• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone tell me what this "stain" is and can it be fixed.
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Newbie here with a question on what type of stain is on the back cover of my X-Men 107 and can it be removed.  I've seen Youtube videos where folks use magic eraser and absorbine? to remove dirt.   Not sure where I'd start with the attached photo though, or if there is even an option.  Thank you in advance.  I attached the front just so you can see the whole book.

X-Men 107 back.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, Jfend72 said:

Hi all,

Newbie here with a question on what type of stain is on the back cover of my X-Men 107 and can it be removed.  I've seen Youtube videos where folks use magic eraser and absorbine? to remove dirt.   Not sure where I'd start with the attached photo though, or if there is even an option.  Thank you in advance.  I attached the front just so you can see the whole book.

X-Men 107 back.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Front cover ink impression to the back cover. "Wet" stacked, the inks of the front cover had a weak ink pad stamp onto the back cover of your book. You can see the distinct pattern of the cover whites surrounded by color areas impressed upon your back cover. It's called transference.   

Along with that, there also looks to be some back cover transparency. That is, the inks of the inside back cover visible through the cover, usually the by-product of either a strong printing strike, off-gassing of the inks and inside pages through the cover, or a slight combination of both. 

Many white cover silver age books are prone to this and we see copies all the time that allow you to read almost the entire inside front cover right through from the front giving the book a dingy and sometimes "oily" and opaque, onion skin sort of look. 

Edited by James J Johnson

i don't know why it should be removed, or what value in doing so.

i don't know much about comics, but in the philately and numismatics hobbies, this is an as issued/printed/minted piece.

it is original, not doctored, and not post mint/post printing damage.

i guess comics are different, and i would also be interested in the answer.