• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting goals for 2021
3 3

105 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, brownies8701 said:

Well, I did it!  I lost my virginity today!  I ended up buying a Batman page from Albert Moy (Batman 304 Page 6).

http://www.albertmoy.com/gallerypiece.asp?Piece=16720  

ilikelot.jpg

Nice imagery; and I particularly like the wavy panel lines, which presumably is intending to indicate something dreamy or other dimensional in the story.  
Now, don’t forget to save the pant—er, invoice. For your records, of course

16 hours ago, brownies8701 said:

Well, I did it!  I lost my virginity today!  I ended up buying a Batman page from Albert Moy (Batman 304 Page 6).

http://www.albertmoy.com/gallerypiece.asp?Piece=16720  

ilikelot.jpg

I can't even remember the many who encouraged me after I bought my first OA... don't fall for it !  Blue pill red pill??

lol 

8 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

I can't even remember the many who encouraged me after I bought my first OA... don't fall for it !  Blue pill red pill??

lol 

I'm not sure a little blue pill was intended to stimulate the buying urge, but if you think it works, I'll take your word for it.

On 12/29/2020 at 3:22 PM, cloud cloddie said:

My main goal for next year is to put a book back together. 

On 12/29/2020 at 5:21 PM, cloud cloddie said:

I have a few different books I have a good portion of that I’m pretty sure I know where most of the rest are at. Just a matter of shaking loose the pages, which as most know is easier said than done. 

I kinda hit my goal. Not a lot of movement on the books I’m trying to put back together. 
But I did have the opportunity to buy the complete interiors to a book earlier in the year. Different artist for the cover and interiors, so who knows if I’ll have a reasonable shot at the cover at some point. 

On 12/29/2020 at 3:57 PM, delekkerste said:

For 2021, my only OA goals are:

1.  Sell more than I buy

2.  Don't buy anything unless it's so nostalgic that resistance is futile (e.g., Paul Smith X-Men #172-173 pages or other top 1-3% of favorites from 1983-86 should they become available)

I only bought 6 pieces in 2020, and 5 of them were small. Meanwhile, I sold about 9.5x more art (by $ value) than I bought, so, I largely succeeded with similar goals last year. :wishluck: 

Regarding my beginning of year goals:

1.  I didn't sell a single piece this year. Didn't really try or need to, though. #becausecrypto

2. Only acquired 4 pieces this year, including another X-Men #172 page and one of my very favorite Jim Lee X-Men pages. Did really well in staying in my lane and only buying the very most nostalgic pieces to me and passing on everything else.

2021 actually turned out to be my biggest collecting year ever...it's just that most of my spending went towards trading cards; sports and non-sports memorabilia (mostly programs, tickets, magazines, autographs); role-playing games, etc., which has just been so much more enjoyable than collecting OA given where prices are on the quality vintage pieces these days (typically 2-4x where prices were 5 years ago). A tiny sliver of what I've collected this year (along with some old favorites) can be found on my Instagram page here.

It's not that those other collectibles markets haven't also experienced significant price appreciation as well, but, in absolute dollar terms, there is still a huge number of ridiculously cool things you can buy for 2, 3 and 4 figures in those verticals. Can't really say that about the kind of comic art I like to collect...almost everything is now multiple 5-figures at a minimum, with a lot of things in the high 5 and even 6/multiple 6-figures these days.  More often than not, I'm content to just say "eh, don't need it that badly' and then go buy a bunch of cool cards, games, magazines, signed books/programs, toys, etc. on eBay and PWCC at a small fraction of the cost and get a lot more enjoyment out of them. 2c 

Edited by delekkerste

On 12/28/2020 at 10:12 PM, batman_fan said:

For artwork my goals are

1.  Peanuts Sunday (already have things in motion to have it in my hands early January).

2.  Peanuts daily

3.  Romita Spiderman page.

1.  Success, landed a 1959 Peanuts Sunday

2.  Fail !  Got my rear handy to me on everything I was chasing

3.  Fail !  Never even came close to snagging something

I’m a first appearance collector so I entered the year with a pretty big list of characters I wanted to track down. I was able to secure a good chunk of the ones I was after. 

I am currently working on one more big pieces that I’m hoping to close by the end of the year.

Now if one of you would just reach out and let go of a WWBN32 page, I’d be much obliged. :)

On 12/30/2020 at 11:14 AM, Mycroft said:

Copy paste 2020 goals ... remove a few, here are my 2021 goals :

- A nice X-Men/Batman/Spider-Man page

- A Perez/Davis/Wieringo page

- A Crossgen (Negation or Ruse) or Wildstorm (Majestic, StormWatch, Wildcats, Jet, Gen-Active ...) page

- A page from a fumetti and a page from a Archie comic

- Frame some pieces,

- Maybe commission a piece or two (that would be a first for me)

As always, the key is finding art that matches my tastes and my (small, by the forum standards) budget ...

I got a Spidey page, although a Ben Reilly one.

I also got an Archie complete short story.

I put myself on an artist commission list but didn't get any news.

But, on the illustration side, I bought ten (!) Jules Verne book covers cheaper than you could think possible + an magazine cover featuring Dolph Lundgren as the Punisher and ... Brigitte Lahaie !

Edited by Mycroft