• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

INVESTMENTS: Is it time to realize the truth?
3 3

185 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:
7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

RallyRd sells items from time to time.  I got an email today that they have sold the Super Mario Bros 2 sealed video game for $26.51 per share.  I fondly remember playing the game, so I bought two shares at $15 each when the item was offered.  I can take the $53.02 out next week, or leave it in there to buy shares of Journey into Mystery #83 when they're offered soon.

Maybe people would feel safer if shares were offered on Nasdaq or Dow Jones ect 

The best thing about the hardcopy investment outside of possible retail value is physically having it in your possession. If this site is a proven safe investment practice then a lot of personal securities are covered like fire/water and other sorts of damage

The thing is individual share holders should be able to sell their shares anytime they want

Sure, I'd love if there was a way to buy and sell shares in collectibles through standard brokerage.  My TDAmeritrade account would be fine.  Hasn't happened yet.

Since I claimed the idea for RallyRd was mine 20 years ago (except, I would have a better name - RallyRd is fine for shares in cars, but there isn't a "Rally Road" associated with comic books or sportscards)... I'll go ahead and add to the idea of other things that haven't happened yet.

My original "sales pitch" was "What if you could go to a museum and actually INVEST in your favorite pieces at the museum?"  Most museums are displaying items that belong to the wealthiest individuals in the world, and $10,000,000 items aren't going to change hands except to other wealthiest individuals in the world.  What if the item could stay right where it is, what if the ownership was 51% or 60% or 90% unchanged (still majority owned by the wealthy individual), but ANYONE could put $10 into a Michaelangelo sculpture?  $100 into the Mona Lisa?  $5,000 into King Tuts Gold Burial Mask?  

Why not?

Because it would take a lot of work... not because it wouldn't be a great idea.  The items are just sitting there, the owners don't need to sell, and the average person will never buy any of the museum items outright - much less pay to have them secured, insured, stored, etc.

But what if you could put some dollars into your favorite items at your local museum? Or ANY museum?  Or ANY item valued at $100,000?  Why not?  It could be fun to own a tiny share of the Mona Lisa, etc.  The average person could benefit.

I suspect SOME of those wealthiest individuals in the world wouldn't mind having 49% of some assets turned into equity they could use elsewhere.  Why lock up $200,000,000 on one painting, when you could own 51% of the painting and put $99,000,000 somewhere else?  The wealthy owners would benefit.

If these museums were ALSO showcases for potential investors, their traffic would increase, the interest would rise, the knowledge about all these amazing pieces would be more than academic.  A portion of every share traded could support the museum. The museums would benefit.

Every person interested would benefit from the idea.

Once there are shares in the Mona Lisa for sale, it shouldn't take much extra work to have a few display cases in museums for comics and sportscards worth $100,000+ in the new "Americana Wing" of the museum.  ANYTHING worth that much money could be fractionalized. 

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Sure, I'd love if there was a way to buy and sell shares in collectibles through standard brokerage.  My TDAmeritrade account would be fine.  Hasn't happened yet.

Since I claimed the idea for RallyRd was mine 20 years ago (except, I would have a better name - RallyRd is fine for shares in cars, but there isn't a "Rally Road" associated with comic books or sportscards)... I'll go ahead and add to the idea of other things that haven't happened yet.

My original "sales pitch" was "What if you could go to a museum and actually INVEST in your favorite pieces at the museum?"  Most museums are displaying items that belong to the wealthiest individuals in the world, and $10,000,000 items aren't going to change hands except to other wealthiest individuals in the world.  What if the item could stay right where it is, what if the ownership was 51% or 60% or 90% unchanged (still majority owned by the wealthy individual), but ANYONE could put $10 into a Michaelangelo sculpture?  $100 into the Mona Lisa?  $5,000 into King Tuts Gold Burial Mask?  

Why not?

Because it would take a lot of work... not because it wouldn't be a great idea.  The items are just sitting there, the owners don't need to sell, and the average person will never buy any of the museum items outright - much less pay to have them secured, insured, stored, etc.

But what if you could put some dollars into your favorite items at your local museum? Or ANY museum?  Or ANY item valued at $100,000?  Why not?  It could be fun to own a tiny share of the Mona Lisa, etc.  The average person could benefit.

I suspect SOME of those wealthiest individuals in the world wouldn't mind having 49% of some assets turned into equity they could use elsewhere.  Why lock up $200,000,000 on one painting, when you could own 51% of the painting and put $99,000,000 somewhere else?  The wealthy owners would benefit.

If these museums were ALSO showcases for potential investors, their traffic would increase, the interest would rise, the knowledge about all these amazing pieces would be more than academic.  A portion of every share traded could support the museum. The museums would benefit.

Every person interested would benefit from the idea.

Once there are shares in the Mona Lisa for sale, it shouldn't take much extra work to have a few display cases in museums for comics and sportscards worth $100,000+ in the new "Americana Wing" of the museum.  ANYTHING worth that much money could be fractionalized. 

I also think banks should hand out mortgages for collectibles

When it comes to collectibles like art ie Mona Lisa ect we are talking hundreds of millions of dollars

When it comes to comics they were heavily influenced and benefitted from movie/television exposure (far more then a museum in my opinion)

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I also think banks should hand out mortgages for collectibles

Are you saying that banks should take collectibles as collateral for loans?

Makes sense, but it would be very complicated for every bank to have expertise on staff about collectible values (realistic, worst-case values for the bank to expect after loan defaults).

Major cities could easily have a business that meets asset collateral needs greater than a pawn shop and less than Fannie Mae.

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Are you saying that banks should take collectibles as collateral for loans?

Makes sense, but it would be very complicated for every bank to have expertise on staff about collectible values (realistic, worst-case values for the bank to expect after loan defaults).

