• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration process that makes colored ink look and reflect metallic?

31 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Randall Dowling said:

Joey, I think I've seen this effect when someone used an odd release agent during pressing (mylar?).  Does that sound right to you?

When I first saw it, my gut reaction was dirty release paper. But Mylar could, and often does, mess with the gloss. Either way, I am sure it was a comedy of errors that resulted in the damage to the book. 

My gut feeling is a bad press. Who is the seller and the other "trusted presser"? What gives the seller a great rep on ebay? There are plenty of folks on there with high positive feedback who overgrade, overprice, don't know proper pressing techniques from a hole in the ground and some who are out-and-out shady or dishonest as well.

34 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

My gut feeling is a bad press. Who is the seller and the other "trusted presser"? What gives the seller a great rep on ebay? There are plenty of folks on there with high positive feedback who overgrade, overprice, don't know proper pressing techniques from a hole in the ground and some who are out-and-out shady or dishonest as well.

Yeah the seller does sell lots of raw books and there’s always the possibility that he knows.  But without clear evidence or a bad attitude, not gonna put anyone on blast.

Trusted presser is someone very public in FB groups who gave his opinion publicly so I’m sure it’s fine.  He’s James McCormack.  I’ve personally never used him but he seems very reputable.  I thought it could be the press too and he did mention that at first as a potential issue, in the end he thought not though, which is why I came here for another opinion.

To be clear, James was not involved in any way, just nice enough to try to help me extensively.  Good guy.

Edited by Aethnen

Letting folks know who the seller is has nothing to do with putting him on blast but with people looking out for one another. I'd like to know so that I don't wind up in a situation similar to yours. In the event he is a known malefactor, the information will only serve to help you and others.

42 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Letting folks know who the seller is has nothing to do with putting him on blast but with people looking out for one another. I'd like to know so that I don't wind up in a situation similar to yours. In the event he is a known malefactor, the information will only serve to help you and others.

If he’s a known malefactor then I don’t need to say his name.  Again, I don’t have reason to think he did anything wrong and he took the return so yeah, not conducting a witch hunt thanks.

10 hours ago, Aethnen said:

If he’s a known malefactor then I don’t need to say his name.  Again, I don’t have reason to think he did anything wrong and he took the return so yeah, not conducting a witch hunt thanks.

Okay, Chief! (thumbsu