• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Comic Youtube Channels and Forums (besides this one)
2 2

45 posts in this topic

For great knowledge on content and stories and artists, Comic Tropes is great.

If you want to watch an honest guy showcasing collection finds and CGC submission as well as some live auctions, Very Gary is great.

If you want updates on “hot” books and what is selling and trending, ComicTom is fine. I’m not sure what his angle is exactly but he and Gem Mint seem fine. I wonder how much they along with the folks who run the Key Collector app influence the market. I don’t know if they do or if they don’t or if it’s a good thing or a bad thing but I just tune in in case some of my dollar bin junk starts to have value and I can sell it to put towards comics I actually want.

Comic Book Palace is great. Guys in an actual comic shop talking about comics. I don’t think they’ve done an episode in a year or so but even watching their stuff from recent years is entertaining.

Regie Collects is also fine. Nice guy, gives some good info and has some knowledge.

As for forums, there is a classic comics forum but I find more consistent and engaging conversation here every second of every day so this has become my home primarily for posting!

On 1/1/2021 at 4:18 PM, FineCollector said:

Wasn't Gem Mint the guy who got busted by Paypal for forcing people to pay Friends and Family for his overpriced raffles?  Then he went on a rant to complain how unfair Paypal was, and that we should all boycott.  FK that guy.

I remember that video. Thought it was hysterical that he was admitting abusing PayPal's friends and family and furious that they froze his account for it. 

7 minutes ago, D84 said:

I remember that video. Thought it was hysterical that he was admitting abusing PayPal's friends and family and furious that they froze his account for it. 

He and ComicTom (though to be fair much more so for Comic Tom) are just wayyyyyy too concerned with what things are worth or are selling for, etc. ComicTom doesn't talk about comic book history, artists, the artform itself, usually unless it somehow ties into what this or that comic is selling for at the moment. Those guys just come across to me like the modern, youtube version of the old Wizard top ten and price guide pumping FOMO into the market on a daily basis. Sometimes they have an interesting chat, but I stopped watching.  I don't even get the feeling that Tom likes comics. He might like them very much, but it doesn't come across that way for me in the vids.

Comic Tropes I enjoy most of the time. I watch Very Gary because his endless collection hunting is entertaining and he seems pretty honest about what he finds.  ETAnick I pretty much watch all of his comic book content and his grading guide is priceless.  Pop Fun To Play has fun comic haul vids when he does them, which isn't nearly as often as his true love: Funko Pops, which I despise so I skip those vids.

Longbox Love Affair usually gets a watch out of me, as does Regie.  I found Comic Book Geezers recently and they are fun to watch.

Christ i watch too much youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/c/CartoonistKayfabe/

Cartoonist Kayfabe is the only comic related thing anywhere I watch. They are cartoonists and make comics so its way more interesting then all those youtube channels of just fanboys talking about comics and there's no collecting c-r-a-p or anything, just them talking about the art and design and everything about the art form of comics. Plus they have tons of great interviews with comic artists, from todd mcfarlane and rob leifeld to underground artists

Edited by catman76
i was censored thats why

I tried to like Kayfabe but couldn't get into it, although I was fascinated to hear Ed Piskor claim that Stan Lee had a ghost writer for his "Marvel Masterworks" introductions. I also try to get into a lot of comics history channels but I find they mostly just re-articulate stuff already printed in various TwoMorrows mags.

I've been curious about any official groups/clubs based around comics; I did see the Comic Book Fiend Club at Baltimore and was impressed at how proactive and organized they are (but don't want to join that club due to a mandatory rule to wear patches or something; I also don't think co-opting the mascot for punk band The Misfits is the best idea), but was wondering if there's anything more catering to older eras and newspaper strips as well.

19 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

I tried to like Kayfabe but couldn't get into it, although I was fascinated to hear Ed Piskor claim that Stan Lee had a ghost writer for his "Marvel Masterworks" introductions. I also try to get into a lot of comics history channels but I find they mostly just re-articulate stuff already printed in various TwoMorrows mags.

I've been curious about any official groups/clubs based around comics; I did see the Comic Book Fiend Club at Baltimore and was impressed at how proactive and organized they are (but don't want to join that club due to a mandatory rule to wear patches or something; I also don't think co-opting the mascot for punk band The Misfits is the best idea), but was wondering if there's anything more catering to older eras and newspaper strips as well.

