• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 3 directed by Patty Jenkins (TBD)
5 5

182 posts in this topic

Warner Bros. has greenlit a third “Wonder Woman” movie.

“As fans around the world continue to embrace Diana Prince, driving the strong opening weekend performance of Wonder Woman 1984, we are excited to be able continue her story with our real life Wonder Women – Gal and Patty – who will return to conclude the long-planned theatrical trilogy,” said Warner Bros. chief Toby Emmerich.

After adventures in 1918 and 1984, the just-announced Wonder Woman 3 could bring Diana Prince (Gal Gadot) back into the present-day DC Extended Universe. The long-hidden superheroine stepped out of the shadows in the modern-day DCEU in Zack Snyder's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, where a trinity formed for the first time, before fighting again alongside Batman (Ben Affleck) and a newly resurrected Superman (Henry Cavill) in Justice League. According to franchise star and producer Gadot, who reteams with her Wonder Woman and WW84 director Patty Jenkins on the threequel, it's time for the character's next solo film to bring Diana out of the past:

"I wouldn't go, like, to the '60s or to the '40s with Wonder Woman," Gadot recently told MTV News. "I feel like the past has been handled well, and now it's time to move on."

Jenkins has already hinted at Cheetah's return in Wonder Woman 3, which may not use the story she planned with WW84 co-writer Geoff Johns:

"I actually came up with a story, and Geoff Johns and I beat out an entire story for Wonder Woman 3 that we were super fired up about," Jenkins previously told CinemaBlend. "But I've never felt this way before as much as I do now. I don't think I'm doing it next, and so I sort of have to wait and see where we are in the world. It's interesting. What I wanted to talk about in this film [WW84] was very prescient to what I was feeling, and what you were feeling, was coming. So now? I'm not sure. So much has changed in the world."

Jenkins continued, "I still love the story that we came up with. I'm sure that parts of it would come over to it. But I'm trying to say, 'Don't decide.' Don't fall in love with anything. 'What would Wonder Woman do now?' What are you craving Wonder Woman to do in this world?"

The just-announced Wonder Woman 3 movie will have a traditional theatrical release, according to Warner Bros. It's been a big week for the Wonder Woman franchise. The long awaited Wonder Woman 1984 released on Christmas Day as part of a new hybrid strategy by WB. After encountering many delays due to COVID-19, the company decided to release the film simultaneously in open theaters and on HBO Max. Warner Bros. will continue this model with all of its 2021 movies, though the decision hasn't been without controversy. In Wonder Woman 1984's case, the release strategy seems to have paid off; the film scored the best opening weekend box office numbers since the pandemic began.

Wonder Woman 3: Everything We Know About The DC Movie

Wonder Woman 3 Will Not Be Set In The Past Like The First Two Movies
The first two entries in the Wonder Woman trilogy were set in 1918 and 1984, respectively, but the final entry in the franchise will not be set in the past, instead during contemporary times. Patty Jenkins touched on this during a 2019 interview with The Hollywood Reporter where she talked about Diana Prince’s story will end, saying:

"I’m not dying to do another period piece. It was funny, I read an article today on whether it would be in the future or what it would be. … It’s definitely one of those things we’ve talked about. I’m not pining to put it in the past again, because where are you going to go? I think it would be weird. You have to go forward. It’s definitely a contemporary story. That’s all I can say. And so where we put it and how that gets figured out, I haven’t totally nailed down."

The COVID-19 Pandemic Forced Patty Jenkins To Re-Evaluate The Wonder Woman 3 Story
At this point it has become a cliche to say the world is a different place now than it was in 2019, but the lingering effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and the way it changed people’s perspective on everything is something we will all continue to deal with for quite some time. This also happened to Patty Jenkins, who told Total Film in June 2020 that the health crisis affected the Wonder Woman 3 story:

"I’ve really hit the pause button. Because the truth is, where that plotline was coming from was our state of being six months ago. And so I want to make sure that I’m totally absorbing whatever the result of this pandemic is."

Wonder Woman 3 Will Have A Traditional Theatrical Release
When Wonder Woman 3 is eventually released, it won’t take the same route as Wonder Woman 1984 which say the superhero sequel opened in theaters and on HBO Max simultaneously in December 2020. Instead, the upcoming threequel will likely have a traditional theatrical release, according to Variety. This should come as no surprise especially considering how Warner Bros. has already announced that the studio will return to its theater-first model in 2022, bringing an end to the groundbreaking yet divisive streaming model.