• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting goals for 2021
3 3

105 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

There is still plenty of affordable art out there, but yes it may not be the most famous or well known artist. If you enjoy the characters and still enjoy the hunt, you can find some affordable pieces in the diamond mine.

Quite true. When I got back into collecting art about five years ago, I only wanted Silver and Bronze Age (which is what I grew up on). I then discovered a few artist that I really like that were only in the past 10-20 years. As I have spent more time looking, I realized that there is tons of newer art that I find very appealing. I can pick up a piece or two every month (maybe more), and still feel like I'm very active. And every now and then I'll pick up a really nice piece from the SA/BA. 

44 minutes ago, brownies8701 said:

My goal is to finally break the seal and buy my first OA page.

Looking for a Batman page from the 80s.  Not picky, just something that I like.  I have my eyes on a few right now  hm

Welcome to the dissent into madness comic art collecting! Be sure to start a CAF gallery and post your Batman piece!

One of my goals is to go from a stack of pages in a binder to actually having the art displayed.  I think a big part of that for me is actually acquiring original pages that are actually "displayable".  

Guido Guidi, who does a lot of Transformers art, does a LOT of great, displayable pieces, but I'd like to branch out from that particular artist since I feel I've "over collected" (is that a thing?) his art.  Though, I'd never turn down a great splash or cover from him.  

I think I have maybe 5 pieces of comic art in my collection that's been published that I'd consider as good display pieces (i.e., no context needed to understand / appreciate).  I'd definitely like to get an "original marvel run" of Transformers piece that's nicer to look at. 

4 hours ago, brownies8701 said:

My goal is to finally break the seal and buy my first OA page.

Looking for a Batman page from the 80s.  Not picky, just something that I like.  I have my eyes on a few right now  hm

You make it sound like a girl who wants to lose her virginity. Just do it: odds are what you buy as your first love won’t be your best love. You gotta get your feet wet (or something else) for that.

On 1/20/2021 at 1:49 PM, delekkerste said:

I can think of so many other things I'd rather spend my money on these days. It's what caused me largely to jump ship to the card collecting hobby last year - prices are rocketing higher there too, even more %-wise than comic art, but, it's much cheaper in absolute dollar terms.  I'd rather pay $4K there for something that was $600 a couple years ago than $60K in the comic art market for something that was $15-20K a few years ago.   

Ok I’m going to commit the sin of thread drift. I can’t find the post where you talk about purchasing a likely counterfeit soccer card, but you wouldn’t know for sure until you received your for-real-legit card to compare it. What was the outcome of that?

1 minute ago, John E. said:

Ok I’m going to commit the sin of thread drift. I can’t find the post where you talk about purchasing a likely counterfeit soccer card, but you wouldn’t know for sure until you received your for-real-legit card to compare it. What was the outcome of that?

It proved to be inconclusive. I've been advised by the vintage collecting community that I should submit it to a grading company at some point and see if it gets flagged or not.  

37 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Money debasement may be the issue, but new blood in an expanding hobby base means they don't have the historical sense of pricing some of you have, and this means their sensibilities about what collecting entails (ie expectations) may be vastly different: complete books and various types of runs, portfolios upon portfolios of art, nah I'll take a one off as an example at what the old guard would consider a stupid price. I've left other hobbies this way because my brain can't move beyond the 10 years ago pricing. Nor can I make myself rebuy certain things that form parts of runs at 10x prices. I watch sales get knocked down and think, damn man you need 15 more of those to complete the run. Good luck with that. Their take, nah I'm good with an example. 

One of my more humbling experiences (which also continues to justify my spending) is seeing the pages upon pages of caf galleries that have a higher number of artists represented than I have pieces of art in my collection. Some of you guys had it very good for a long period of time.

I'm sure many of us would trade away our art to be 20 years younger!

5 hours ago, cstojano said:

Some of you guys had it very good for a long period of time.

No argument there.

5 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Nope. Maybe in another 20 I'll feel differently.

8 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

This is a point I make to anyone that will listen.

The thing Billionaire's will spend there money on the most, will be how to live longer (and be healthier). They don't need another house, company, sport franchise, etc. but youth or longevity, they will write that check in a heart beat. It's no secret that the richest men in the world, once they are older find a woman 20-30 years younger than them. To make them feel young and it usually cost a ton of money anyway. Do you really think they wouldn't give up half their money to be 20 years young. You bet.

3 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

once they are older find a woman 20-30 years younger than them. To make them feel young 

I don't think its to feel young.   I think its because biologically we're more attracted to women of child bearing age no matter old we get as men.    We generally aren't, as men, coupling with young women to try to be 20 again, we're coupling with young women out of our drive to procreate.  (shrug)

On 1/21/2021 at 8:53 AM, LastRaven said:

One of my goals is to go from a stack of pages in a binder to actually having the art displayed.  I think a big part of that for me is actually acquiring original pages that are actually "displayable".  

Guido Guidi, who does a lot of Transformers art, does a LOT of great, displayable pieces, but I'd like to branch out from that particular artist since I feel I've "over collected" (is that a thing?) his art.  Though, I'd never turn down a great splash or cover from him.  

I think I have maybe 5 pieces of comic art in my collection that's been published that I'd consider as good display pieces (i.e., no context needed to understand / appreciate).  I'd definitely like to get an "original marvel run" of Transformers piece that's nicer to look at. 

This is largely what keeps me in check with my collecting.

Are these pieces display worthy? If not, i'll just move on.

But secondly, do I even have room to display it if it's display worthy? I've seen a few collectors who litter their walls with nicely framed comic art, but it just looks like a mess and gives me anxiety because there is no order and everything is poorly aligned and crooked.

I like to have my art spread out throughout the house, here and there as opposed to having a small room where all my stuff is displayed.