• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay listings with questionable claims

14 posts in this topic

I found this eBay listing, and thought the headline was a stretch. I figured enough of us have come across eBay listings that have claimed something about a book to the point of it being ridiculous and amusing, that we might want to share with others.

Let's exclude listings in which sellers are asking outrageous prices or claiming a condition that the book clearly isn't. (Probably not much of amusement value in those)

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 10.23.19 AM.png

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

When I thought about starting the topic, it reminded me of this listing discussed in the Moderns Heating Up thread:

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 9.40.39 PM.png

It’s not the seller’s listing that was the most amusing thing they stated lol 

Any one of a number of listings referring to Malibu Sun as the 1st Spawn appearance. 

Even if we ignore the whole preview vs first appearance argument, it's not even the first time he appeared in a preview. This auction is just one of the offenders, but there's plenty more where that came from

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MALIBU-SUN-13-FIRST-APPEARANCE-OF-SPAWN-CGC-9-6-VHTF-FIRST-TIME-OFFERING-WOW-/333824426854?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

On 12/20/2020 at 9:43 AM, Legion of Goom said:

Any one of a number of listings referring to Malibu Sun as the 1st Spawn appearance. 

Even if we ignore the whole preview vs first appearance argument, it's not even the first time he appeared in a preview. This auction is just one of the offenders, but there's plenty more where that came from

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MALIBU-SUN-13-FIRST-APPEARANCE-OF-SPAWN-CGC-9-6-VHTF-FIRST-TIME-OFFERING-WOW-/333824426854?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

This is true, but ideally, I figured we already have enough threads for arguing about what is a first appearance and what is not. I was hoping, perhaps overly optimistically, to keep the focus on claims that would pretty much universally agreed are ridiculous.

12 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

This is true, but ideally, I figured we already have enough threads for arguing about what is a first appearance and what is not. I was hoping, perhaps overly optimistically, to keep the focus on claims that would pretty much universally agreed are ridiculous.

We're in alignment- my point wasn't to rehash the old 1st appearance vs preview thing...what I was pointing out was that, even if one buys 1000% in to previews being the true first appearance, there still isn't a case for Malibu Sun being the first appearance, as Spawn appeared in other previews first. 

So, regardless of what side of the fence one is regarding the first appearance debate, the one thing all parties should be in agreement on is that MB Sun ain't it and shouldn't be advertised as such. Apologies if that's splitting hairs too finely- I'm sure I can dig up something more in the spirit if what you were looking for 👍

7 minutes ago, Legion of Goom said:

We're in alignment- my point wasn't to rehash the old 1st appearance vs preview thing...what I was pointing out was that, even if one buys 1000% in to previews being the true first appearance, there still isn't a case for Malibu Sun being the first appearance, as Spawn appeared in other previews first. 

So, regardless of what side of the fence one is regarding the first appearance debate, the one thing all parties should be in agreement on is that MB Sun ain't it and shouldn't be advertised as such. Apologies if that's splitting hairs too finely- I'm sure I can dig up something more in the spirit if what you were looking for 👍

Understood

On 12/19/2020 at 6:47 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I found this eBay listing, and thought the headline was a stretch. I figured enough of us have come across eBay listings that have claimed something about a book to the point of it being ridiculous and amusing, that we might want to share with others.

Let's exclude listings in which sellers are asking outrageous prices or claiming a condition that the book clearly isn't. (Probably not much of amusement value in those)

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 10.23.19 AM.png

That’s pretty funny 😂

BF9CCA8E-7A58-46F8-B414-F47670E4A3C8.jpeg