Major cities could easily have a business that meets asset collateral needs greater than a pawn shop and less than Fannie Mae.

Both

With staff expertise and knowledge of the market, banks could offer mortgages for people to buy collectibles

Returning to the art conversation 

I bet most kids know who Venom is before they would know who Van Gogh is. My point being is social media is the best exposure for comics, but this isn't a phase that collectibles are going through

What is the point of all this? What I don't like is this childish "own an action 1" sales pitch. It is childish like marketing REITs as "become a real estate mogul". If the pitch is a basket of high end keys has and will outperform the S&p 500, fine. These sorts of things exist for wine, fine art, etc. But it's just an investment vehicle, stop touting it as collectible ownership.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

There are many things that they are doing that should cause alarm.  Now I readily admit that at the going rate that certain books trade hands that collectables at a certain level are investment pieces.   However, this is a scam pure and simple.  

No, I am not going to publicly lay out how they can easily scam people.  Why publicly post a guidebook? However, I will reach out to them again as a prospective investor and ask a few questions to see what their responses are.  There are way too many issues here and after going through their user agreement and terms, I can see gaping holes in using them if they decide to make a few decisions regarding what they are doing with their collectables.  

There's no need, because at least four of us already laid out several of the ways they could scam folks back in the original "Rally Rd." thread.

Do we have to see another 50+ page thread regurgitating the myriad ways this continues to be a bad idea just because Greg decided to pimp it again?

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

There's no need, because at least four of us already laid out several of the ways they could scam folks back in the original "Rally Rd." thread.

Do we have to see another 50+ page thread regurgitating the myriad ways this continues to be a bad idea just because Greg decided to pimp it again?

I thought I had already outlined something but I could not find it.   Then I thought I was imagining it. 

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I thought I had already outlined something but I could not find it.   Then I thought I was imagining it. 

You been smoking to much Phish?

Just now, lizards2 said:

You been smoking to much Phish?

No NYE run this year... :( 

Besides, I don't do any of that stuff. 

Edited by Buzzetta

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Here's the original thread.

Note that Valiantman is nearly a one-man band here, accounting for 20% of the posts in the early pages as he (ahem!) valiantly tries to defend this dubious "investment" scheme in the face of near unanimous condemnation and ridicule - not on the grounds that "it's new," "it'll never work," etc. but on the numerous red flags laid out in Rally Rd.'s own literature.

4 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Note that Valiantman is nearly a one-man band here, accounting for 20% of the posts in the early pages as he (ahem!) valiantly tries to defend this dubious "investment" scheme in the face of near unanimous condemnation and ridicule - not on the grounds that "it's new," "it'll never work," etc. but on the numerous red flags laid out in Rally Rd.'s own literature.

Thank you !  Yup... I see where a few of us laid out the problems with this already.  This is deja vu all over again.

28 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

This is exhausting to read through, could you just provide the page #s of the scrutiny on this company and the outline of a possible scheme in place?

On 12/25/2020 at 3:07 AM, the blob said:

Don't they make glass that protects against light damage? Pretty sure folks don't want their Picasso drawing or expensive water color painting faded either. Or rare prints.

Museum paintings have suffered from light damage.  It is mitigated by using ultraviolet light-filtering picture frame glazing such as Acrylite OP-3 for water colors and pen and ink work etc and using LED lighting.  But the damage and fading that was already done, is done.  Oil paint is not as susceptible as water color and ink but the van goghs do not look the same as when they were originally painted.  It's also a good idea to keep people with a red dragon tattoo on their back out of the conservation room.

These are identical poster-sized reproductions of a painting entitled “Queen of Hearts” by artist Ramon Santiago. The “blue” version in the frame is suffering from extensive light damage caused by florescent lighting. The unframed “red” version of this same poster has been stored for decades in an archival storage box, and is as fresh & vibrant today as it was when these posters first came off the press in 1988.
https://sensing.konicaminolta.us/us/blog/how-does-lighting-affect-a-museums-artwork/

Light-Damage-Queen-1-copy-469x600.jpg

What UV light does is break double bonds in molecules.  Double bonds are found in colored compounds.  Same principle as bleaching clothes.  The grime is still there, you just cannot see it.

21 hours ago, the blob said:

Every adult size human in my house has a pistol crossbow and we have two hatchets (and a huge assortment of baseball bats, shovels, and a small sledge hammer) to finish the job if the bolt doesn't.

I have a razor sharp samurai short sword by my bed.  When I'm bored I sharpen it some more.

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:
3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

There are many things that they are doing that should cause alarm.  Now I readily admit that at the going rate that certain books trade hands that collectables at a certain level are investment pieces.   However, this is a scam pure and simple.  

No, I am not going to publicly lay out how they can easily scam people.  Why publicly post a guidebook? However, I will reach out to them again as a prospective investor and ask a few questions to see what their responses are.  There are way too many issues here and after going through their user agreement and terms, I can see gaping holes in using them if they decide to make a few decisions regarding what they are doing with their collectables.  

Expand  

So you are just going to offer your general baseless opinion?

:facepalm:

"It's better to remain silent..."

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm:

"It's better to remain silent..."

Apparently we had already laid out all the various issues in the other thread anyway so it is a moot point. 

In the meantime, I have to paint the trim. 

Spoiler

Now, before @lizards2's  eyes bulge out of his head, I assure everyone, I actually have a can of paint and have to paint the trim around a kitchen cabinet. 

Edited by Buzzetta

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Apparently we had already laid out all the various issues in the other thread anyway so it is a moot point. 

In the meantime, I have to paint the trim. 

Hide contents

Now, before @lizards2's  eyes bulge out of his head, I assure everyone, I actually have a can of paint and have to paint the trim around a kitchen cabinet. 

That's what she said.