• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attic find! Superman 1 (V2) 9.9 with a “modern grade” label

24 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, divad said:

No offense intended, but why do you have your slabs in the attic? hm

Honestly, I’m really not sure how they ended up there. Presuming moving from one house to another, the box got lost in the shuffle. Well, technically, two boxes. 

Edited by manofsteel

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

I thought grading was tighter tighter back then :whistle:

:grin: j/k That would be a great lost-and-found item, wish I had an attic with great stuff up there I had forgot about! :grin:

Does it not look like a 9.9?

15 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Super cool find! I bet that was really cheap when you first got it. Although not worth too much now either I don’t believe 🤔, even in that grade.

I believe I paid a cpl hundo for it in the early 2000’s. Last GPA sale was early 2018 for 700. There’s only 11 on the census, and I’ll bet very few have this label. Either way, I doubt I’ll be able to trade it for a real Supes 1, lol  

9 minutes ago, manofsteel said:

I believe I paid a cpl hundo for it in the early 2000’s. Last GPA sale was early 2018 for 700. There’s only 11 on the census, and I’ll bet very few have this label. Either way, I doubt I’ll be able to trade it for a real Supes 1, lol  

You could get a couple sweet Supes 1 pages for it though 😁

17 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

As of July 1, 2001, there were 7 with CGC 9.9 red labels and 1 that was CGC 10.0.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/6439

Hmm, wonder what happened to that 10.0.

The only reason it should have been removed from the CGC Census is that the label was sent back to CGC (and the book was de-slabbed).  I'm wondering, though, if there weren't some records entered as "test data" that made it into the data files of the CGC Census before that test data was deleted later.

One example that I know occurred was for Adventures of Superman #500 (the white bag edition, Reign of the Supermen) where the database showed 20 copies graded as CGC 0.5, which would make no sense because the book was basically worthless in 2003 (and pretty close to worthless today).  No one would submit 20 copies that grade CGC 0.5 for that book, but it was on the CGC Census in 2003. 

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/1646

I asked CGC about those when I found that recorded back in 2003 and I was told that CGC had created "sample slabs" to show off the product with random books in them (and random grades) but they entered them in the database as Adventures of Superman #500 CGC 0.5 because that's the kind of book they never expected anyone to submit... so it was "test data" that represented "sample slabs".  

I own one of those:

1998943284_0010955001_12001.jpg.cd8a2d8df664c867e355d9a2e8936a18.jpg

You can see what the book is --- Superman #78 CGC 9.8, but the CGC serial number points to Adventures of Superman #500 CGC 0.0.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/0010955001/

Since CGC 0.0 isn't a grade, these were reported as CGC 0.5 in the 2003 CGC Census.  The fun part is that the book is clearly from 1999-2001 based on the old red label, but the CGC Grade Date currently shows March 2012... so that particular test record has been altered/edited/tested again to have 2012 entered as the grading date.  It's possible it was part of a database update or an accident, since the "next" serial number in that series doesn't have a grade date at all. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/0010955002/

Long story short, I think the CGC 10.0 Superman #1 (1987) could have been an actual copy that was de-slabbed and the CGC label returned, or it could have just been a "test record" in the CGC database that was deleted later (with or without an accompanying CGC sample slab of some other/unknown book out in the world).