• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

History of the DC Universe poster OA (the ultimate jam piece) coming to April '21 Heritage Signature auction
1 1

15 posts in this topic

While browsing Heritage for the upcoming January auction, I came across this sneak peak of what's in store in April's Signature auction:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-joe-kubert-and-others-history-of-the-dc-universe

I'd never seen the O/A for this before and don't think it's on CAF.  The piece is pretty much a who's who of artists who were still alive at the time and includes Jack Kirby, Bob Kane, Joe Kubert, Gil Kane, Jim Steranko, Gene Colan, Michael Kaluta, Jim Starlin, Jim Aparo, Frank Thorne, Bill Sienkiewicz, Howard Chaykin, Dave Gibbons and on and on.

Anyone willing to take a SWAG at what this might go for?  It's such a unique piece without any peers that I can think of that I can't even begin to guess.

On 12/19/2020 at 12:29 PM, ShallowDan said:

While browsing Heritage for the upcoming January auction, I came across this sneak peak of what's in store in April's Signature auction:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-joe-kubert-and-others-history-of-the-dc-universe

I'd never seen the O/A for this before and don't think it's on CAF.  The piece is pretty much a who's who of artists who were still alive at the time and includes Jack Kirby, Bob Kane, Joe Kubert, Gil Kane, Jim Steranko, Gene Colan, Michael Kaluta, Jim Starlin, Jim Aparo, Frank Thorne, Bill Sienkiewicz, Howard Chaykin, Dave Gibbons and on and on.

Anyone willing to take a SWAG at what this might go for?  It's such a unique piece without any peers that I can think of that I can't even begin to guess.

The more I look at this one, the more I like it. It's quite something getting all of those names in one spot.

On 12/19/2020 at 12:40 PM, alxjhnsn said:

At least. It could go for more given some of the creators on it. It's likely as genuine Bob Kane as you are going to find, for example.

Almost....almost got Sugar and Spike on there!!!

54 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Almost....almost got Sugar and Spike on there!!!

I heard that and I'm so disappointed that Sheldon turned it down. They deserve to be front and center!

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 12/25/2020 at 10:17 PM, Nexus said:

Fast-forward to 3:20.

Off-camera, discussed with Bob about why it was deemed necessary to include Chop-Chop. Especially that version. Suffice to say, we see things differently. He addresses it a bit in the video.

An incredible jam piece (maybe most impressive ever?), and a real trick to pull off. The horrifically racist caricature, then, is...unfortunate. It just didn't need to be there. I know of at least one big collector to whom this is no big deal at all. Hell, it might even be a plus for him. But I also know others who won't bid because of it. 

You won't be seeing it in my CAF, regardless!

I missed Chop-Chop when first looking at the piece on Heritage, but once you know he's there, it's definitely a blemish on an otherwise amazing piece.  I'm never one for trying to scrub things from the past (be it WWII era comics or the Looney Tunes / Merry Melodies "Censored Eleven"), but what makes this particular example so egregious is the fact that it was a horribly outdated take on the character even by the time the poster was published.  DC had so long moved on from that design by the 80s that I suspect younger Blackhawk fans at the time would've likely had no idea whom they were even looking at here.

Given that it's one small part of an otherwise amazing piece, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me personally (not that I'll have to worry about that, since this is going to be way out of my price range), but I can definitely understand why it would be for others.