• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First SA appearance of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman?

18 posts in this topic

It seems like WW is the only one with a real definitive shift somewhere in the late 50s

50 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

For characters that never left (and thus never needed to be reintroduced) like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman the "1st Silver age appearance" note always feels like weaksauce marketing...

this is true, i guess they jiggied with her origin in issue 98. maybe they did the same with superman and batman too, but superman 146 is wayy too late to qualify and detective 265 doesn't seem to be enough

On 12/31/2020 at 10:26 PM, chuckfin said:

What are some clear differences for Wonder Woman for all the viewers who don't know? I encourage learning for all :)

Long time Golden Age WW artist H. G. Peter retired and his last issue was WW #97.  The following issue WW #98 (May 1958) has this notation at the Grand Comic book Database:

Bob Kanigher launches a Silver Age revamping of the book, starting from square one with a new, blonde Queen Hippolyta officiating the contest that sends Princess Diana to Man's World. In the next few issues, Diana will assume a secret identity as secretary to Col. Steve Trevor in Military Intelligence, and many of the old Golden Age villains will be relaunched.

And I'm in the camp that believes Batman entered the Silver Age with the Julie Schwartz New Look in Detective #327.  I realize the 1964 date offends some sensibilities, but if anything says Silver Age it is the arrival of the Julie Schwartz/John Broome/Carmine Infantino creative team.

Superman needs to be on or before Action #252 with the first Supergirl.  Maybe Action #242 (July 1958) the first Brainiac appearance.

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I feel strongly that there is no single, correct answer here. But I’ll nominate two contenders that have yet to be mentioned. 

Action 241 

Wonder Woman 105

Nothing feels right for bats.

Action 241 is a strong contender-first fortress of solitude.  Nothing says silver age like the fortress and all the hijinx that took place there.

2 hours ago, kav said:

Action 241 is a strong contender-first fortress of solitude.  Nothing says silver age like the fortress and all the hijinx that took place there.

That's what she said. 

It's not quite the same thing, but we can point to Superman #128 (April 1959) as the last appearance of the Golden Age Superman as the lead character.  It has a story that requires that Superman was never Superboy.  I think E. Nelson Bridwell was the one who originally pointed it out, but I'm not sure.

Mort Weisinger took over editorial duties with Superman 122 and Action 241. The titles then introduced the Fortress of Solitude, the bottle city of Kandor, Supergirl, Brainiac, etc. 

I like that solution a lot.  Today we take cross-title continuity for granted, but I believe Weisinger was the first to attempt it across any significant number of comics.  And there were a lot of Superman comics in 1958:  Superman, Action Comics, Superboy, Adventure Comics, Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, and not counting Worlds Finest, which I don't think was Weisinger's.  He called it the Superman "mythology" and things like the Legion of Super-Heroes, the bottle city of Kandor, the Phantom Zone, the Bizarros, etc. would be introduced in one title and then pop up in another several months later.  And he did it years before the Marvel Age of Comics came into being.  (thumbsu

Edited by Zonker

Just looked up the Overstreet Price Guide (45th ed.) and for the following titles, it states these are the 1st Silver Age issues:

• Action Comics #221
  • Superman #109
  • Batman #103
  • Detective Comics #236
  • Wonder Woman #98

2 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

Just looked up the Overstreet Price Guide (45th ed.) and for the following titles, it states these are the 1st Silver Age issues:

• Action Comics #221
  • Superman #109
  • Batman #103
  • Detective Comics #236
  • Wonder Woman #98

In the case of the first four, I think Overstreet started giving those designations years ago because the cover dates correspond, more or less, with Showcase #4 (Sep.-Oct. 1956). The only one I agree with is Wonder Woman #98 which is from 1958 but has a new art team and new origin.

I would have guessed everything after Green lantern #40 or Flash #123. At that point, they could start blaming everything on Earth 2. Or Earth 1. I like how they tried to clean it all up with "Crisis" and now what? How many Earths are there again? A zillion?