• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why did I get a purple label?
6 6

110 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Something is amiss with CGC's resto check at the moment. I don't think it's always been this bad.

I remember lion's den telling us that the standard was only to put purple is you were sure it was restoration. Like the opposite of "by default". 

All the examples you mentioned, were they on recent submissions?

14 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I remember lion's den telling us that the standard was only to put purple is you were sure it was restoration. Like the opposite of "by default". 

Those examples were all in the last 8 months.

The latest was a purple FF1. The previous label said it was trimmed on the top. It came back trimmed top and bottom. The book is trimmed 1/8. The first grading they determined it was the top. The second grading they said it's 1/16 top AND bottom. I sent scans of other FF1 covers showing the exact same centering, which makes it pretty clear it's only trimmed on the top edge, but they took a second look and told me to pound sand.

In my mind, CGC saying it's trimmed on two sides is the equivalent (as far as value) of them trimming it, and it I didn't send the book in to be trimmed. 

1 hour ago, MatterEaterLad said:

In my mind, CGC saying it's trimmed on two sides is the equivalent (as far as value) of them trimming it, and it I didn't send the book in to be trimmed. 

Sorry to quote you twice, but I just thought of another question. Does a book with more than one ide trimmed really sell for less than a book where only one side is trimmed? Same for 2 sides vs 3 sides? I always thought the comparison for value was simply trimmed vs not trimmed and the amount of trimming was not really indicative.

Edited by William-James88

21 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Sorry to quote you twice, but I just thought of another question. Does a book with more than one ide trimmed really sell for less than a book where only one side is trimmed? Same for 2 sides vs 4 sides and the like? I always thought the comparison for value was simply trimmed vs not trimmed and the amount of trimming was not really indicative.

A book with 4 sides trimmed would be worth a lot less as now you have a load of loose pages without a spine :kidaround: 

11 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Sorry to quote you twice, but I just thought of another question. Does a book with more than one ide trimmed really sell for less than a book where only one side is trimmed? Same for 2 sides vs 4 sides and the like? I always thought the comparison for value was simply trimmed vs not trimmed and the amount of trimming was not really indicative.

If a book is trimmed, I'm guessing for most collectors the less trimming the better. So trimming on one side is better than two sides, all three sides, etc.

With the OP's book, if he had listened to those who basically said, "Tough luck," there would be a non-restored book floating around out there with a purple label. I agree with CGCs grading 99% of the time and I'm grateful they provide that service. But if their resto check is going to have any kind of integrity, the onus of their mistakes shouldn't be on the submitter. 

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I'm happy the OP was able to get this resolved, but I find this whole situation pretty embarrassing...