• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you think the value of comics will eventually tank?
1 1

43 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

While the popularity of comic book collecting may dwindle sometime in the future, Golden and Silver Age books will be propped by the affluent buyers wanting to compete with their peers.  In my opinion, if you want to get into an area of collecting that may have a bright future for some time, then graded video games may be the way to go.

I'm thinking graded pokemon cards since the people who find those nostalgic are only now getting into their 30s and have many years of higher disposable income to obtain and feed that market while they replace the old guard in high paying jobs.

Edited by William-James88

In my opinion, being a coin collector myself, I don't see how anything truly one of a kind collectible would drop in value.  The old always comes back as a piece of "art."  If it's one of the last of it's kind, collector's are human and will have a natural desire for being one of the few that has it or chase after it.  Others would be discouraged because there's only 1 and it's unaffordable.  With comics, if you have an actual signature from the artist, I do not believe that it would devalue.  I mean for instance, if you had a comic from Stan Lee, do you fee1l like those comics would devalue with the movie industry and all making amazing remakes of super hero movies nonstop?  Or do you think that they will replace the original spiderman with a cyborg spiderman or new improved version that the original ones will just be forgotten?   Humans love history and owning a piece of history is like a silly accomplishment feeling that doesn't really go away imo (in my opinion).

I used to think that going on vacation to Rome to see the sights is the same as VR in Italy.  However, when I experienced both, meh, not so much.  Same with comics.  I can see the comic book online and print it out in my color printer but a signed one authenticated?  No, I don't think the value with devalue.  Speaking of which, I do believe devalue does happen though if it's over valued in the first place (See Pokemon PSA 10 1st Edition Squirtle, after Youtube videos etc. jumped the card to $3k, it's now dwindling down to $2k as demand drops but imo it's because it was overvalued at $3k.  I mean, I bought that card last year for $200 and am scratching my head on that still to this day).

Edited by Absolution

I completely disagree with the consensus. Comic collecting is where sports cards were 2-3years ago. An '86 fleer Jordan PSA 10 is $250k and yet a Star Wars #1 9.8 wp is $4K?? Something isn't adding up. (btw both populations are similar at around 600) While yes it's true that most comics are worthless, just like most cards are worthless, the hobby as a whole relative to the scarcity of key books and also relative to the mainstream and growing appeal of the stories and characters, is highly undervalued. my .02.