• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GOAL POSTS, 2021 (post'm, if you dare!)...
4 4

40 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, catrick339 said:

I only  have one real  collecting goal this year,  Been searching for a loooong  time now,  I'm looking for  a coverless  ACTION 2
with the first  two leaves  in nice  shape,  absolutely any other chaos or mayhem  is  acceptable, even preferred,  just to save some cash.  

I got a  complete cover  wrap several years back in  a big ol' box of parts,  and  have managed since then to get the rest of 
the interior, I just  need those  two outer wraps  to make up a complete copy.  

Most of you  have probably seen  my posts in  "wanted to buy", or  "I wanna get married".  The search still continues.  

In the  event  I  ever  get  the  last two  wraps  the whole thing is off to Matt or Susan to  make it up into  a whole copy,
Purple label be damned,   I  just want the whole comic,  :D

Here's my cover:

kkWwZbf.jpg

I know. A lofty but possible goal. I have a few parts books that I would love to complete myself. I recently completed a Mystery Men #28. I have owned it for over 35 years. I still have that New Adventure surfing cover I got from you from that same collection. I wanted it for the cover anyway and really don’t care if I ever complete it. (worship)

There aren't a ton of Golden Age books I am actively looking for and the ones I am interested in have gotten to expensive for me but I will be watching for the right copy of:

All Winners 1 (comes up often and not super expensive relative to other Timely's)

Sub-Mariner 1 (may have gotten too expensive for me)

Batman 4 (still sort of regret not going harder for the CLINK copy a little while back)

Batman 18 in the 6.5 to 8.0 range

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I would definitely go the upgrade path.  Restoring that copy would be crazy expensive.  It is a great book to own !

I'll probably go with upgrading and keep both. I'm pretty sure I own the worst complete copy out there.

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I know. A lofty but possible goal. I have a few parts books that I would love to complete myself. I recently completed a Mystery Men #28. I have owned it for over 35 years. I still have that New Adventure surfing cover I got from you from that same collection. I wanted it for the cover anyway and really don’t care if I ever complete it. (worship)

I hung onto  a  complete  wrap for  World's Finest 2 for  YEARS with nary a whiff of a coverless copy, finally  sold it last year, 
and lo and behold,  I just traded  some   early Thor  JIM's for  a complete WF 2 and an Archie's Madhouse 22.
All Things Come To Rick...eventually, lol

53 minutes ago, catrick339 said:

I hung onto  a  complete  wrap for  World's Finest 2 for  YEARS with nary a whiff of a coverless copy, finally  sold it last year, 
and lo and behold,  I just traded  some   early Thor  JIM's for  a complete WF 2 and an Archie's Madhouse 22.
All Things Come To Rick...eventually, lol

Well, as they say in the film biz, ...that's a wrap! (thumbsu

On 1/1/2021 at 10:07 AM, batman_fan said:

There aren't a ton of Golden Age books I am actively looking for and the ones I am interested in have gotten to expensive for me but I will be watching for the right copy of:

All Winners 1 (comes up often and not super expensive relative to other Timely's)

Sub-Mariner 1 (may have gotten too expensive for me)

Batman 4 (still sort of regret not going harder for the CLINK copy a little while back)

Batman 18 in the 6.5 to 8.0 range

All Winners #1 is a great choice as in the early days it was a very valuable book, it seems to have been lost over the years and with the SK Captain America, along with #2 I think those books have very bright future ahead given the record prices we will be seeing for Cap #1 in 2020...keep an eye for #2 also

On 1/2/2021 at 12:37 PM, Mmehdy said:

All Winners #1 is a great choice as in the early days it was a very valuable book, it seems to have been lost over the years and with the SK Captain America, along with #2 I think those books have very bright future ahead given the record prices we will be seeing for Cap #1 in 2020...keep an eye for #2 also

Pretty astute observations on keys and where they appear to be headed.  Agree that Timely S&K seem to have limitless potential.   :headbang:

Personally, my focus will likely be to zero in on books with phenomenal cover art (Lou Fine HITs, Jack Binder Prizes, etc.).  First issue keys are great bragging rights books, but tougher to acquire in grade ...not that I'd shy away from opportunities given the right situation.  But objectively, high grade keys also limit the number of books one can collect if budgeting purchases.  Keeping options open is the real key.  Just my (non-refundable) 2 cents.

:tink:

I've decided to seek out a few restored copies, preferably slight A's , of a few books I've always wanted but really can't afford as Blue labels.

An early Spectre, Pre Robin Bat, early Sandman, is where I'd like to start. Plus upgrade a few Silver/early Bronze books I have. I used to really ignore restored books but since I got a Purple Action 23 I kind of changed my feelings when it comes to restored GA keys and rare books as long as they aren't trimmed. When people ask "Why is the label purple" I say oh that's nothing hahaha.

Edited by Professor Chaos
spelling correction

Hey, fairly new here, and just got back into comic collecting.  One thing that has always drawn me into comics was the unbelievable art covers some of these magazines have. I have always been drawn to other ephemera from the pre-war, WWII era, as I think you just don't see those kinds of colors in todays printing anymore. In my previous comic collecting experience I really never focused on anything, but recently the Golden Age era of comics has reinvigorated me and I am focusing on collecting covers that I really like.  At this moment Schomburg is my favorite, so plans are to collect my favorite Schomburg covers.

4 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Hey, fairly new here, and just got back into comic collecting.  One thing that has always drawn me into comics was the unbelievable art covers some of these magazines have. I have always been drawn to other ephemera from the pre-war, WWII era, as I think you just don't see those kinds of colors in todays printing anymore. In my previous comic collecting experience I really never focused on anything, but recently the Golden Age era of comics has reinvigorated me and I am focusing on collecting covers that I really like.  At this moment Schomburg is my favorite, so plans are to collect my favorite Schomburg covers.

You'll have loads of fun scrolling through the Timely thread. (thumbsu

Spoiler

Here's the cover of Marvel Mystery #66 recreated by Alex Schomburg, a favorite of mine...

lf.thumb.jpeg.abcd385b826887787b285b00e4d2b456.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

You'll have loads of fun scrolling through the Timely thread. (thumbsu

Reveal hidden contents

Here's the cover of Marvel Mystery #66 recreated by Alex Schomburg, a favorite of mine...

lf.thumb.jpeg.abcd385b826887787b285b00e4d2b456.jpeg

Absolutely! It's one of my favorites.  I go there from time to time just to  drool.  :luhv: