• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for new owner of AF 15
2 2

93 posts in this topic

Some people have mentioned that you should do a "walk-through" grading at CGC, and ideally hand deliver it.  This is a great idea. It has also been noted that because of covid restrictions, that does not appear to be an option currently.  Regarding that, you should consider the following options:

1.  Take a bunch of pictures of your book, inside and and outside, just so in the case of the worst, you can prove which book is yours.  Maybe toss in a picture of a newspaper or current magazine in some of those pics. do this no matter what

2.  Contact CGC anyways, and see if they can make a special accommodation for you and your submission (they'd never admit publicly, but doesn't hurt for you personally to ask).  

3.  If you're not in a super hurry to submit, you could wait until CGC is accepting submissions in person again, then take it to Florida yourself.  Given that Florida seems to be on the 'looser' side of Covid restrictions (no judgment), I think it would be reasonable to think by June/July or earlier it might be an option.  (your own geography/finances might be a factor in this)

4.  There is a highly regarded presser (of course do more research on your own) who can help you with pressing/cleaning (obviously for money), who I believe lives in Florida and in the past generally hand delivers submissions to CGC.  Assuming you are satisfied after researching and asking that person enough questions, you could hand deliver your book to that person now (assuming you can meet that person in person), let them take some time to press/clean over the next few months, then when CGC accepts in-person submissions again they can submit for your book in person for you.  That person is here on the boards, called 'joeypost', I think he's been mentioned before in this thread.

5.  If you happen to live in/near the same city as a major auction house (like heritage, but there are others) and were planning to sell anyways, you can make an arrangement with them, where you give them the comic in person, and they handle the grading for you (and subsequent sale), and then you can just not think about it anymore essentially.  They take a huge cut, but there's a lot of value to not having the comic in your physical possession or finding customers or dealing with shipping or returns or paperwork or insurance.  Its not right for everyone, but its right for some people.  With a book like this, you should be able to negotiate some of the terms.  Just something to consider.

24 minutes ago, revat said:

Some people have mentioned that you should do a "walk-through" grading at CGC, and ideally hand deliver it.  This is a great idea. It has also been noted that because of covid restrictions, that does not appear to be an option currently.  Regarding that, you should consider the following options:

1.  Take a bunch of pictures of your book, inside and and outside, just so in the case of the worst, you can prove which book is yours.  Maybe toss in a picture of a newspaper or current magazine in some of those pics. do this no matter what

2.  Contact CGC anyways, and see if they can make a special accommodation for you and your submission (they'd never admit publicly, but doesn't hurt for you personally to ask).  

3.  If you're not in a super hurry to submit, you could wait until CGC is accepting submissions in person again, then take it to Florida yourself.  Given that Florida seems to be on the 'looser' side of Covid restrictions (no judgment), I think it would be reasonable to think by June/July or earlier it might be an option.  (your own geography/finances might be a factor in this)

4.  There is a highly regarded presser (of course do more research on your own) who can help you with pressing/cleaning (obviously for money), who I believe lives in Florida and in the past generally hand delivers submissions to CGC.  Assuming you are satisfied after researching and asking that person enough questions, you could hand deliver your book to that person now (assuming you can meet that person in person), let them take some time to press/clean over the next few months, then when CGC accepts in-person submissions again they can submit for your book in person for you.  That person is here on the boards, called 'joeypost', I think he's been mentioned before in this thread.

5.  If you happen to live in/near the same city as a major auction house (like heritage, but there are others) and were planning to sell anyways, you can make an arrangement with them, where you give them the comic in person, and they handle the grading for you (and subsequent sale), and then you can just not think about it anymore essentially.  They take a huge cut, but there's a lot of value to not having the comic in your physical possession or finding customers or dealing with shipping or returns or paperwork or insurance.  Its not right for everyone, but its right for some people.  With a book like this, you should be able to negotiate some of the terms.  Just something to consider.

Great info, really appreciate all the help and advice!

My sincere condolences OP. 

I didn't see this mentioned. NEVER ship this kind of valuable book via UPS or FedEx unless you have a 3rd party insurance policy that covers in-transit lost/damaged shipping liability.

Just because you can declare the value of the package for $40K does not equate to any kind of insurance coverage. The amount of actual insurance coverage from a Fed Ex/UPS is a pittance with respect to comic books.

UPS does offer Parcel Pro which is a separate insurance coverage for highly valuable shipments but I believe applicable for jewelry, loose stones etc.

USPS registered mail does offer up to $50K of legit liability coverage. However in your specific scenario with this raw comic, I'm not familiar with how heavy the burden is to prove current market value and how you could even do that with respect to condition grade vs. say had you bought this comic in certified CGC slab form off eBay and received a retail invoice and paid with your paypal account. 

God speed to you and your family. 

Hi Folks,

Let me just say how great you all have been in providing your insight and knowledge.  All the comments have been helpful.  I think i'm leaning towards retaining the comic as an investment.  My initial thoughts are to have it cleaned, pressed and graded.

My impression is some folks would advise against pressing and even more against cleaning.  Can I ask for specific feedback on the pros and cons of each process?

Once graded and slabbed, what are the recommendations for storage, are their storage companies for this type of collectible?  Any recommendations?  I think I would be too nervous to retain at home.  Does anyone know if I were to insure through my home insurance policy, is that not applicable if I store at a storage company and not in my home?

Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, astrometric said:

My sincere condolences OP. 

I didn't see this mentioned. NEVER ship this kind of valuable book via UPS or FedEx unless you have a 3rd party insurance policy that covers in-transit lost/damaged shipping liability.

Just because you can declare the value of the package for $40K does not equate to any kind of insurance coverage. The amount of actual insurance coverage from a Fed Ex/UPS is a pittance with respect to comic books.

UPS does offer Parcel Pro which is a separate insurance coverage for highly valuable shipments but I believe applicable for jewelry, loose stones etc.

USPS registered mail does offer up to $50K of legit liability coverage. However in your specific scenario with this raw comic, I'm not familiar with how heavy the burden is to prove current market value and how you could even do that with respect to condition grade vs. say had you bought this comic in certified CGC slab form off eBay and received a retail invoice and paid with your paypal account. 

God speed to you and your family. 

Thank you for this, yes, seems crazy to me to trust anyone other than a hand to hand courier to transport this.  I'm about 11 hours from Sarasota, so likely would just drive it to Joey/CGC.

8 minutes ago, JJ P said:

Hi Folks,

Let me just say how great you all have been in providing your insight and knowledge.  All the comments have been helpful.  I think i'm leaning towards retaining the comic as an investment.  My initial thoughts are to have it cleaned, pressed and graded.

My impression is some folks would advise against pressing and even more against cleaning.  Can I ask for specific feedback on the pros and cons of each process?

Once graded and slabbed, what are the recommendations for storage, are their storage companies for this type of collectible?  Any recommendations?  I think I would be too nervous to retain at home.  Does anyone know if I were to insure through my home insurance policy, is that not applicable if I store at a storage company and not in my home?

Thanks again!

Never put it in a storage locker with other stuff of yours. There have been horror stories in these boards of books going bye bye. As one earlier post stated check with a bank for a safe deposit box and ask the questions in that post. Also have it fully insured no matter where you keep it. 

1 minute ago, JJ P said:

Hi Folks,

Thanks again!

There's definitely other options, but I think many people are comfortable putting their most expensive book(s) in a safe deposit box at the bank.  

As for pressing (not all ecompassing)

Pros:  A lot of comics, especially low/mid grade comics will have some minor flaws that can easily be fixed with a press, which would improve both the grade and appearance of the comic.  Especially for a comic like AF15, any improvement could result in thousands of dollars more.

Cons:  As with pressing, or literally any additional handling of your comic, there is a risk of additional damage.  Even the best most experienced presser can have a bad day or make a mistake or encounter something weird, however unlikely.  Additionally, while CGC does not consider pressing to be restoration, MANY collectors do consider it to be restoration and that may affect how people feel about the comic.  

