• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does CGC consider Restoration that should NOT be

39 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

So does trimming need its own color label?

There used to be a green Qualified label ...I’m not even sure it’s utilized by CGC any more... that applied to staples and married pages (I think), but I believe that’s lumped into the Restored category today.  I’d argue that Qualified green label should be reconsidered for non-Restored, non-Conservation damage intentionally done to books that removes portions of actual original paper.  This includes trimming, clipped coupons, etc.

i’ll join Mitch on the staples and Timely in regard to Conservation probably being the better designation, and add that cleaning ...including chemical, if no color is removed... should be considered Conservation.  Pressing will always be controversial, some like it, some don’t, but that ship sailed long ago.  That said, since pressing is such a lucrative business, some of these other staples and cover cleaning should be a part of the professional blue label process since it’s arguably a Conservation tool that doesn’t add any foreign materials to the actual paper.

Note: I’d draw the line at interior whitening or other chemical processes that weaken and misrepresent the appearance of interior art.  Restoration would seem to be a fitting category for such processes.

I’m definitely caffeinated this morning!  :insane:

While trimming isn't restoration in the traditional sense, I have no problem with it being lumped in as it is either done to "improve" the appearance of a book (the goal of most restoration), or in some cases to give a uniform edge in a bound volume. 

I think tape and glue should be treated the same, whether you want to call them restoration, conservation, or just make note of them.  

15 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Trimming 

All trimming or just some of the “micro trimming”? There’s a difference between some of the hack off jobs and some of the micro trims that apparently CGC (and others) may or may not be able to spot anyway.

14 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

staple replacement with similar staples...has nothing to do with the book itself as long as the staples are from the same era...I know I complain about pressing the book...but rusty staples can ruin a book...replace if necessary to save book....

If you know what you’re doing and use the correct original time period staples you can get a universal without anyone being able to tell.

1 minute ago, Mmehdy said:

Still in theory it is the comic book which is collectable, not the staple......so I don't see restoration designation to be revenant.

I completely agree with you. I will not buy any book with rusty staples no matter how stellar other things might be on it due to the inevitable future of what rust will bring. I have zero problems with replacing staples with other original ones regardless of what CGC or others consider it. 

I’m not sure but it’s possible this process could be lumped in with someone replacing say the centerfold with another original page. Hence you now have a married book. I myself think it’s apples and oranges but others may think it’s the same.

CGC and Overstreet and others in the past and now can influence what the buying public accepts and considers restored or not but at the end of the day the majority of buyers make these calls. How the industry views restored books over the last couple of decades shows exactly that and how things change one way or another...

16 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

staple replacement with similar staples...has nothing to do with the book itself as long as the staples are from the same era...I know I complain about pressing the book...but rusty staples can ruin a book...replace if necessary to save book....

Agree 1000%.

18 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:
16 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Agree 1000%.

+1

Things I think should get a blue label with notation:

Small amount of glue on staples or spine

Rice paper

water cleaning and press

Tiny amounts of color touch or amateur color touch (no different than a name written on the cover, and less offensive)

And yeah, these are things that plague some of my books...:pullhair:

42 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Things I think should get a blue label with notation:

Small amount of glue on staples or spine

Rice paper

water cleaning and press

Tiny amounts of color touch or amateur color touch (no different than a name written on the cover, and less offensive)

And yeah, these are things that plague some of my books...:pullhair:

I tend to disagree with water cleaning and press, and tiny amount of color touch...its the idea....and I know I am old school, that comic book is what is, when you get it off the newsstand for from a collector who has purchased the book in original condition. Unrestored should be just that..ORIGINAL condition...that was the "old" term for unrestored before the professional restoring came in or just the first few years or so. it is a real shame, that something cannot be called for what it really is or appreciated for what it really is..it degrades the impossible copy kept in a wooden chest untouched and really defines rareness rather than manufactured and getting away with some restoring or upgrading which is not called that. Today...I do not even know if any book could be original other than Mile High copies. It just takes something away for comic book itself being special....and I think and every GA collector when he holds a book in his hands thinks back to the time it was on the newsstand ...that how it used to be in the "good" old days. Today, its can I pancake it up the grade ladder and pretend it was like this all along. 

Good, Bad, or Indifferent things change over time...I accept it, but I don't have like it.

17 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I tend to disagree with water cleaning and press, and tiny amount of color touch...its the idea....

Tiny color touches are no different than names written all over a cover that gets a blue label.  Check this out Mitch, which of these are more desirable?

Small amount of amateur color touch in the yellow and black areas on the center crease:

16545736775_cc880fd06d_c.jpg

Writing all over the cover:

16422771029_f29f9e4135_c.jpg