• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have a scanner they bought this year that they recommend?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, dinesh_s said:

Looking to pick up one that can handle scanning the depth and size of a CGC book. Would love any suggestions if anyone has had a good experience. Thanks in advance!

I got this one, boys.

I asked for help on this pretty extensively earlier in the year.  The recommendation was the HP Scanjet 8300.  Got one used for $150 shipped and it has been great.

56 minutes ago, dinesh_s said:

Looking to pick up one that can handle scanning the depth and size of a CGC book. Would love any suggestions if anyone has had a good experience. Thanks in advance!

It has to be a massive one, to post in this sub-forum.

58 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Read this thread backwards.

Not sure why you quoted me to post this.  You're welcome to add the thread to the conversation--in fact, it's one of the threads I looked at when deciding on the 8300.  My endorsement of the 8300 is from personal use scanning CGC slabs exclusively and irrespective of any threads on the subject.

Edited by Poekaymon

1 minute ago, Poekaymon said:
58 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Read this thread backwards.

Expand  

Not sure why you quoted me to post this.  You're welcome to add the thread to the conversation--in fact, it's one of the threads I looked at when deciding on the 8300.  My endorsement of the 8300 is from personal use scanning CGC slabs exclusively and irrespective of any threads on the subject.

Just to give the OP different opinions. :foryou:

19 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Just glanced over to my right where I see the workhorse that is... 

It’s also a beast in terms of side. It would never fit in my tiny little office nook.

On 12/27/2020 at 4:02 PM, dinesh_s said:

I would get the HP Scanjet 8300

15 minutes ago, piper said:

It’s also a beast in terms of side. It would never fit in my tiny little office nook.

One thing I will say about the 8300... 

For Christmas I converted my mom and aunts slides and found a stash of pictures that everyone thought were lost and set up a family facebook group.  I catalogued around 3,000 images and slides from July through December 24th... On Christmas Eve I finally found my grandmother's wedding pictures.   

For the slides... Kodak slide scanner.

For the images, most of them were scanned by the HP 4250

However, it was the 8300 that was able to pick up the handwritten faded ink on the back of photos my grandfather carried around in Europe during the war.   They wrote messages to each other on those photos that he eventually brought back to the states.  However they all show wear from being in a pocket.  The HP 4250 just didn't 'see' some of it.  After that I was able to fool around with the settings and raise the ink back to life.  

I don't like using it for everything though I don't want to wear out the bulb or other components so I want to just use it for slabs. 

11 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

One thing I will say about the 8300... 

For Christmas I converted my mom and aunts slides and found a stash of pictures that everyone thought were lost and set up a family facebook group.  I catalogued around 3,000 images and slides from July through December 24th... On Christmas Eve I finally found my grandmother's wedding pictures.   

For the slides... Kodak slide scanner.

For the images, most of them were scanned by the HP 4250

However, it was the 8300 that was able to pick up the handwritten faded ink on the back of photos my grandfather carried around in Europe during the war.   They wrote messages to each other on those photos that he eventually brought back to the states.  However they all show wear from being in a pocket.  The HP 4250 just didn't 'see' some of it.  After that I was able to fool around with the settings and raise the ink back to life.  

I don't like using it for everything though I don't want to wear out the bulb or other components so I want to just use it for slabs. 

I have also used scanner to forensically bring up lost stuff-scan and manipulate color and what not.  Ps you can turn cell phone light into UV light with some tape and blue and purple sharpie.