• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book erroneously graded.

22 posts in this topic

Hello, 

First I didn’t know where to post this so I thought the newbie section might be my best choice. 

I’ve been grading books through CGC for about 10 years. I’ve had books come back better than I anticipated and books that didn’t grade out quite what where I thought they were. However I just had a book come back that from my perspective the grade isn’t even close to representing the book correctly. 

it’s a modern book thats near flawless as far as I can tell, yet CGC is calling it very fine. 

Usually when I disagree with a grade grader notes point me in the right direction and I see what brought the grade down or I chalk it up to I make a mistake and move forward from there. 

Two questions. Will CGC entertain me if I call them and inquire, secondly have others had  similar experiences with a book grading being totally out to lunch and what was the outcome. 

thank you 

Getting back a book from CGC that you think you know is graded lower than you think it should be can sometimes be confusing. Once, I bought an ASM 194 off of eBay. It had a grade of 6.0 with Off-White to White pages. When it arrived, it looked amazingly clean and crisp and better than the grade it was given. Over about a week, I kept coming back again and again to inspect the comic. I was so pleased that I had gotten such a nice looking 6.0. But, then one day I was like: "Wait a minute, let me buy the grader notes for this certification number". I read the notes, and everything the notes said about the reason the comic was graded a 6.0, I could find no evidence of on the comic at hand. I called CGC and they told me to resubmit the book for grading. I did have to pay to have the book regraded, but it was well worth it! I was told to write on the packing slip: "Please regrade. This comic looks like it may be a higher grade." I sent it off, and it came back with a corrected grade of 8.0 with White pages. I was thrilled. And the money I spent to have the book regraded was not enough to match the new increased value of the now much higher graded comic. I also got a new slab to boot. So, with all that said, if you think you should take the gamble, and resubmit, the monetary benefit, not to mention your overall satisfaction that the book is now graded to the standards you think it should've been in the first place, could certainly well outweigh any risk. Good luck!

13 minutes ago, AwesomeSauce said:
2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

???

Why the long face and question marks?

Because this isn't a professional response from CGC.

3 hours ago, AwesomeSauce said:

I was told to write on the packing slip: "Please regrade. This comic looks like it may be a higher grade." 

Well, IDK what to say. What I described is exactly what I was told by CGC customer service and did. Please, though, can you educate me as to the correct way I should go about this issue, if it presents itself in the future? I'd appreciate your knowledge.

Edited by AwesomeSauce

1 minute ago, AwesomeSauce said:

Well, IDK what to say. What I described is exactly what I was told by CGC customer service and did. Please, though, can you educate me as to the correct way I should go about this issue, if it presents itself in the future? I'd appreciate your knowledge.

5 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Because this isn't a professional response from CGC.

Sorry, forgot to quote ya.doh!

3 minutes ago, AwesomeSauce said:

I never said you did anything wrong.  

1 minute ago, AwesomeSauce said:

I guess I just mean that I'd hate to give anyone on here an idea that CGC won't normally honor. What do you mean by it not being a "professional response" by CGC?

It makes zero sense to write anything regarding a book's grade on the packing slip, as the graders are judging every book in a vacuum and according to its current state. Otherwise everyone would just write "9.8 please k thx" on every packing slip. 

16 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

My guess is the book has some kind of stain somewhere. Even the smallest stain can bring the grade down significantly.

That was my thought maybe I missed a stain somewhere. I’m likely going to break it out and have a close look. I feel like regardless of the outcome I learned something here. 

11 hours ago, Ryan. said:

It makes zero sense to write anything regarding a book's grade on the packing slip, as the graders are judging every book in a vacuum and according to its current state. Otherwise everyone would just write "9.8 please k thx" on every packing slip. 

I was once told to do something similar when a book of mine was graded incorrectly.   The book neglected an obvious defect and the label stated a qualifier that did not exist. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I was once told to do something similar when a book of mine was graded incorrectly.   The book neglected an obvious defect and the label stated a qualifier that did not exist. 

That sounds a little more specific than just, "this grade is too low".