Some of Kayfabe’s stuff is hit or miss, but I genuinely enjoy their content. 

I definitely have some different collecting habits and interests but I appreciate and enjoy their in depth analysis of comics as an art form. 

I got hooked with their review on The Dark Knight Returns Graphitti Designs Gallery Edition video, their critique on Weapon X by BWS, along with a few Outlaw comics vids. 

Not all their stuff is gold but they opened my eyes to stuff outside my box.

Top marks for that. 

1 hour ago, D2 said:

Some of Kayfabe’s stuff is hit or miss, but I genuinely enjoy their content. 

I definitely have some different collecting habits and interests but I appreciate and enjoy their in depth analysis of comics as an art form. 

I got hooked with their review on The Dark Knight Returns Graphitti Designs Gallery Edition video, their critique on Weapon X by BWS, along with a few Outlaw comics vids. 

Not all their stuff is gold but they opened my eyes to stuff outside my box.

Top marks for that. 

Yeah, I agree it's very well done and a quality product. I like Jim Rugg's art. A bit of it is too hipster-ish for me but I'm not knocking it, it's just a subjective thing. It's a very well done show done with passion from those guys and I want it to succeed, I just personally don't get into it too much. But they're doing well and don't need me! :P 

On 1/1/2021 at 3:18 PM, FineCollector said:

Wasn't Gem Mint the guy who got busted by Paypal for forcing people to pay Friends and Family for his overpriced raffles?  Then he went on a rant to complain how unfair Paypal was, and that we should all boycott.  FK that guy.

So many things wrong with this statement.

1. My raffles weren’t overpriced. I ran books for dealers at the GPA high and got them the 90 day avg. The difference was my fee.

2. When I did run raffles, which I don’t do anymore, the money wasn’t sent to my PayPal, it was sent to the dealers who’s books were being ran.

3. The point of the video was that PayPal would not tell me the reason why they banned my account. They never said it was due to “abusing friends and family.” If you scroll through comments of that video, I’m BY FAR, not the only one who this has happened to.

Boycott me? For what?

Does that mean my comic book and statue reviews are worthless now?

Not that I’m worried that your little post would cause any affect to me. I just happened to log on here and see a notification that I was mentioned.

Edited by Gem_Mint

2 minutes ago, Scream For Me Long Beach! said:

Not sure what kind of response you'll get 6 months later hm

Did you or any of the other dealers whose books you ran force people to use PayPal F+F to pay?

Lmao at “forced” people.

Yea we held guns to their heads and “forced” them.

Again, people love to bring up friends and family, yet this was NEVER mentioned during the conversations with PayPal.

Don’t you see sales via YouTube auctions and InstaGram sales where they ask people to use f/f? I see it all the time to this day.

3 minutes ago, Scream For Me Long Beach! said:

So that's a "yes"?

I don't buy on YT or IG because there's too many scammers. Asking for PayPal FF is usually the first clue...

No, it’s not a yes. Nobody is forced to do anything. If they didnt agree to the terms, they don’t have to buy.

10 minutes ago, Scream For Me Long Beach! said:

But you do encourage people to break the rules by using PayPal FF?

Again, I don’t see what that has to do with anything. 

I wasn’t using my PayPal account and PayPal would not tell me the reason why they cancelled my account.

They froze $6k and threatened to hold it for 6 months. These were funds from selling statues using goods and services.

Luckily I was able to get the money back by refunding my buyers and having them send through other means.

What really blows my mind throughout this ordeal is the small amount of collectors who side with the big corporations instead of their peers. It’s really mind blowing.

I really like a lot of the content on Tales from the Flipside. Good content and they are pretty funny. The Monday Show is cool and the Spec stuff is solid and entertaining

i responded to this thread not knowing it got hijacked and turned into a Gem Mint vs PayPal thread. Either way Flipside is pretty dope 

Edited by Dimez

3 hours ago, Gem_Mint said:

Not that I’m worried that your little post

I dunno. Responding to something half a year ago multiple times on a dead thread kinda looks like you are worried.