• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Single Collector Negotiates To Buy All King In Black Original Art
1 1

40 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I wonder if "cornering the market" could also stall the market or even deflate the market (like if people know OA for a title is all tied up do they move on?)

Some of us do.

12 hours ago, RBerman said:

I bet we all have issues or whole series we'd love to own (and preserve) intact if price were no object. It's too late to accomplish for issues of the past, so the best one could hope for would be to find something brand new to hold onto.

Yeah I’d like the complete Amazing Fantasy 15 but some selfish bas tar donated it to the Library of Congress.

On 12/22/2020 at 7:03 AM, Varanis said:

Felix mentioned in his newsletter it sold to a curator for a museum. He mentioned the museum isn’t opened yet but has purchased land and would likely have an announcement soon. 

Virtual museums exist on the internet, and may even be a more common use of the term, as time goes by, than brick and mortar usage.

The Sleepwalker cover art I sold went to such a museum dedicated to the Sleepwalker character, and that collection is curated on Instagram.

Best, David

8 minutes ago, aokartman said:

The Sleepwalker cover art I sold went to such a museum dedicated to the Sleepwalker character, and that collection is curated on Instagram.

How incredibly unexciting. However I'm happy for you David getting your price, wherever it ended up.

17 minutes ago, aokartman said:

Virtual museums exist on the internet, and may even be a more common use of the term, as time goes by, than brick and mortar usage.

Best, David

Do you have a link to some examples of virtual museums? I find the concept really interesting. Have any utilized VR yet?

1 hour ago, aokartman said:

Best, David

Not trying to come across as a naysayer here, but what's the difference between such a virtual museum and an otherwise similarly curated Instagram account, or Pinterest board?  That's to say in both case you're just dealing with .jpeg/.png images, right?

2 hours ago, ShallowDan said:

Not trying to come across as a naysayer here, but what's the difference between such a virtual museum and an otherwise similarly curated Instagram account, or Pinterest board?  That's to say in both case you're just dealing with .jpeg/.png images, right?

Same as the differences between virtual galleries and brick and mortar galleries, I guess.  I was just referencing the use of the word museum in the context of Felix original remark and the explosion of the internet.  Did you know you can create your own gallery right here on the CGC boards?  David

3 hours ago, aokartman said:

Same as the differences between virtual galleries and brick and mortar galleries, I guess.  I was just referencing the use of the word museum in the context of Felix original remark and the explosion of the internet.  Did you know you can create your own gallery right here on the CGC boards?  David

Thanks.  As I mentioned, was just curious if there was any formal recognition or anything like that at play.  I know Bill has always used the term "gallery" for member boards on CAF, so I'm guessing it's a distinction without a difference for the most part.

But I'll happily take donations of all sorts, should anyone be so inclined!

7 hours ago, Varanis said:

Do you have a link to some examples of virtual museums? I find the concept really interesting. Have any utilized VR yet?

I think the most well known example in our neck of the woods is the Jack Kirby Museum and Research Center which is totally on-line. I consider it a real museum because of:

• It's tax exempt status
  • It's board of directors
  • It's activities to scan all of his existing work and make it available for viewing

Sounds like a museum to me.

As previously mentioned, this is a huge win for the artist and Felix but it is also a massive win for modern OA which has been somewhat overlooked. This is a massive price tag for a modern book, and I think we are going to see a lot more to follow as Disney continues to develop properties with newer characters. 

It seems OA somewhat lags behind comic trends, but with the boom in modern era key issues spiking throughout most of 2020, this is a logical extension. Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, Kamala Khan, and of course the king... Miles Morales have blown through their previous price ceilings in exponential degrees on the comic side. If this sale is any indication of things to come, we may be seeing the beginning of a market shift. 

4 hours ago, Xatari said:

As previously mentioned, this is a huge win for the artist and Felix but it is also a massive win for modern OA which has been somewhat overlooked. This is a massive price tag for a modern book

Was the price tag announced?

To save you future grief, I don't think you can be held responsible for selling complete issues and the buyer turns around and breaks them up sometime down the line. Not necessarily speaking about this instance of course. With that said, I think you've priced pages well enough that people who are looking for a quick buck will quickly have a rude awakening. Unless we're talking about Silver Surfer Black that is, hah.