• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why did I get a purple label?
6 6

110 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I'd be more inclined to agree if I hadn't:

Resubbed a purple book with a small amount of CT and had it come back blue. 

Resubbed a purple C1 that came back C2

Resubbed a purple book with trimming on one edge and it came back with two edges trimmed.

Resubbed a purple book with zero trimming and had it come back with three edges trimmed. 

With that kind of variance, I'm open to the possibility that - and hear me out here - CGC goofed. 

Fair, but lets see what happens.

I don't think the two images are the same book. There is a white dot on one of the "300" numbers. The one by Spideys right (your left) knee while it isn't there on the graded one. There is also a white dot on the sole of Spideys foot on the ungraded copy that isn't on the graded one. Also, the lower left corner cover defect isn't the same on both books.

Edited by Randall Ries

Just now, sledgehammer said:

Can you explain what you are discerning from this photo of a wrinkled bag that makes it look like a chunk of the cover is missing?

300.jpg

I'm sorry. You are right. Thanks for correcting me. I meant the lower LEFT corner. While there is a tiny amount of damage to that corner, it is different damage on each book. Those white dots don't seem to be a photo blemish, either.

To me the books look to be the same - those white specks could just be the random inner surprises that show up in slabs (I see them all the time) - they don't appear to be actually on the book. I can see no other discernible flaw to match the two front cover images (a pre-graded back cover image, however, could easily have solved this debate as the slab back pic seems to have obvious identifiable marks). 2c

Edited by Sensei Ryan

2 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

I don't see it, and the level that Occam's Razor is fighting against that grand of a conspiracy might literally end the universe.

Literally. 

Really.

Really? You don't see the white dot on one of the numerical "300's" and it's missing from the other? And the one on the sole of the foot that's missing on the other? Oh ok. I guess I'm the one who's blind.

57 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

To me the books look to be the same - those white specks could just be the random inner surprises that show up in slabs (I see them all the time) - they don't appear to be actually on the book. I can see no other discernible flaw to match the two front cover images (a pre-graded back cover image, however, could easily have solved this debate as the slab back pic seems to have obvious identifiable marks). 2c

Well that is certainly possible. Hey, now! Don't you love it when the OP pretty much just abandons their own posts w/o adding any more info once everyone puts their Sherlock hats on? I'm out. Just don't care anymore.

2 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Well that is certainly possible. Hey, now! Don't you love it when the OP pretty much just abandons their own posts w/o adding any more info once everyone puts their Sherlock hats on? I'm out. Just don't care anymore.

It happens all the time on here but the OP may just be waiting for CGC to weigh in.  That'll be a while, I'm guessing.

Based on all the evidence presented, though, I still don't think CGC is in error here (and apparently that was not the popular opinion early on because I must be in the minority to not just blatantly believe what every new or semi-new poster claims is true or factual on the boards...especially after 3 decades of a book sitting in storage with little to no before raw pics and only memories to go on...but what do I know lol)

37 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Actually, he answered the question about the white spots on the first page of the thread.

:news:

This is an interesting thread. I admit I am not as knowledgeable as most here re grading, but while people are arguing about the colour touchup, there is not much discussion about the possibility of a mixup at CGC.

So here's my 2c worth...consider these images. The first two are from @TappanZee's book pre- and post- CGC. The others are some random ones I copied from various random "PGM ASM300" threads. I have added arrows at places of interest. The first is to the white dot that  @Randall Riespointed out; the right arrow indicates a small white dot on Spidey's mask. Neither of these are in the second image. Whether these come via the printing process or from handling, they can provide a unique identifier, as other copies have similar markings (also arrowed).  Also there seems to be a difference in colour of the OP's first book, but it's hard to say if this is due to lighting or the bag that it is in.

image.png.42f49dfc4e2336aa0ae6b27d6c175760.png

(The pics come out much smaller after being pasted here but you can see the originals of the first two on the first page of the thread). 

Edited by Albert Thurgood
corrected typo

16 hours ago, TappanZee said:

No official explanation of what happened, but I can't say I expected one. The either sent me the wrong book in the right case, or the right book in the wrong case. I'll probably never know.

Glad it worked out.

Didn't someone send a group of raw books to the 3 main grading companies a few years ago and compare results?

Would be interesting to do that with a group of unslabbed purple books.

On 02/01/2021 at 5:10 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

I'd be more inclined to agree if I hadn't:

Resubbed a purple book with a small amount of CT and had it come back blue. 

Resubbed a purple C1 that came back C2

Resubbed a purple book with trimming on one edge and it came back with two edges trimmed.

Resubbed a purple book with zero trimming and had it come back with three edges trimmed. 

With that kind of variance, I'm open to the possibility that - and hear me out here - CGC goofed. 

And it turns out you were right. Congrats to the OP!