Note:  Ideally, a good, professional presser can look over the comic and talk to you about the potential avenues for improvement and risks BEFORE doing the work (especially for an AF 15).  Ideally the same person probably does comic cleaning, and can walk you through parts that could be improved with cleaning. In some cases there will be no opportunities for improvement through pressing or cleaning, which is fine too.

I would say in the event that you do give the book to a presser, make sure you discuss the insurance situation with that person as well.

Price on an AF15 has been depressed from a very active high in 2017-18 I would not rush to sell unless something serious compels you. That being said, get it pressed and slabbed at the least. Keep it in a cool place away from sunlight. When I sold mine, I had offers of 8-18K. I had one for my entire collection of 25 K. I passed but I spent a year really looking at what they were selling for. Yours is a typical marvel chipping copy which CGC does not deduct points for. Based on the similarities to mine, I think you have a 4.5,- 5.0 copy. The high price I saw was 55K but recently as poor as 30K.  So, patience is a virtue. 

Edited by Glassman10

1 hour ago, JJ P said:

Hi Folks,

Thanks again!

If you decide to keep the book, I would recommend storing it in a safe deposit box at a bank.

Ask questions of the bank regarding the climate control. Usually they are pretty good, regarding humidity, temp., etc.

An item at a bank SHOULD be pretty secure, but please note: "Remember that, by law, FDIC insurance covers only deposit accounts. Also, don't expect the bank to reimburse you for theft of or damage to the contents of your safe deposit box. If you want protection for the valuables in your safe deposit box or home safe, talk to your insurance agent."

Regardless of where you do end up storing it, keep some kind of documentation of the book... photos, notes, provenance (it was your dad's), and if you have it graded - the grader's notes and CGC #. If you're going to keep it as an investment, then treat it as such so that you have all the info about it on-hand, and make sure it is secured in a safe place.

There are some companies that insure collectibles - and comics specifically. They may be able to provide you with a better rate than your regular insurance company. I don't believe your home-owner's is going to cover the AF 15... at least not without some kind of specific rider written on it. There are also companies that insure safe deposit items specifically.

Either way - if you decide to sell now... or keep and sell later - I would recommend having it graded. Go the clean/press route if you want to (if you don't, someone else probably will after they buy it from you).

If you do not need the funds right now, be patient. This is a book that you can nearly always sit back and wait on for your asking price. It will go through some peaks and valleys (it's in a bit of a lull right now), but it is one of *the* grails of comic collecting. And you have a very nice copy.

16 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Sell it, use the proceeds to get a Porsche.  Take your mom out to a nice dinner in the Porsche. 

Life's short

There's wisdom in that. We're only alive for a short time. But we're dead forever. The open road, top down, traveling in a straight line at a rate of speed that the lane separation broken lines fuse into one continuous line; on your way to dinner, mom beside you, strapped in, your captive for the moment, screaming her head off and reaching for things that aren't there.......priceless. ^^

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

There's wisdom in that. We're only alive for a short time. But we're dead forever. The open road, top down, traveling in a straight line at a rate of speed that the lane separation broken lines fuse into one continuous line; on your way to dinner, mom beside you, strapped in, your captive for the moment, screaming her head off and reaching for things that aren't there.......priceless. ^^

I was telling my buddy I dont really have anyone to leave my comics to and he said why dont you sell them all and do something fun?  I told him the funnest thing I can think of is reading and collecting comics.
The thought of selling everything, going to Vegas, then coming home to an apartment empty of comics made  my stomach hurt.

I scanned though all the excellent advice and my advice would be the same as the majority, clean, press and grade the book for safe keeping. 

The one thing I might add that I didn’t see is if the book is graded and you choose to not sell in the event your book is passed on to your heirs they would likely appreciate the significance of the book easily. 

your mom was going to throw it way. If it was in a CGC case I bet the thought never crosses her mind. 

I’ve lost both my parents it’s tough, my condolences.