• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whitman Thread
15 15

605 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, bellrules said:

Oddly enough, picked these up yesterday. Overstreet mistakenly refers to the 75 cent versions as Whitman variants. They are just regular newsstand. I know, that’s where I bought mine as a kid.

6747CFBD-C7F4-4404-AFD0-F21C70F39205.jpeg

F3A2A35F-D9DE-44BC-B848-BDBC3DC40DB2.jpeg

These are awesome! Where are you guys getting the bagged editions these days? Online, flea market, thrift shop, LCS, antique store?

3 hours ago, bellrules said:

It’s priced at 1.49, so the going rate for comics in Canada at the time. Funny thing is, three packs were selling for 1.59 and 1.69 in the States. 

5105A629-F80B-4B7A-8D9D-286434E20AD3.jpeg

I Don't understand these later bagged comics. I remember buying the Whitman bagged comics in the 70`s because you could get 3 comics for cheaper than regular cover price. But these later ones give you only 2 comics and cost more than cover price. What am I missing here?

17 minutes ago, Morganmi said:

I Don't understand these later bagged comics. I remember buying the Whitman bagged comics in the 70`s because you could get 3 comics for cheaper than regular cover price. But these later ones give you only 2 comics and cost more than cover price. What am I missing here?

Canadian cover price is $1.50 (2 x 75 cents), so some are packaged for the Canadian market.

6 hours ago, Morganmi said:

Most of the bags I’ve seen and owned only offered a penny off the cover price. I used to buy them simply because I couldn’t find comics anywhere else.

7 hours ago, ChrispyC66 said:

These are awesome! Where are you guys getting the bagged editions these days? Online, flea market, thrift shop, LCS, antique store?

I bought most of my bags online. I’ve been searching them for 20 years. I can tell you they are a lot harder to find now. Possibly because folks open them for grading?

30 minutes ago, wormboy said:

Most of the bags I’ve seen and owned only offered a penny off the cover price. I used to buy them simply because I couldn’t find comics anywhere else.

I think  when I was getting them in the late 70's the 3 pak bags were like  .99$ and I could sometimes beg my mom for a dollar at the grocery store and get 3 where as I could only get 2 with a dollar if the 3 packs had stuff I didn't like or already had. 

7 minutes ago, Morganmi said:

I think  when I was getting them in the late 70's the 3 pak bags were like  .99$ and I could sometimes beg my mom for a dollar at the grocery store and get 3 where as I could only get 2 with a dollar if the 3 packs had stuff I didn't like or already had.

Would be more interesting get to see these comics you got in the late 70's

54 minutes ago, ganni said:

Would be more interesting get to see these comics you got in the late 70's

Yea they are pretty tattered as I was only like 8 then but I still have the Star Wars 1 2 3 reprints and others that I guess were not reprints, and Battlestar Galactica 123, remember some LSH and FF  and various others too if I recall correctly. Will do some box digging soon. :bigsmile: