• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Christmas came early...found in the attic

63 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, kav said:

Late 70s every month you went to comic shop there were 2 or 3 #1's.  Or more.  Ragman, eternals, starfire, john carter of mars, spectacular spider man-they really juiced the market and we gobbled em up-thought they would all be action #1's some day.

I think some of that was indeed an effort to milk the market with books that had "#1" on the cover. Some of them, at least, were also efforts by the publishers to give long-term contributors a new shot at a headline title. I think that's what got us Kirby's Eternals from Marvel and several Kanigher/Kubert creations at DC.

And let's be honest, Ragman was almost good. If I talked in general terms about a costume with superpowers derived from an evil origin, ultimately wielded by a long-suffering bearer who -- if not actually heroic in the traditional sense -- at least managed to make that power a net force for good, anyone would be excused for thinking I was discussing the origin and broad character arc of Venom. But when Ragman released, the black costume in Secret Wars was nearly a decade away, and the development of Venom as an anti-hero even longer still. For that matter, DC's embrace of darker storylines in the wake of Miller's re-invention of Batman as the Dark Knight was still years in the future (as was Alan Moore's visionary take on Swamp Thing). In fact, this title launched just after the collapse of the horror/suspense genre, which probably did it no favors. Ragman really did have potential, but in 1976, that sort of story was a harder sell than it would have been in 1986. Kanigher was a brilliant writer... at least some of the time. He'd created Sgt. Rock back in the Golden Age (with Kubert's art, incidentally), and he wrote the Flash story in Showcase #4 that arguably started the Silver Age. But he was also famously mercurial and even more famously resistant to editorial oversight, and I think that shows in Ragman. A better editor's hand would have helped a great deal. Also, frankly, the series was some of his last major work, and I think his best days of writing were well behind him.

In general, I think there are a lot worse books from the fields of short-run '70s titles (off the top of my head? Prez). I'm not even sure that Ragman is the worst Kanigher/Kubert title, because I don't have much good to say about Rima the Jungle Girl.

On 12/24/2020 at 11:45 PM, Incredible Pulp said:

did you guys se the X-men 1 for $3, an AF15 for $60 mint, and a batman 1 mint for a grand....holy moley :insane:

Look at the ASM under 100...peanuts

Give it another 45 years and today’s prices will look just as crazy

19 hours ago, c_mkv said:

Give it another 45 years and today’s prices will look just as crazy

"Past performance is no guarantee of future results"  Don't assume an investment will continue to do well in the future simply because it's done well in the past. "Past performance is no guarantee of future results."

On 12/26/2020 at 3:00 PM, kav said:

Late 70s every month you went to comic shop there were 2 or 3 #1's.  Or more.  Ragman, eternals, starfire, john carter of mars, spectacular spider man-they really juiced the market and we gobbled em up-thought they would all be action #1's some day.

did you happen to pick up a Howard the Duck #1 off the rack back then?

Just now, kav said:

yep

well that one turned out to be gold for a minute if you sold it before the bubble burst 

Spectacular Spider-Man , not so much 

Nova's value has been picking up

i still can't believe She Hulk is not drek ,.. heck i have about five of them (and Kamandi also) and never even opened them up since cover price

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

Spectacular Spider-Man , not so much 

I think there's more copies of that book than dollar bills so trading one for the other a non starter.

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

did you happen to pick up a Howard the Duck #1 off the rack back then?

Oh yeah...those were my peak buying years so I got them all...Howard, she hulk nova micronauts rom shogun spiderwoman spectacular Spider-Man human fly, moon knight, dazzler, battle star galactica, Star Wars, etc

7 hours ago, Gman65NJ said:

Oh yeah...those were my peak buying years so I got them all...Howard, she hulk nova micronauts rom shogun spiderwoman spectacular Spider-Man human fly, moon knight, dazzler, battle star galactica, Star Wars, etc

dreck
/drek/

noun
INFORMAL
noun: drek
  1. rubbish; trash.
    "that era of #1 comics are pure dreck"

On 12/24/2020 at 10:53 PM, Artboy99 said:

20201224_204351.jpg

20201224_204402.jpg

20201224_204410.jpg

20201224_204423.jpg

20201224_204430.jpg

20201224_204443.jpg

20201224_204450.jpg

20201224_204502.jpg

20201224_204507.jpg

20201224_204515.jpg

20201224_204522.jpg

20201224_204529.jpg

20201224_204541.jpg

20201224_204615.jpg

20201224_204622.jpg

20201224_204637.jpg

so a filled out book represents about $20-50,000 in lost market value for those books (assuming you magically kept them all as 9.8s..) so the book should be worth a bundle, right!?!?!

17 minutes ago, the blob said:

so a filled out book represents about $20-50,000 in lost market value for those books (assuming you magically kept them all as 9.8s..) so the book should be worth a bundle, right!?!?!

If I were to sell it I guess I should cut out the missing stamps from my low/mid grade comics and complete the book. I have hundreds from that period with stamps intact so shouldn’t be difficult.

33 minutes ago, the blob said:

I personally have never cut a stamp from a comic, I bought that complete booklet at a local comic convention.

That said, I would have no issue cutting a stamp from a low grade, low value beater.

It is possible to complete the stamp booklet without cutting books of value, so instead of cutting a Hulk 181 for the Shanna stamp, cut it from a cheaper beat Astonishing Tales #23 or a Man-Thing #13.

Full booklets generally sell anywhere from $100 - $500 depending on condition.

Currently there are 2 graded booklets on Ebay at $1000 and $1500

35 minutes ago, Gman65NJ said:

If I were to sell it I guess I should cut out the missing stamps from my low/mid grade comics and complete the book. I have hundreds from that period with stamps intact so shouldn’t be difficult.

If you intend to sell the booklet I recommend selling it as is and let the next person complete it if they want. You likely can get the same value for it now as you would if it was complete.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

I personally have never cut a stamp from a comic, I bought that complete booklet at a local comic convention.

That said, I would have no issue cutting a stamp from a low grade, low value beater.

It is possible to complete the stamp booklet without cutting books of value, so instead of cutting a Hulk 181 for the Shanna stamp, cut it from a cheaper beat Astonishing Tales #23 or a Man-Thing #13.

Full booklets generally sell anywhere from $100 - $500 depending on condition.

Currently there are 2 graded booklets on Ebay at $1000 and $1500

Nor I. I did not know how these even worked. The stamps came out when I was in nursery school, so not on my radaar.