• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The New Stimulus Package !!!
4 4

157 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

I worked through the pandemic and thankfully all the stores were closed so I banked nearly everything I made over the last 9 or so months the only thing I splurged on for myself was some guitars. 

watch out for the man from Mars-now he only eats guitars.

13 hours ago, kav said:

and when Buzz says rainy day fund he means it-new roof.

I believe in keeping a certain amount of "<spoon> you" money in the bank.  So if it comes to spending money on a comic or stock or going into that rainy day fund, I will maintain the rainy day fund.  I was shocked to find out that I needed that roof after paying what I did for the bathroom.  I overpaid a corporation to do the bathroom as private contractors did not want to do a job within the village under village oversight and codes.   However, that money that I had where I could have bought a five figure book or my Superman 14 that I covet was part of that rainy day fund in case I needed a home repair or something all of a sudden. 

Edited by Buzzetta

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I believe in keeping a certain amount of "<spoon> you" money in the bank.  So if it comes to spending money on a comic or stock or going into that rainy day fund, I will maintain the rainy day fund.  I was shocked to find out that I needed that roof after paying what I did for the bathroom.  I overpaid a corporation to do the roof as private contractors did not want to do a job within the village under village oversight and codes.   However, that money that I had where I could have bought a five figure book or my Superman 14 that I covet was part of that rainy day fund in case I needed a home repair or something all of a sudden. 

what if your comic needs repair all of a sudden tho.

5 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I would also add in all the "current" collectors who can't go to conventions. All the travel, restaurant, vehicle and hotel expenses and in-person buying, has been supplanted by on-line/eBay/auction house buying, with none of the frill expenses, except maybe postage.

I actually don't go to conventions due to travel, expenses, and not-my-cup-of-tea, but it seems there are a lot of board participants who do.

I am with you on this.  There are many reports about how online shopping increased during the quarantine.  Now out of the number of people that gravitated toward online shopping for everything from clothes to food, it is predicted that a substantial amount will continue to utilize online shopping for things that they previously did not buy online.  They were forced to discover the convenience.

I believe that this is true with comic books and other collectables as well. It's not a big secret that some around here get comped or heavily discounted badges for NYCC and other events.  As I have mentioned, I don't think I would go if I had to pay full price for that show.  I definitely would not go for all four days. 

I do believe that we will see an increase in online collectable purchases as people will realize that going to a con and spending all that time and money for all of those expenses are not worth it to read up on information they are interested in, that the book that might be hanging on that wall can be found at several auctions throughout the year.   I always preferred Comiclink and other sites over negotiating the floor of the con and hoping to find something I am looking for.  I mean, two weeks ago, I got it in my head that I wanted a book and I negotiated a price for two books over on Reece's website.  Why would I want to spend a couple of hundred just to walk through the door to do the same? 

Then there were promoters and dealers... my lord.  Nobody took advantage of this pandemic like Hasbro. I don't expect them to ever do the con schedule like they used to.  They already pulled out of NYCC around eight years ago and I don't see them ever having the presence that they once did at SDCC.  They have been hosting live stream after livestream and have had reveals across all of their brands on social media.  Mondays have become 'Mando Mondays" where they reveal new Mandalorian product every Monday.  GI Joe has had it's own presentations as had Power Rangers and Transformers.   When you look at the attendance of those streams as well as the participation, there are more people watching there than at Hall H.  And then at the end of the presentation, they are led to Hasbro Pulse or directed toward other retailers to make the purchases that they were just introduced to.

That Razor Crest sale was quite successful.  It was the most successful Haslab product released so far and there is no doubt that it has to do with the new model of presentation and advertising that Hasbro switched to due to the pandemic.  It worked, it was successful and I believe it is here to stay. 

Edited by Buzzetta

I don't mind free conventions I go to several a year.

When you charge admission then you better have a lot of dealers or I am 
not coming. I don't need all the other extra stuff that doesn't interest me.
I want lots of comics I don't need the rest of the con experience. Its nice
if I have what I want first, but the rest isn't required. 

2 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I was one of those people. I am a retired teacher, but my current job is as a substitute teacher. On average, I earn about $2000 gross a month for subbing. When schools shut down at the end of March, I filed for unemployment. I originally felt guilty about this, but I had a friend that reminded me that I have paying taxes for 50+ years. I received $350 from my state unemployment plus $600 due to the CARES act. So, for April, May, and June, I was earning $3800 gross. I wasn't trying to game the system - I just filed for unemployment because my job went away for three months due to COVID-19. This is something I rarely say, but I don't feel guilty about it.

And I did use this money to enhance my collection. I bought an IH #1 CGC 1.5 with some of this money.

@Buzzetta

i have a friend that thinks she can get 600 a week unemployment even tho she only makes 100 a week can you clarify?

Reading the title and first post, I thought I missed some news.  But no, nothing has been done, so it should be "if", right?  "if" something (I expect something to get done, just the amount is in flux) gets done, I will be getting a graded ASM 8 to fill a hole.  It isn't a key book, so I hope the price does not go up. 

Edited by Spidey 62

i took the buyout from my company,pretty sweet, I'm out...going to sit on my for a year  then move to Nevada....  and take my books!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

20 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Is there really a direct correlation between the stimulus check and that factor directly affecting the vintage collectibles market?  My opinion is, it started in March with the crash.  The smartest people in the room, dumped more money on the lows in the market, then were able to increase their investments 30-50% depending on where they put it.   I put some money into the SPDR ETF. Currently my investment is up 52% since March.  I am not talking five figure profits, given the amount I could afford to put in.  But people with way more money than me, can and did do quite well.   That may be where the money is coming from, not $1200 bumps to us common folks. 

Thank you for all the discussion content (Yep, I've read them all). Much appreciated.

It seems there far more market forces at work here than just Stimulus money. It looks to have played only a small part in the overall picture, if any

Covid has definitely changed the way alot of collectors go about buy comics. Internet browesing and buying has increased across all kinds markets across the world. A shift in our normal habits, I think.

Colin