• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on this ASM 3
1 1

39 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, PINWHEEL said:

Thanks everyone.  I'm going to work up the courage to pop that slab soon and take a look inside before sending it off for a press/cleaning and new slab.  Exciting but nerve-racking at the same time.  

Wait a minute. Who said this is over yet? There's one more issue to properly address! 

welcome.gif

Congrats on the happy results. I've bought 3 GA PGX books on the cheap and cracked them all. One a 4.0 that I sold as a raw 3.5 for twice what I paid, one a 6.0 that I still have and think the grade was right (and I bought for less than the cost of slabbing), but the 3rd was a disappointment, a 7.5 that I paid a 6.0 price for, that was more like a 6.5, but also had resto (slight CT, glue, and staple reinforcement), that I sold at a loss. The resto wasn't super obvious, but should have been caught by anyone being paid to grade.

I'd still take a gamble with a PGX book if the price was right, but not at more than a couple hundred. To me it's a bigger risk than buying raw, where at least you can usually return the book if you find problems. The biggest joke with PGX is that they would give 2.5 unrestored grades to GA books with notations of missing pages on the label. Not sure if they still do.

Edited by rjpb

On 3/10/2021 at 11:09 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

That's very nice looking for 5.5. Congrats!

The PGM thread has a few examples that are worse than that come back with a 5.5, so was hoping you would get a 6.

Not possible with a subscription crease, sadly. 5.5 was best  case scenario, glad it worked out for op.