• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crappy copy of Avengers 1... but just how crappy?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

I'm a purist.  The book is incomplete.  Hence, Universal 0.5 PR (Poor).  Not that it matters, but the missing strip along the unbound vertical edge of the first interior leaf effects the story panels on page 2 much more than the splash panel on page 1.  On the bright side, it looks like you snagged it for 2¢.  A great investment!  :headbang:

Repeat after me: Silver Age comics generally have 8 interior wraps (also known as 16 interior leaves or 32 interior pages).  Regardless of what CGC may say, it is impossible to have a single missing page.  A single wrap, yes.  A single leaf, yes.  A single page, no!  :preach:

1 hour ago, zzutak said:

I'm a purist.  The book is incomplete.  Hence, Universal 0.5 PR (Poor).  Not that it matters, but the missing strip along the unbound vertical edge of the first interior leaf effects the story panels on page 2 much more than the splash panel on page 1.  On the bright side, it looks like you snagged it for 2¢.  A great investment!  :headbang:

Repeat after me: Silver Age comics generally have 8 interior wraps (also known as 16 interior leaves or 32 interior pages).  Regardless of what CGC may say, it is impossible to have a single missing page.  A single wrap, yes.  A single leaf, yes.  A single page, no!  :preach:

Thanks...makes sense and for the record i did not pay 2 cents...i got it at a late 70s convention for $2. 🤪

3 hours ago, zzutak said:

Doesn't CGC note, section of page one missing does/does not affect story?

Worth having it cleaned and pressed to present better?

Technically a .5, as clipped art effects readability, but could be called a Qualified 2.0. A decent candidate for marrying the wrap from a coverless copy. It would still be a Q 2.0, but at least a complete book. 

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

As a true collector I take offense to your title...

"Crappy" = "Well Loved" and any Well Loved Copy is better than NO copy.

No offense intended...was in comparison to another issue someone had just posted. But it is true I don’t love it like other comics in my collection (ie the ones I bought to read vs have in my collection). 

4 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Qualified 2.5. $2.00 1975 $750(?) today. 14% Compounded annual return. Pretty smart investment!

I was just thinking about that...comics definitely my best asset class over the long term.  Last night my kids and i were calculating the percent gain on the batch of NM Thor’s 337-350 I bought for 60 cents each at the time (the only time I ever bought 5-6 copies of the same issue).  Pretty good return although one of these days I’ll need to get around to seeing how many CGC deems 9.8 to see just how good the return is!

12 minutes ago, Gman65NJ said:

I was just thinking about that...comics definitely my best asset class over the long term.  Last night my kids and i were calculating the percent gain on the batch of NM Thor’s 337-350 I bought for 60 cents each at the time (the only time I ever bought 5-6 copies of the same issue).  Pretty good return although one of these days I’ll need to get around to seeing how many CGC deems 9.8 to see just how good the return is!

Yessiree funny books have proven to be a great investment👍👍😷❤️❤️