.  He was also a guest in a Comic Art Live episode on YouTube.

Edited by Will_K

14 hours ago, J.Sid said:

I dunno, if good panel pages, and we're not talking Bullseye/Elektra pages, are in the 30-40 range.... $100k for a very cool cover seems low.

I might be completely alone in this, but for me there is huge difference between the allure of pre-DD 168 covers/interiors and post DD 168 covers/interiors. Miller as writer/penciller was a massive turning point, and in my mind should be reflected in the price. 

Would love to own a Miller DD cover, but very few actually do it for me. I liked the DD #166 cover as published because of the new logo and corner box art. Really popped compared to the old one. But that's no so important when it comes to the original art.

As it is, DD #166 is very much a B cover to me. (It also happens to be one I do like from that second tier.) As the A covers aren't going anywhere, this is as good as it gets. And as it turns out, B costs six figures these days. Speaking for my own collection, I would take an A page over a B cover, straight-up. I would most definitely take two A pages then, over a B cover, if they cost the same. It's all crazy, regardless.

Wonder what an A cover would fetch now.

2 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I might be completely alone in this, but for me there is huge difference between the allure of pre-DD 168 covers/interiors and post DD 168 covers/interiors. Miller as writer/penciller was a massive turning point, and in my mind should be reflected in the price. 

which has more allure? i prefer the earlier books when Janson's influence wasn't so overpowering; at least that's what i thought when reading them at the time, not sure i think differently now. 

33 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Would love to own a Miller DD cover, but very few actually do it for me. I liked the DD #166 cover as published because of the new logo and corner box art. Really popped compared to the old one. But that's no so important when it comes to the original art.

As it is, DD #166 is very much a B cover to me. (It also happens to be one I do like from that second tier.) As the A covers aren't going anywhere, this is as good as it gets. And as it turns out, B costs six figures these days. Speaking for my own collection, I would take an A page over a B cover, straight-up. I would most definitely take two A pages then, over a B cover, if they cost the same. It's all crazy, regardless.

Wonder what an A cover would fetch now.

Someone should do a Miller DD cover poll. I think there is the DD 181 (curse you Dave M! :frustrated:) as THE cover to own, and then break it down from there.

And yeah, I agree with you about how desirable interiors from this run would be. So much of what made Miller DD special was the storytelling, which is where interiors shine versus covers or splashes.

31 minutes ago, paperheart said:

which has more allure? i prefer the earlier books when Janson's influence wasn't so overpowering; at least that's what i thought when reading them at the time, not sure i think differently now. 

Well, I prefer Janson's later inks to the early inks, and as far as story goes, there's no contest between the Miller versus non-Miller stories IMHO.

16 minutes ago, Carlo M said:

Visually I like the earlier issues. BTW I think the price of the cover was about right. Very historical for sure but the image is about panel - size.

I totally appreciate that view. Early stuff was really detailed and lush. More illustrative. Later stuff was more visceral and gritty. Very graphic. I love both approaches, but I'm more dazzled by the latter. And those later stories...