• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why did I get a purple label?
6 6

110 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, B2D327 said:

You can always crack it open and look at the interior of the cover edge to see if there’s any “bleed through”; proof positive of color touch. 298, 299 and 301 all have white covers so the need to color in any spine wear on those books isn’t really an issue.

This is what I would have done and documented each step of the process with video or pictures. I am eager to see what happens with this book. 

Edited by joeypost

36 minutes ago, Topnotchman said:

Your not able to identify if the comic in the slab is your original book?  

Unfortunately no. I'm not that studied at this craft, and while it looks like the same book, the minute details matter and I have no way of knowing. I only have one image of the book from before I sent it (it's at the beginning of this thread) and it didn't occur to me I needed to document it in detail. Naive of me in hindsight, but like I said, I'm new to all this.

It's too bad comics aren't printed with individual serial numbers, like dollar bills. That would make this a lot easier.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:56 PM, B2D327 said:

You can always crack it open and look at the interior of the cover edge to see if there’s any “bleed through”; proof positive of color touch. 298, 299 and 301 all have white covers so the need to color in any spine wear on those books isn’t really an issue.

They gave it a "B" designation. If it was marker and/or there was bleed thru, it would have gotten a "C".

B means colored pencil or crayon.

A means professional paint coloring.

On 12/29/2020 at 10:28 AM, TappanZee said:

Unfortunately no. I'm not that studied at this craft, and while it looks like the same book, the minute details matter and I have no way of knowing. I only have one image of the book from before I sent it (it's at the beginning of this thread) and it didn't occur to me I needed to document it in detail. Naive of me in hindsight, but like I said, I'm new to all this.

It's too bad comics aren't printed with individual serial numbers, like dollar bills. That would make this a lot easier.

I've always been satisfied with CGCs grading (not always happy, but always felt it was fair and accurate). Their restoration check this year however, I have a lot of doubts. Not sure if it's always been this inconsistent or I chose the wrong year to regrade some books. I sent in a purple FF1 that was previously graded by CGC. The old label said it was trimmed on one side. Just got the new grade yesterday and it's now been trimmed on two sides? Both of those graders can't be right :frustrated:

This worked my favor this year as well, when resto on the old table didn't appear on the new. (shrug)

4 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

They gave it a "B" designation. If it was marker and/or there was bleed thru, it would have gotten a "C".

B means colored pencil or crayon.

A means professional paint coloring.

B= obvious color touch upon close inspection OR using the listed materials. If he couldn’t detect it from the front cover, the evidence may show on the interior

BF846D07-0EC7-493C-8137-424FDB931A1B.jpeg

23 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

B= obvious color touch upon close inspection OR using the listed materials. If he couldn’t detect it from the front cover, the evidence may show on the interior

I believe that bleed thru gets it classified as poor.

That's why it is noted specifically in line two of the amateur "C" grade.

Markers bleed thru.

A different case but possible similar scenario. I have a 1986 fleer Jordan Rookie that I pulled out of the pack myself. I sent that card to Beckett and they sent it back ungraded. They claimed the card had been “trimmed”. I knew that was completely wrong. I pulled that card out of the pack myself in 1986. I then opened a PSA account sent the card into PSA and it came back graded a PSA7. If I wouldn’t have pulled that card out of a pack myself or if I would have bought that from an individual, I would have accepted Beckett’s evaluation and lost tons of money but I knew for a FACT that card was not trimmed. I would suggest doing that on this comic. Send it in to another grading company. If two different companies find color touch then you can at least sleep at night with those results. 

On 12/30/2020 at 4:15 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

I sent in a purple FF1 that was previously graded by CGC. The old label said it was trimmed on one side. Just got the new grade yesterday and it's now been trimmed on two sides? Both of those graders can't be right :frustrated:

I would guess that a different grader saw it this time, perhaps one with a keener eye for trimming. And even though we'd like to think they're omnipotent, graders don't always catch everything... 

4 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I would guess that a different grader saw it this time, perhaps one with a keener eye for trimming. And even though we'd like to think they're omnipotent, graders don't always catch everything... 

Does CGC ever audit their graders? Especially for restoration check. Like, resub 10 purple books. If the graders find what was on the original label they get a bonus. If they miss too many things, they get promoted to the mail room? (I'm kidding. I know it's a very small sample, but of the four purple books I resubmitted last year they all came back with either more resto detected, or previous resto missed). 

8 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Does CGC ever audit their graders? Especially for restoration check. Like, resub 10 purple books. If the graders find what was on the original label they get a bonus. If they miss too many things, they get promoted to the mail room? (I'm kidding. I know it's a very small sample, but of the four purple books I resubmitted last year they all came back with either more resto detected, or previous resto missed). 

I don't know of any auditing process, but I was implying that the books may have been seen by different graders the second time around. There are a lot more graders working at CGC these days...  (shrug)

4 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I don't know of any auditing process, but I was implying that the books may have been seen by different graders the second time around. There are a lot more graders working at CGC these days...  (shrug)

I knew what you were saying. Some variance from grader to grader is expected, which is why multiple graders see each book, yes? Or has that changed? (They're so busy, it's gotta be crazy these days). It seems like resto check is the one area that would definitely need multiple sets of experienced eyes. And they still miss things, or see things that aren't there. :eek:

12 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I knew what you were saying. Some variance from grader to grader is expected, which is why multiple graders see each book, yes? Or has that changed? (They're so busy, it's gotta be crazy these days). It seems like resto check is the one area that would definitely need multiple sets of experienced eyes. And they still miss things, or see things that aren't there. :eek:

doh!

17 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Not to mention they work under different lighting conditions.  It seems that bringing their own lights on the road isn't cost effective.

On 12/28/2020 at 9:53 AM, TappanZee said:

Quick update: I reached out to CGC this morning and they sent me a form for resubmission that includes a pre-paid shipping label. So far they are handling this in an appropriate and professional manner, which is definitely encouraging. I will update this post if and when this is resolved.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement from everyone here. I appreciate it. 

:wishluck:

8.0 is a book that usually has several spine ticks from being read several times. The color touch is given a "B" and should be obvious to see even through the slab.

If this is the same book that you sent them, I suggest it is possible over the time you had it before you bagged and boarded it, that the comic "accidentally" bumped into something to get stuff on the cover where they say it was detected as color touch.

**and another possibility: it actually is a different book. I can see some minor differences between the raw image and the slabbed one.

Edited by Artboy99

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

8.0 is a book that usually has several spine ticks from being read several times. The color touch is given a "B" and should be obvious to see even through the slab.

If this is the same book that you sent them, I suggest it is possible over the time you had it before you bagged and boarded it, that the comic "accidentally" bumped into something to get stuff on the cover where they say it was detected as color touch.

**and another possibility: it actually is a different book. I can see some minor differences between the raw image and the slabbed one.

Or - and hear me out here - there's color touch on it.