• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The New Stimulus Package !!!
4 4

157 posts in this topic

Will the new stimulus payout add another nail in the coffin of the vintage comic collector?

The last stimulus hand out saw prices rocket on key issues taking them beyond the budgets of many serious collectors. What will happen this time ? We saw ASM#300 skyrocket in just a few weeks last time. Now with $2000 to spend the pressure on the vintage comic market will surley rise and push prices to even more unsustainable and unaffordable levels.

Your thoughts would be both enlightening and appreciated.

Colin

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I would also add in all the "current" collectors who can't go to conventions. All the travel, restaurant, vehicle and hotel expenses and in-person buying, has been supplanted by on-line/eBay/auction house buying, with none of the frill expenses, except maybe postage.

I actually don't go to conventions due to travel, expenses, and not-my-cup-of-tea, but it seems there are a lot of board participants who do.

Conventions are fun Though

5 hours ago, Colin Nash said:

Will the new stimulus payout add another nail in the coffin of the vintage comic collector?

The last stimulus hand out saw prices rocket on key issues taking them beyond the budgets of many serious collectors. What will happen this time ? We saw ASM#300 skyrocket in just a few weeks last time. Now with $2000 to spend the pressure on the vintage comic market will surley rise and push prices to even more unsustainable and unaffordable levels.

Your thoughts would be both enlightening and appreciated.

Colin

I think any stimulus will have a positive effect on the GA/SA comic book market, especially on the low end material and increase demand.

1 minute ago, FoggyNelson said:

Yeah, no. I went to lots in Portland in my teens, and twenties, when they were all about the comics.  Now there are very few of the pure comics ones, and I live in a very remote place.

Portland is the last place in this state where I would travel to anymore, plus it is a 7 hour drive from here, one way. I may go to Reno, if they ever have one there again. That's only a 4 hour drive.

50 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:
56 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I would also add in all the "current" collectors who can't go to conventions. All the travel, restaurant, vehicle and hotel expenses and in-person buying, has been supplanted by on-line/eBay/auction house buying, with none of the frill expenses, except maybe postage.

I actually don't go to conventions due to travel, expenses, and not-my-cup-of-tea, but it seems there are a lot of board participants who do.

They can be, but generally I find its where overgrading and overpricing go to party hardy at the collector's expense. We have one big local show here in Montreal, and I find that when I do go I spend more time socializing and catching up with people I know, and I enjoy that much, but come home with very few comics. 

IMO there is unlikely to be any connection between one shot stimulus payments and collectibles, at the consumer end anyway. I would tend to side more with the view that its the crisis environment generally, and the persistence of low interest rates that continues to pump money (and new money) into the hobby. It may also be a factor, for those who operate on a large scale, that its also cheap and easy to borrow money to throw at a hobby which shows significantly stronger returns than conventional investments. This is part of the continuum stretching back to the last great crisis of 2008-2009. 

Certainly if the US stimulus has been blanket and indiscriminate as to need, than yes some people may have some bonus spending money that they don't need or deserve, but the amounts are not likely to make any difference in purchasing power in the hobby. Here in Canada the Federal government has been larger and more generous in its relief, but much of that came with conditions of need, and now the Canadian government has started the process of auditing and clawing it back. So here in Canada, at least, if you took money you know you didn't qualify for, and you went and spent it on your dream key, you will be paying that money back. But again, I doubt that money was spent on comics. Just my 2c

43 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

This got way too thoughtful responses for what was clearly a troll post.

Yes I'm probably naïve, but trolling for what exactly? The only thing that hasn't been brought up yet to explain the comic market is astrology and the search for extraterrestrial life...but maybe I'm asking for it... lol

4 minutes ago, crassus said:

Yes I'm probably naïve, but trolling for what exactly? The only thing that hasn't been brought up yet to explain the comic market is astrology and the search for extraterrestrial life...but maybe I'm asking for it... lol

New wave of comic collectors from Neptune driving market forces...  hm

image.gif.12df2bda2c40eb40922468d3d55a28ad.gif

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:
8 minutes ago, crassus said:

New wave of comic collectors from Neptune driving market forces...  hm

image.gif.12df2bda2c40eb40922468d3d55a28ad.gif

Actually, it's either Russians or Chinese, depending on your political affiliation...., :eyeroll:

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Actually, it's either Russians or Chinese, depending on your political affiliation...., :eyeroll:

Yup, they're hitting us right where we're most vulnerable, making us pay more for our collectibles, those :censored: will stop at nothing... lol

16 minutes ago, crassus said:

Trolling is its own reward.  First time on the internet?  :) :baiting:

2 minutes ago, crassus said:
5 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Trolling is its own reward.  First time on the internet?  :) :baiting:

:blush:  who said anything about it being my first time? 

Actually, crassus IS smarter than the average bear.

episode 5 GIF