• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forgotten and Overlooked Oddball Copper Age Plotlines

8 posts in this topic

I feel that in the 60s and 70s it was fairly easy to keep track of what was going on in comics. But DC confused matters in the 70s / early 80s by making the whole "two earths" thing a bigger deal and clearly DC felt like they needed to clean things up with Crisis. I was never a big DC guy, but I do like to read up on various characters and so on and I was thinking it would be cool if they figured out how to get Powergirl into the Supergirl TV show (she is supposed to be Kara, but she clearly is not the same person in the DC comics, so I dunno about that, being a couple of years older doesn't explain looking different and the 38 DDD...), which i think they'd need a different actress, but one who looks a lot like her, preferably with the body for the character... Anyway, reading up on Powergirl and her whole post-crisis false memories stuff, mystical, blah, blah, and what do you know, I didn't know she was in the pages of Warlord for like 8 issues after Warlord's world got sucked into the DCU. Admittedly, I've never read Warlord, just liked the covers,  but then in box diving I came across this issue of Warlord (122) with Power Girl on the cover (ok, not THIS one, but I have my own copy) and as I tend to buy any early Powergirl if it cheap enough, I did that (I probably have 10 copies of All Star 59...) and then did some research. It turns out Power Girl had been among the Warlord crowd since issue 116 and didn't make a cover appearance until 122! and that's the only one and then she leaves in 124. So it makes me wonder, what the heck was going on at DC? Now I understand Powergirl was not the popular character she is now back then, but was she foisted on Warlord by management and the creative team was so ticked off they refused to acknowledge her on the covers? (Grell was very much against Warlord being sucked into the DCU via Crisis, but he was gone by then). The book was slowly dying (Kudos, it had a 133 issue run, not bad), I assume they were trying to blend it with mainstream DCU somehow (they dragged some of the Third World/New Gods baddies in), yet they did nothing to advertise this fact? Anyway, just a weird tangent for a series to go off on, barely acknowledged in any of the covers, etc.... If I see them cheap enough I'll probably get the other issues one day, and I guess her whole magical story thing got written out of the DCU story eventually... 

)s-l1600.jpg

Edited by the blob

9 hours ago, the blob said:

I feel that in the 60s and 70s it was fairly easy to keep track of what was going on in comics. But DC confused matters in the 70s / early 80s by making the whole "two earths" thing a bigger deal and clearly DC felt like they needed to clean things up with Crisis. I was never a big DC guy, but I do like to read up on various characters and so on and I was thinking it would be cool if they figured out how to get Powergirl into the Supergirl TV show (she is supposed to be Kara, but she clearly is not the same person in the DC comics, so I dunno about that, being a couple of years older doesn't explain looking different and the 38 DDD...), which i think they'd need a different actress, but one who looks a lot like her, preferably with the body for the character... Anyway, reading up on Powergirl and her whole post-crisis false memories stuff, mystical, blah, blah, and what do you know, I didn't know she was in the pages of Warlord for like 8 issues after Warlord's world got sucked into the DCU. Admittedly, I've never read Warlord, just liked the covers,  but then in box diving I came across this issue of Warlord (122) with Power Girl on the cover (ok, not THIS one, but I have my own copy) and as I tend to buy any early Powergirl if it cheap enough, I did that (I probably have 10 copies of All Star 59...) and then did some research. It turns out Power Girl had been among the Warlord crowd since issue 116 and didn't make a cover appearance until 122! and that's the only one and then she leaves in 124. So it makes me wonder, what the heck was going on at DC? Now I understand Powergirl was not the popular character she is now back then, but was she foisted on Warlord by management and the creative team was so ticked off they refused to acknowledge her on the covers? (Grell was very much against Warlord being sucked into the DCU via Crisis, but he was gone by then). The book was slowly dying (Kudos, it had a 133 issue run, not bad), I assume they were trying to blend it with mainstream DCU somehow (they dragged some of the Third World/New Gods baddies in), yet they did nothing to advertise this fact? Anyway, just a weird tangent for a series to go off on, barely acknowledged in any of the covers, etc.... If I see them cheap enough I'll probably get the other issues one day, and I guess her whole magical story thing got written out of the DCU story eventually... 

)s-l1600.jpg

Does the interior Art Thibert art look better than the cover?

21 hours ago, the blob said:

(Grell was very much against Warlord being sucked into the DCU via Crisis, but he was gone by then).

Grell must have changed his tune because a couple years later he wrote this.

GA27.jpg

GA28.jpg

On 12/30/2020 at 10:49 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Does the interior Art Thibert art look better than the cover?

Looks like the cover might be signed "Bill Willingham"?  Hard to tell if that's what it says or "Bingham", but it's about the right timeframe for the little work Willingham did for DC?