• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for the board on a recent HA sale item
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Can any of you give me a guess as to why this particular Gene Colan Wonder Woman title splash sold for $4600, not including buyers premium? 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/gene-colan-and-frank-mclaughlin-wonder-woman-291-splash-page-1-original-art-dc-1982-/a/122050-13623.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Can any of you give me a guess as to why this particular Gene Colan Wonder Woman title splash sold for $4600, not including buyers premium? 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/gene-colan-and-frank-mclaughlin-wonder-woman-291-splash-page-1-original-art-dc-1982-/a/122050-13623.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Why wouldn’t it? A 1980s splash featuring Wonder Woman and Zatanna together and drawn by Gene Colan shouldn’t sell that high?

6 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

Why wouldn’t it? A 1980s splash featuring Wonder Woman and Zatanna together and drawn by Gene Colan shouldn’t sell that high?

Not when you compare to other WW pages by Gene Colan of the same vintage. Even if it’s a title splash. 

Similarly, I chalk it up to being right piece offered at the right time.  As always, you just need two guys willing to duke it out to see the price ran up.  

I've no idea (something I don't track/follow), but I wouldn't be too surprised if Wonder Woman OA in general has been on an upward trend the last few years with her being one of the more successful DC characters at the box office.

7 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Gorgeous 40 year old splash by Colan, for sale just before the launch of the 2nd Wonder Woman movie, and also featuring Zatanna!

Frankly, I don’t think it’s that gorgeous. Yes, two close-ups, but the subject matter is kind of dull, along with the character positioning. Besides, the subject matter isn’t Colan’s forte, in my opinion. It’s no Dracula.

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Frankly, I don’t think it’s that gorgeous. Yes, two close-ups, but the subject matter is kind of dull, along with the character positioning. Besides, the subject matter isn’t Colan’s forte, in my opinion. It’s no Dracula.

But it doesn't really matter whether you like it or not.  At least two others thought very highly of it and determined its worth $5K+ to them.

OA is on fire now, and there's no way this would have sold for $5K+ a year ago, but I suppose it takes longer than others for some to adjust to the new reality of collectibles pricing. 

To me, there's nothing remarkable about it.  I'm far from being a Gene Colan fan.  The posing for both characters is weird.  But the view from the back is typical for the Marvel style.  Also, Frank McLaughlin may have not had enough experience inking Colan to work wonders like someone such as Tom Palmer.

Edited by Will_K

You have a very nice page. But comparing a splash to a panel page isn't really comparable. Many collectors only want splashes and covers and while I like your page (and it looks more like Colan's work than the splash), you just never know. 

As much as I want my art to increase in price, I usually sell because I want to buy something "better" (very subjective term). At that point, either pick a price you are willing to sell it for or put it in a auction. You will either get your price (or it won't sell) or at an auction, you will most likely get FMV (give or take a little bit). Take those dollars and buy something else, which by the way most likely went up in value over the course of your WW ownership period also. 

I will say that when I have sold at auction (usually ComicLink), I have not been disappointed in the sale price. I have been disappointed (a few weeks or months later) when I just picked a price, after seeing someone else sell it a while later for a lot more (oh, well, such is life).

9 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

But it doesn't really matter whether you like it or not.  At least two others thought very highly of it and determined its worth $5K+ to them.

OA is on fire now, and there's no way this would have sold for $5K+ a year ago, but I suppose it takes longer than others for some to adjust to the new reality of collectibles pricing. 

You are right: it doesn't matter for bidding purposes  whether I like it or not. But that wasn't what I was responding to. It was this comment of yours: "Gorgeous 40 year old splash by Colan". 

In my view, and that of others, I see, it isn't that gorgeous. 

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I like yours better, but it may not sell for as much because it isn't a splash.

I figured it wouldn’t sell for as much as a title splash. But I thought maybe that splash had a special story significance, or something, because I agree with others here; I don’t think it’s that awesome. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17