• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for new owner of AF 15
2 2

93 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, JJ P said:

so, proverbial story, my father passed away recently.  my mom said she was going to throw out the box of comics, asked if i wanted them.  Went through them the other day and found what i think is a very good 4.0-5.0 AF 15.  would love some advice if you have it.

Sorry for your loss.

29 minutes ago, JJ P said:

do i get it graded first regardless if i ultimately sell or save?

There is no way I would get it graded unless I was planning on selling it.  

29 minutes ago, JJ P said:

do i need insurance if I keep it?

It's something most here do.  It's possible to get a rider on your current insurance, but most here go with Collectibles Insurance Services

30 minutes ago, JJ P said:

if get it graded, do you insure the shipping?

If you do get it graded and you have CollectInsure they will tell you how to ship the comic so it's covered.  Otherwise, yes, I'd get it insured on the trip there.

30 minutes ago, JJ P said:

thoughts on keeping as investment?

I'm a collector not an investor, so unless it had value to me more than the cash I would get I would sell it.

31 minutes ago, JJ P said:

thoughts on waiting til release of spider-man 3 movie for increase in excitement/demand/value if selling is plan?

First off comic prices are shooting up very rapidly now.  Maybe they will crash (though the bubble burst has been predicted for 30 or 40 years now and comics still seem to be rising) maybe they will grow forever, no one really knows.  If you have enough cash in more traditional investments and you want to keep the comic as an alternative investment it would be fantastic, but if you don't have a lot of cash in more traditional investments I wouldn't advise you to keep such a large chunk in this non-traditional investment.  Especially if it's not an investment you know much about.

41 minutes ago, JJ P said:

so, proverbial story, my father passed away recently.  my mom said she was going to throw out the box of comics, asked if i wanted them.  Went through them the other day and found what i think is a very good 4.0-5.0 AF 15.  would love some advice if you have it.

do i get it graded first regardless if i ultimately sell or save?

do i need insurance if I keep it?

if get it graded, do you insure the shipping?

thoughts on keeping as investment?

thoughts on waiting til release of spider-man 3 movie for increase in excitement/demand/value if selling is plan?

learning all about a hobby i didn't know much about, in the past few days, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

440E2F8D-735F-49CB-9317-7E3670A6108C.jpeg

Pressed and graded-hand delivered if possible, walk thru.  I would be terrified to mail this.  Keep it for retirement.  In safe deposit box.

unless you are debt free and well off i would sell that AF15 in a heartbeat !! 

now how you go about selling it is a whole another story ...

a paid off mortgage is the #1 status symbol off them all ,,,

you will always remember you Father  no matter what ...

8 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Sorry for your loss.

There is no way I would get it graded unless I was planning on selling it.  

It's something most here do.  It's possible to get a rider on your current insurance, but most here go with Collectibles Insurance Services

If you do get it graded and you have CollectInsure they will tell you how to ship the comic so it's covered.  Otherwise, yes, I'd get it insured on the trip there.

I'm a collector not an investor, so unless it had value to me more than the cash I would get I would sell it.

First off comic prices are shooting up very rapidly now.  Maybe they will crash (though the bubble burst has been predicted for 30 or 40 years now and comics still seem to be rising) maybe they will grow forever, no one really knows.  If you have enough cash in more traditional investments and you want to keep the comic as an alternative investment it would be fantastic, but if you don't have a lot of cash in more traditional investments I wouldn't advise you to keep such a large chunk in this non-traditional investment.  Especially if it's not an investment you know much about.

So helpful, thank you!

10 minutes ago, JJ P said:

So helpful, thank you!

Take good photos before you send in-maybe video of you packaging it.  Just in case.  

36 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Just let me know how many offers you start getting and while you don't have to state who is sending them to you, it would be comical to see what prices are being offered... 

Having been in your situation and not being in the market for a copy, if you want pricing of what they are worth I would be happy to cut and paste.  However, I would get it pressed and graded.

Thank you!  Pressed, dry cleaned and graded or just pressed and graded?  Does CGC offer pressing or just grading?  Thanks for your help!

Very sorry to hear about your father. Having lost my own father a couple of years ago, I can sympathize...  :foryou:

This is a very attractive looking copy which would make a great investment. I'd certainly consider having it graded by CGC. It would cost some money to have it done, but in my opinion it would be well worth it. 

And yes, a book like this could justify a trip to Sarasota...  

Just now, The Lions Den said:

Very sorry to hear about your father. Having lost my own father a couple of years ago, I can sympathize...  :foryou:

This is a very attractive looking copy which would make a great investment. I'd certainly consider having it graded by CGC. It would cost some money to have it done, but in my opinion it would be well worth it. 

And yes, a book like this could justify a trip to Sarasota...  

i wondered about that...i read that maybe CGC not accepting walkins due to CV19, any feel for that?  Scared to death to send through mail/overnight.  And, thank you for the condolences.