• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Personal Project: I printed my own personal "Artist Edition" style hardcover book to showcase my favorite commissions
1 1

50 posts in this topic

Great idea !!  And I think it's also a way of making a contribution to the actual commissions.  Like when you pick out mattes and frames.  It's a way of adding to the art.

If you can, can you give us a rough idea of the cost for printing a one-off like that ??  And that also misses the cost of having a professional layout and design the book.

On 12/23/2020 at 8:52 PM, eewwnuk said:

Can you share who you used for printing?  This came out great!

I was lucky to find a place that was more of a turnkey process with a few printing options. You provide the PDF formatted to their specs and they do the rest. I felt the price was fair (especially considering my quantity) and I was pleasantly surprised by the overall quality. Currently trying another print job with them and hoping it turns out just as nice. 

Edited by PixelPusher

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Now the crit: in layout design it's more traditional (for good reason) to place your lesser image on the right (for the flip through draw) and your related better (or more finished/inked/bolder) image on the left side - to hold the viewer's time/interest for the long contemplation and back 'n forth comparison. Now there is the traditional way of doing things and then there's breaking walls and doing things differently to see if that works too...all good, just putting it out there and my lean is the more traditional/conservative approach. YMMV :)

Thanks! I appreciate the insight and that's one thing I went back and forth on.

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

That's different from my experience.  I think the layout is exceptional for this project.  The OP avoided a lot of common mistakes and kept it pretty simple and elegant.  Nice work!  (thumbsu

For me it seems also logical to put the pencil on the lift and the inked version on the right. (I'm also left-handed...)  It's a book to savour, not to flip through...

Anyway, respect!